More GAS For LP/Rush Lovers.....

• Thread starter soulman969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
For me it's no issue because most of my playing is at home, sitting down. I haven't quite adjusted to playing it with a strap as of yet, but then I'm hardly adjusted to doing that with anything. Basically I used to rest the pinky-side of my hand along the bridge/strings to palm mute and now I rest the thumb-side of my hand on the bass end of the bridge pickup ring. It's actually become a bit more comfortable and palm muting is still easy enough. I'm playing my other guitars the same way now, and it doesn't really impact where the pick naturally hits the strings.

The bar is around though, and getting used:
View attachment 14953
Turns out I hadn't given Grace Under Pressure a proper listen and focused much on the guitar, but listening now that'll be on the list of vinyl I need to pick up for sure. My abilities are nowhere near Alex's though, especially looking at some of the solos on the Clockwork Angels video release. Wow. I certainly won't ever put the trem through his level of use and proficiency.

And for @Ron Pipes I wish I had a way to give a bit of a more scientific answer, but I can say that compared to my '50s Standards it is not near as substantial. Definitely thinner and unlike the '50s doesn't have huge and noticeable shoulders to it. Compared to "slim taper" though...the term has been used so long and so broadly by Epi it's hard to say what any one person has in mind for it. It definitely does not have the flat backed, almost D shaped profile many (especially bolt on) Epi's have had in the past. It's a pretty round, comfortable shape without being large, and without being small. It's in '60s territory for sure, but not so much in slim taper territory. I play thumb over probably a fair bit more than some would say a person should, and this fits into my hand very comfortable, where those D shapes to feel unnatural to me.

Alex took the whammy to another level with his chord playing on GUP. Its a great album too.

Thanks for posting that pic, she is a real beauty. :drool:

Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
@LSAR Excellent info, and good to know before I pull the trigger on one of these. I'm a huge, huge Lifeson fan, but I'm also a guitar player that struggles with Carpal Tunnel. I find that no matter how I play, and with or without a brace to keep the wrist straight and aligned, Epi's 60's slim taper profile is just not something I can get along with for much more than an hour or so on any given day. It has something to do with that flat back that just doesn't agree with my playing. Any other profile is pretty good with some better than others, but that flat back would have been a deal breaker.

So.....this is good news and I'll definitely be giving this the green light to try out. From the few pics I've seen of the neck it looks like something I can work with, but that can be difficult at best to determine from pics so you're info is spot on with what I was needing to know.

Welcome aboard Ron! So great to have you here.

Pat

Anton Evans

Reaction score
Here are some pics of mine. Needed a setup out of the case. Pretty flawless finish . Wobbly trem arm is the only problem with the trem Very comfy to sit and play with the belly cut and neck joint carve. Medium neck thickness. Feels nice. Adjusted the pup's and pole pieces and it sounds great. Love the piezo. All in all a very cool guitar.

dasherf17

Reaction score
https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...son-les-paul-standard-axcess-outfit-epiphone?

Rush to Get the Epiphone Alex Lifeson Les Paul
Epiphone honors real rock royalty with the Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess Standard, the brand’s latest signature release, designed in collaboration with the Officer of the Order of Canada and Rush co-founder himself.

54721_Epiphone_Alex_Lifeson_Les_Paul_Standard_Axcess_Outfit_ENALAVRBNF3_1_839945b9-b67a-41c8-8f49-6b9541b7fb32_689x.progressive.jpg
...um...no thanks...

Darkness

Reaction score
What is going on up there at the nut? Is that height adjustable?

Anton Evans

Reaction score
Got mine back after getting the nut filed down. It now plays beautifully. Bridge pickup sounds great. May swap out the neck pickup.

Space1999

Reaction score
Man thanks for the pics. That is one beautiful guitar.

Curious about you saying the Trem arm is wobbly…

What exactly did you mean by that?

I’m looking at those Graphtech mini saddles and thinking you could whammy the hell out of that thing and it won’t go out of tune.

If have Graphtech on all my guitfiddles and they are flawless with my Epi’s with Bigsby’s.

Pat

Latest posts