LP Info pls...

• Thread starter EpicJim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DHart

Reaction score
Great advice I will add that even if you still don't like the way the humbuckers sound all is not lost because you can change the magnets from alnico 2's to alnico 4's or alnico 5's to 2's etc I always hear about changing out the pickups for new ones and it's waste of your hard earned cash when you can use what the maker put inside of your cranium. here's a video

Finding the neck Gibson Classic '57 pickup a bit too warm for my liking, I replaced the magnet with an A5 magnet and the pickup totally came to life, rich and much more sparkly bright.

Other easy mods to increase tonal range:

1) replace the volume pot on the neck pickups with a higher resistance pot

2) remove the covers from the humbuckers

DHart

Reaction score
2 days ago I've got myself a 60s, Bourbon Burst, Epiphone LP Standard from my local Guitar Center.

Well, with all their greatness they took it off the wall and handed to me like as if it was an apple from a tree with nothing attached. No any kind of paper, spec sheet or tool or anything.

I understand it is not a $3000 Gibson Standard so it does not come with a hard case but at $700 + Tax at least it has to come with some sort of cheap a** gig bag or something.
That didn't bother me as much as this guitar was handed to me without any info.
I am 65 yrs old and in my life I never played a Gibson or any guitar with a humbuckers on it. I was always a Fender Telecaster guy since decades and as acoustic/electric I played either Taylor or Martin brands.
So I have no knowledge on humbuckers or any Les Paul specs etc. I assumed when you buy a brand new guitar from a corporate chain store it would come with some sort of information included.

In any case, when I registered here in order to search by my serial number all I got was where was it build and when... Useless info to me.
I already noticed the "Handcrafted in China" sticker behind the headstock and I don't really care about what city in China it was build.

So, as for the serial number I know it was built in February 2023... Anybody knows what Epiphone puts into these things? What model pups and electronics etc?

Thank you in advance,

SERIAL # 23021527465
You may find a bit of a different tonal response from changing to Gibson pickups - some (Classic '57s) will be warmer/less sparkly bright, some (Burstbucker Pros) perhaps plenty sparkly bright, others (490s) perhaps uninspiring.

Different tonal response doesn't necessarily mean "better". Just different. It's all about what kind of tonal response you want from the guitar.

Also, some guitars are inherently "dark" and putting in brighter pickups may not make a big difference. And some guitars are inherently bright, where going with a bright pickup may result in TOO bright. (Different pot values will influence how bright or dark the pickups will sound.)

Spend some time with the ProBuckers before you decide to change them out. They're very good pickups - IF their tone quality is pleasing to your ears.

Last edited:

Guitarman

Reaction score
2 days ago I've got myself a 60s, Bourbon Burst, Epiphone LP Standard from my local Guitar Center.

Well, with all their greatness they took it off the wall and handed to me like as if it was an apple from a tree with nothing attached. No any kind of paper, spec sheet or tool or anything.

I understand it is not a $3000 Gibson Standard so it does not come with a hard case but at $700 + Tax at least it has to come with some sort of cheap a** gig bag or something.
That didn't bother me as much as this guitar was handed to me without any info.
I am 65 yrs old and in my life I never played a Gibson or any guitar with a humbuckers on it. I was always a Fender Telecaster guy since decades and as acoustic/electric I played either Taylor or Martin brands.
So I have no knowledge on humbuckers or any Les Paul specs etc. I assumed when you buy a brand new guitar from a corporate chain store it would come with some sort of information included.

In any case, when I registered here in order to search by my serial number all I got was where was it build and when... Useless info to me.
I already noticed the "Handcrafted in China" sticker behind the headstock and I don't really care about what city in China it was build.

So, as for the serial number I know it was built in February 2023... Anybody knows what Epiphone puts into these things? What model pups and electronics etc?

Thank you in advance,

SERIAL # 23021527465
First of all, another reason Gibson is still in Chapter 11 and GC is either a great store with excellent personnel or it's like going to Lowe's Hardware and wondering where the customer service personnel are hiding! All new guitars should come with paperwork, final inspection sheet, booklets and most importantly, Warranty Card. I would go back and ask, somewhat persistently, that you want the docs. Our GC here in Columbia, SC is good if you are persistent and they do respond to me, possibly due to the amount of money I spend with them.

But, all that document should be with the guitar even if it does not come with a case. Schecter's do not come with a case unless you buy a high end model or a California Custom/USA made. But that is to be expected. By the way, I'm 64 and it would take me about 3 seconds to ask if all documentation is provided, BEFORE I give them any payment type. Or, I would just leave and order it from Sweetwater or a "We get it" store!!! Call Gibson customer service and throw them under the bus!!! That's how I do things, but with due respect until I feel they are not doing likewise!!!

DHart

Reaction score
Most of the time, when I buy whole, NEW guitars, I buy guitars that are still in the original factory sealed box.. I tend to shy away from demo models hanging on the wall. And even with new in the box... I don't give a damn about the flu-fru papers/stickers.

If buying off the wall, from a physical music store, like GC, personally, if the guitar is great, as I wish it to be, exactly as it is, and does not include a case, I'll take the box IF they can rustle one up (perhaps unlikely). And if they can't rustle up the original box... no biggie.

BUT, I couldn't give a care to waste the time fussing about the various stickers or generic paperwork - not worth the bother trying to rustle up. I've purchased five DOZENS of guitars, over the decades, and NEVER ONCE needed any kind of warranty coverage, of any kind, nor any of the generic paperwork that might come with the guitar.

If a guitar is a solid, well-put-together instrument... you will likely NEVER need anything else but the guitar - aside from a case of some sort, IF one is included.

A guitar coming off the rack, on the wall, in a physical store has to be something that I'm PERFECTLY set on/OK with buying, just as is, AND, the price has to be right! What else matters, really?

The rest of it is just cheap window dressing and really not worth getting your panties IN-A-WAD over - if you LOVE the guitar exactly as it is!

If you're buying something truly "special" of some sort, custom-shop, yada yada... of course, get whatever authentication documents you can get. Otherwise... play it, love it, move along.

Last edited:

Johnny Dubs

Reaction score
The Probuckers 2 & 3 in your LP are some of the best humbuckers out there. What you need to do is experiment with adjusting their height…. I always start with lowering the neck pickup to the plastic ring level (or below) and go on from there.
Agreed.

How low can you go? Mine are perfectly balanced (to me) and have a surfeit of tonez (to everyone, that’s my claim.)

Attachments

• IMG_6730.jpeg
    IMG_6730.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts