Loosen strings or not when adjusting action on TOM bridge?

• Thread starter PorkRinds
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PorkRinds

Reaction score
I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I was changing the strings and messed with the posts for the TOM bridge so I had to adjust them later to set the action. I had my strings in tune when I did this but I've heard some people say you should loosen your strings first.

Which was is correct? Will anything bad happen if I do it while the strings are in tune?

Raiyn

Reaction score
I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I was changing the strings and messed with the posts for the TOM bridge so I had to adjust them later to set the action. I had my strings in tune when I did this but I've heard some people say you should loosen your strings first.

Which was is correct? Will anything bad happen if I do it while the strings are in tune?
Going up (raising action) while in tune is BAD. You're fighting the load pressure (which adds friction) and adding to string tension. All sorts of bad ish can happen when you do that. Just don't.

Going down (lowering action) while in tune is generally fine as long as you're careful. You're reducing tension when you lower the bridge so while it might be a little sticky at first, it will get better because you're reducing the load pressure.

Best practice is to detune it to where the strings are a bit sloppy as this will make the adjustment easier due to reduced turning friction because the post isn't under full load.

Last edited:

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
if you have it tuned up to pitch, and you are lowering the TOM bridge, that will not be an issue.

If it is tuned up to pitch, and you are raising the TOM bridge, you
are putting more stress on the neck, and potentially risking breaking a string.

Rick Davey

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. I've had TOM bridges for many years, never worried about string tension when adjusting, and never had the slightest problem. Literally never even gave it a thought.

Of course, that was just five or six guitars over a 25 year period. I set them up once and leave them alone after that.

I wouldn't bother unless you need to make the adjusters easier to turn.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Of course, that was just five or six guitars over a 25 year period. I set them up once and leave them alone after that.
While that's normal - once you set them correctly you shouldn't ever need to mess with them - to do it properly you don't raise the bridge under tension. Way too easy to gooch yer rig doing stuff like that

Rick Davey

Reaction score
While that's normal - once you set them correctly you shouldn't ever need to mess with them - to do it properly you don't raise the bridge under tension. Way too easy to gooch yer rig doing stuff like that

Maybe I've been lucky (beats smart every time LOL). What actual consequences have you seen? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. That hardware is pretty stout.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Maybe I've been lucky (beats smart every time LOL). What actual consequences have you seen? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. That hardware is pretty stout.
I get them after the fact. On a TOM mostly the lasting scars are galling of the hardware. Tool marks (some outright gouges) where the tool slipped etc. If you're lucky you only mess up the replaceable hardware. If not, FREE RELICING!

It's way easier to raise the bridge when the tension is off because you're not fighting friction (vertical on the TOM, lateral on the tailpiece if that needs moving - both suck)

Having said that, StewMac sells an overpriced ($48!) :wow: lever for the fortunate son, but I'd rather just back the tension off, I'm not that lazy or pressed for time.

On something like a Strat, you're gonna strip the tiny Allen screws which is even more fun for the next guy who has to fix your gooch. Easy setup adjustment just turned into a hardware order and replacement. :cheers:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score

It's less a matter of what's correct than what's easiest.

As Kostas pointed out when you raise the bridge you'll increase string tension and the thumb wheel or screw may be harder to turn. When lowering the bridge just the opposite will be true.

Since no matter which direction you're going you'll likely need to re-tune anyway I typically loosen the strings anyway then tune back up to pitch. It's just easier when you aren't fighting string tension.

Keefoman

Reaction score
Agree with Raiyn. If you want the bridge higher, it’s definetly easier to loosen the string tension. The saddles on the bridge are commonly brass (covered in chrome) which is a relatively soft metal, so you risk enlargening the slots.

Latest posts