Need Opinions on a Tokai

• Thread starter David Wiese
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eS.G.

Reaction score
NICE. I have never owned one but certainly hear very good things.

RTH

Reaction score
Same here. Wish I could help more. You should check with the guys in the "Other Singlecuts" section at MLP. They really know their stuff on these Japanese Les Pauls.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I'm quite sure it is a chinese Tokai - not comparable with the MiJ Tokais

basicly differences as it is with Epi MiC,MiK // MiJ

the tailpiece height is just :wow:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I've asked a friend who is familar with all things Tokai,

his reply:

This Tokai Custom is a 2009 ALC-53
Earlier Korean examples had no serial numbers.
These have basswood bodies + maple necks.
Sales were poor on these so Tokai moved to mahogany body/maple neck construction for China models in mid 2013.
Besides slotted bridge posts and 3 screw TRC the serial number is a tip off on this one.
Japan used 7 digit numeral serial #'s, while some China factories used letter prefixes, as on this one.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

Claude Nein

Reaction score
I didnt realize there were Chinese Tokais.

I believe all the "ALS/ALC" models are either MIK/MIC's.

"Fairly new" models (last 3 years or so) that are true MIJ (LS & LC) start with "95" and higher. (at least from what I've gathered in this past year, while trying to get MIJ savy). I have an LS-95, and it is a spectacular instrument. (also for sale, BTW).

David Wiese

Reaction score
I believe all the "ALS/ALC" models are either MIK/MIC's.

"Fairly new" models (last 3 years or so) that are true MIJ (LS & LC) start with "95" and higher. (at least from what I've gathered in this past year, while trying to get MIJ savy). I have an LS-95, and it is a spectacular instrument. (also for sale, BTW).

Any pictures, and how much?

LucilleNoir

Reaction score
my personal advice: Dont buy the one in your link. If you want a Tokai, you need the "real" thing, be on the lookout for the 2 screws in the TrussRodCover.
3 screws in the TRC indicated a chinese one.

bloc

Reaction score
Yeah if it ain't Japanese made, avoid it. Also note where it's shipping from as lot of them are actually shipping from Japan which means fairly huge import fees.

So even though the price and shipping might seem low, when that guitar shows up at your doorstep there could be a surprising fee to pay.

RobertJohn

Reaction score
Has anyone played or owned one of these Tokai's? How's the quality compared to the Epiphone Korina Flying V? I found one on kijiji for $550 (I'd talk them down from that) and was curious if it was worth it or not compared to the Epis:hmm:
Tokai83KorFlyV_10.jpg

p1_u1uuk3jdc_ss.jpg

kytty

Reaction score
Early Japanese Tokai's were a great playing guitar and were popular here in Oz. They and Daions were intermediate level guitars offered right along side Gibsons and Fenders who they were blatantly tryiyung to copy.
You can still buy a brand new Tokai today strait out of the catalogues - most made in China
Check this out
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

Latest posts