Les Paul Special 2020 Neck Issue

Jeremy Newell

Reaction score
Sorry about the tangents.

tp get back to the original subject, not being able to get sufficient neck relief means there are a few possibilities. First one is that the neck has a back bow built in from the factory. There are a number of reasons for this, but seeing as it is a guitar under warranty, sending it back is probably best. Another point to consider is the gauge of the strings being used. Are you using unusually light gauge strings such that the string tension cannot pull forward enough to get sufficient relief? What string gauge are you using? Also, you said "...I have the truss rod so loose that it is snug....". Does this mean that there is a double acting truss rod in use (I don't know this guitar, which is why I am asking). If so, give it an additional quarter turn towards the loose side, if possible, and see if you can get neck relief that way. Do not force the truss rod nut, if you are getting a lot of resistance, then stop. Also no more than a quarter turn at a time, checking neck relief after each quarter turn.

Thanks for the advice. I have already sent it back and am waiting for a refund so I can by another. All of my research indicates that these guitars do not have a dual-action truss rod. When I eventually receive a replacement I will post my observations with the truss rod here for informational purposes.

Last edited:

Jeremy Newell

Reaction score
Upon further inspection the stud on the bass side for the wrap around bridge is pulling out of the guitar and already causing tuning issues. This one is going back too. Pictures attached. I'm a very bummed customer.

Attachments

• rps20201008_071651.jpg
    rps20201008_071651.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
  • rps20201008_071631.jpg
    rps20201008_071631.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 17
  • rps20201008_071601.jpg
    rps20201008_071601.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
Ishhh ... talk about unlucky.

If it was mine (not yours ... mine), I'd simply pull the bushing out and set it in glue. I did it with other used guitars and it sloved that for good.

Jeremy Newell

Reaction score

If it was mine (not yours ... mine), I'd simply pull the bushing out and set it in glue. I did it with other used guitars and it sloved that for good.

I thought about that, and if I had been playing it for a year or so, I likely would. I just don't think I should have to repair a brand new guitar out of the box.

BGood

Reaction score
I thought about that, and if I had been playing it for a year or so, I likely would. I just don't think I should have to repair a brand new guitar out of the box.
You going to try for a third one ?

BGood

Reaction score
I'm really on the fence. As a general rule I would not, I just like the guitar so much.
I'd go for the next one, they're really worth it.

And to you out there that want a deal on one, look at MF for Jeremy's last one with the bushing thing :)

Raiyn

Reaction score

Likewise. That's an easy enough fix. I don't know that I'd want to tempt fate in 2020 going for a third guitar over that.

Of course I accepted my G&L Doheny Tribute when Sweetwater put in a Black TUSQ nut instead of the white one (that would've matched) because "they were out". It played so nice and felt so good I decided it was a distinguishing feature of my new axe. I could have sent it back, no questions asked and had the right nut put in for free, but again 2020.

Latest posts