Les Paul Standard 50s or Standard ‘59?

• Thread starter Daniel Desmarais
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
I kinda want a Les Paul Standard ‘59. The thing is those are hard to come by. The guy at my local store said they’ve had a few in but they never last more than one day. And the Epiphone web site says they’re back ordered. Meanwhile the store has a couple of Standard 50s in different finishes hanging on the wall right now.

Bite the bullet and get a Standard 50s, or go on a quest to source a Standard’ 59?

Darkness

Reaction score
I was considering a 50s but when I saw the "extras" you get with a 59 I went hunting. Sweetwater and my local shop were looking at possibly 6 month waits. I did what I didn't want to do and called Guitar Center, they had a few in stock and I had it a week later. I'd say go hunting because if you settle you might still want a 59 and end up with 2 guitars.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
Can’t find any ‘59s anywhere. There are a few on Reverb. All are either $200+ over retail or are broken headstock sold “as is” at $0 discount.

Ive decided to use this pile of money to get a new acoustic instead, Taylor GS Mini. I’ll start saving again after that. I think the key will be to have the cash set aside so that when one becomes available then I can pull the trigger that day.

I guess the medallion on the back it correct - Limited Edition.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
I have 4 new ones and I used one..all dark burst...really..enjoy your 59!..best epi value imo..

So YOU’RE the reason there aren’t any anywhere!

Actually I blame asshats who buy them retail and then resell them on Reverb for a premium.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Actually I blame asshats who buy them retail and then resell them on Reverb for a premium.
Meh. If they weren't "limited edition" there wouldn't be the hype. Couple that with global shipping issues and it's a ready-made market for flippers. I've had my Squier Contemporary Series Jaguar on pre-order since January. I know I'll get one eventually and not at scalper prices.

Biddlin

Reaction score
1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-790b1fb8ff10e36c44909a89aafaba3f.jpg

$799 with case is a deal. I'd jump on it and buy one of the dark bursts if I had any dough.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
"I'd jump on it and buy one of the dark bursts if I had any dough."

No, cherry burst for a LP.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I was considering a 50s but when I saw the "extras" you get with a 59 I went hunting. Sweetwater and my local shop were looking at possibly 6 month waits. I did what I didn't want to do and called Guitar Center, they had a few in stock and I had it a week later. I'd say go hunting because if you settle you might still want a 59 and end up with 2 guitars.
...aaaand that would be bad, how?

Latest posts