Locking Tuners

• Thread starter PasadenaSG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
Just replaced them with Grover 406c lockers. Direct replacement and perfect fit. I even used the epiphone threaded sleeves and screws. I tried to swap the epiphone keystone buttons onto the grovers but the hole is too small for the shaft so that didn't work so I'm going to order some keystones. For future reference if anyone cares the peghole size is 10mm.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I think locking tuners are unnecessary on hard tails. Just saying.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I think locking tuners are unnecessary on hard tails. Just saying.
Unnecessary? Perhaps, but they sure make string changes quick and you don't have to listen to the "tie yer strings" squad trying to tell you about how much tuning stability their kinked strings give them.
:p :cheers:

Can you tell I hate tying strings?

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
Unnecessary? Perhaps, but they sure make string changes quick and you don't have to listen to the "tie yer strings" squad trying to tell you about how much tuning stability their kinked strings give them.
:p :cheers:

Can you tell I hate tying strings?
The only downside for me is I spend more money on strings when I use lockers because I no longer put off changing them.

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
Well, now we can add "improved tone" to the made up list of justifications. :cheers: :rofl:
How did you arrive at that instead of my intended "I put off changing strings longer than I should because I hate changing strings and lockers make changing strings easier and faster for me"?

Raiyn

Reaction score
How did you arrive at that instead of my intended "I put off changing strings longer than I should because I hate changing strings and lockers make changing strings easier and faster for me"?
It was a joke.... hence the :rofl:

Besides, new strings sound better - so no real difficult mental gymnastics to arrive at "improved tone". The "made up list of justifications" is just what we tell the people who want to question every deviation from stock. As far as I'm concerned, if I like something, I'm using it. I might give a "reason" but ultimately it's my axe.

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
It was a joke.... hence the :rofl:

Besides, new strings sound better - so no real difficult mental gymnastics to arrive at "improved tone". The "made up list of justifications" is just what we tell the people who want to question every deviation from stock. As far as I'm concerned, if I like something, I'm using it. I might give a "reason" but ultimately it's my axe.
Ah. My sense of humor failed me. Got it. My bad.

TWANG

Reaction score
They haven't been for over 30 (closer to 40) years.
Grover USA exists so far as I know. One way to tell is the GROVER logo on each tuner. Less expensive (chinese) it's blurry and indistinct. On USA grovers the log is quite distinct in the lettering.
So your 30 or 40 years is definitely off by 30 40 years.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Grover USA exists so far as I know. One way to tell is the GROVER logo on each tuner. Less expensive (chinese) it's blurry and indistinct. On USA grovers the log is quite distinct in the lettering.
So your 30 or 40 years is definitely off by 30 40 years.
Sorry, corporate headquarters is in Cleveland, but they don't make anything.
Where's the factory? I don't dispute there are different levels, but they haven't been made in the states in decades. There is nothing on their site proclaiming "Made In USA" anywhere - which is something you'd think they'd highlight. Nope, they left for Taiwan in the 80's. Feel free to post any evidence to the contrary.

ErylT

Reaction score
I have an SG Muse on order that I will probably be replacing the tuners on with locking tuners. Has anyone done this with direct drop in tuners and if so what kind? I'm not going to do it if I have to drill or change anything besides the machines.
Drilling new pilot holes for the screws is usually a given. New tuners rarely match up. I use Schaller; like them ok. Check out StewMac, they give good info on the peg head hole size; the specs on your guitar should tell you the info on your stock tuners.

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
These days, re-drilling head stocks is not always necessary. If you use the Hipshot's Grip-lock locking tuners with their UMP plates, no re-drilling is necessary. Graph-Tec also has a similar idea for their Ratio tuners, but uses
individual plates.

I put the Hipshot Grip-lock tuners on my 2001 Les Paul Standard. No redrilling, and the tuners are rock solid. In my case, I used the open back locking tuners (for the 18:1 gear ratio), but some may like the closed back tuners (15:1 gear ratio, and a little bit heavier). Really good, smooth tuners. Used the UMP plates, so it took longer to remove the old tuners than it did to put the new ones on. The original tuners that were on the guitar were the "vintage style" with the Epiphone written on them, or at least 5 of them were, the sixth had no writing. All the old tuners were exceptionally gritty when being used, and 3 of them had excessive free play. I still have the old tuners, and will likely put them back on should I sell the Les Paul.

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
If you are asking about the Hipshot locking tuners, I don't loop any of the strings any more. Just pull straight through, lock the tuner down with the knob in the back, and tune to pitch.

Raiyn

Reaction score
If you are asking about the Hipshot locking tuners, I don't loop any of the strings any more. Just pull straight through, lock the tuner down with the knob in the back, and tune to pitch.

Typically the body weight of the guitar (as shown) is enough to pretension things. I usually do this seated with the guitar slightly over my feet so it's more controllable. The only variances in my technique vs his is that once I lock the string down I bend it up away from the headstock 90° and only clip my strings once everything is tuned and settled.

Latest posts