Joe Bonamassa Epiphone 1963 SG Custom - What are your Thoughts?

• Thread starter bobalu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bobalu

Reaction score
This is a new release of another Joe B. Epiphone (Joe Bonamassa 1963 SG Custom) but I haven't seen one yet in real life to try out. Notwithstanding, it comes with ProBuckers rather than Gibson pickups and is $1,949 Can.$. Much as I like Joe's special Epiphone runs, I think this has hit the limit with me for price vs. value. My opinion would be different if it at least came with Gibson pups, but the price is still really up there!

Just interested in what other peoples opinions are on this newest one. I do like it though. 🙂

3bolt79

Reaction score
Is it a Satin finish? If so, think Epiphone is pushing the limits with this one. A Gibson SG Standard is only a few hundred more. I don’t think these are as good a value as the 59 LP’s and 61 SG’s. But someone might. Maybe good used, someday.

Last edited:

awedmusic

Reaction score
Not much different than my Gibson 68 custom which has the full pick guard and gibson pups. The 63 Epi JB Custom seems to be a better build. The neck joint certainly is more secure. $1,400 is not excessive. Consider that it is a limited run of 300. About $420,000 total retail sales US won't bring much into Gibson's coffers. Not the economy of scale of the mass produced units. Set up was fine pretty much in tune. Flawless build quality, feels and plays just like a my Gibson. The probucker pups sound really good. Impressed the pots are full size and the pickup switch is Switchcraft brand. Most economy brand guitars don't use these quality components. And the out of phase middle pup was fixed. And the HSC is high quality and heavy duty.
Bottom line: it's a better guitar than my 68 Gibson SG custom. No kidding.

Guitarman

Reaction score
This is a new release of another Joe B. Epiphone (Joe Bonamassa 1963 SG Custom) but I haven't seen one yet in real life to try out. Notwithstanding, it comes with ProBuckers rather than Gibson pickups and is $1,949 Can.$. Much as I like Joe's special Epiphone runs, I think this has hit the limit with me for price vs. value. My opinion would be different if it at least came with Gibson pups, but the price is still really up there!

Just interested in what other peoples opinions are on this newest one. I do like it though. 🙂
I think Joe B. is one of the bombs of the guitar world. However, I collect Epi Elite/Elitist and many other brands. The Murphy Lab, Slash, Joe B. are, to me, add nauseum. I agree about the price vs. value statement. We are inundated with all these Artist models to the point that I had rather save the money and buy the "skin and bones models" without the packaging. Murphy Lab, insanely expensive-Gibson still in Chapter 11, and a slew of guitars only the upper 15% income earners can buy on a regular basis. IMHO it is overkill!!! I will take a Epi "Greeny" when they are released but I can buy several great guitars with the money Gibson wants to extort me to buy a guitar. . Give me some Peter Green, Gary Moore and Kirk Hammett all day long. But that $20,000 "Greeny" is frigging insanely priced. Disclaimer: Of my 73 guitars I own 6 "New" models and one of those is a '21 Gibson 1960's Standard in Tri Burst and a 2005 Gibson Supreme in Heritage Cherry. That's it-no more. And I have owned as many as 12 Gibson electrics at one time. Cut them loose for guitars as good or better for 1/2 the price!!!

Latest posts