Les Paul Ultra

• Thread starter Jonty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonty

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time since I posted but I hope someone can help.

I've been given a Les Paul Ultra to fix up by someone at work. I didn't even know these things existed until I was given it but they seem to be very unusual guitars.

It has the conventional humbuckers plus a NanoMag acoustic pickup sitting behind the last fret.

My question is - how are these things supposed to work? It works fine conventionally, with the cable plugged into the mono socket, but I can't seem to get the NanoMag to work. I've connected the "Stereo" output to an amp but I only get a very faint sound. I know the inputs look a mess at the minute but all connections seem to be OK. The toggle switch wasn't working initially but I've fixed that. There's a new battery in the battery compartment. ultra 2.jpg ultra 3.jpg ultra.jpg ultra4.jpg Am I missing something?

Biddlin

Reaction score
I know the inputs look a mess at the minute but all connections seem to be OK...Am I missing something?
A damp rag, perhaps. The nanomag uses a preamp, that's what the battery is for so I'd check the battery connections and contacts, and with the obvious damage to the jacks, I'd make sure they are solidly wired. contact Epiphone for a wiring diagram, if possible.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
It looks like by the schematic on the jack plating that you would have to plug in both jacks in to get the full “stereo” output.

It sounded like you just plugged in one cable to the nano-mag jack. That won’t work because it is part of a balanced circuit at that point and expects to see the other side.

It would be like you described, a faint sound. Like unplugging a stereo cable partially.

Hope that helps.

Pat

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
If you use the 'mono' output you can blend in (3 Vol pots - 1 Master-Tone) the nanomag to your humbucker pickups and go in your 'regular' amp

If you connect the 'stereo' nanomag output to an acoustic amp or into PA you'll basicly have a second guitarsound available
because the regular humbuckers still go into your regular amp

Electronics:
  • Alnico Classic & Classic Plus pickups
  • 1 Bridge & 1 Neck Volume
  • 1 Nano-Mag Volume
  • 1 Master Tone control
Nano-Mag:
  • 1 Shadow Nano-Mag pickup mounted to fingerboard
  • Bass, Treble & Gain controls on back of guitar
  • Mono & Stereo output jacks
  • 9 volt battery

here is the manual with wiring diagram

Attachments

• Epi LP-Ultra-II Nanomag - SH_NMG_LPU_2_Manual.pdf
    600.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Jonty

Reaction score
It looks like by the schematic on the jack plating that you would have to plug in both jacks in to get the full “stereo” output.

It sounded like you just plugged in one cable to the nano-mag jack. That won’t work because it is part of a balanced circuit at that point and expects to see the other side.

It would be like you described, a faint sound. Like unplugging a stereo cable partially.

Hope that helps.

Pat
It does help - thanks very much!

Jonty

Reaction score
If you use the 'mono' output you can blend in (3 Vol pots - 1 Master-Tone) the nanomag to your humbucker pickups and go in your 'regular' amp

If you connect the 'stereo' nanomag output to an acoustic amp or into PA you'll basicly have a second guitarsound available
because the regular humbuckers still go into your regular amp

Electronics:
  • Alnico Classic & Classic Plus pickups
  • 1 Bridge & 1 Neck Volume
  • 1 Nano-Mag Volume
  • 1 Master Tone control
Nano-Mag:
  • 1 Shadow Nano-Mag pickup mounted to fingerboard
  • Bass, Treble & Gain controls on back of guitar
  • Mono & Stereo output jacks
  • 9 volt battery

here is the manual with wiring diagram
That's brilliant, thanks for wiring diagram. I've managed to get the NanoMag working, just need to get it looking a bit more presentable now.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
That's brilliant, thanks for wiring diagram. I've managed to get the NanoMag working, just need to get it looking a bit more presentable now.

LOL I was noticing that it looked like this guy pulled it out of his shed or something. Definitely has not been shown any love in a long time.

That is a seriously nice guitar with a figured AAA maple top.
Get that beast shining again! :D

Pat

Latest posts