New Epiphone Custom Pro

• Thread starter musicmaniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Got this new 2019 Custom Pro and am loving it! Fit and finish are stellar and so is the sound and playability. Nice weight too. I'm even liking the push pull pots which I figured I wouldn't use. I know a lot of people would have got the 2020 model but I can't find anything wrong with these.
DSCN0078.jpg

StevieG

Reaction score
She's a beaut! I have a 2016 that is my go-to. It is the only guitar I've ever bought that I left bone stock because it is perfect as-is.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I know these are supposed to have rosewood boards but my board has almost no grain in it. Is it possible that it's ebony?

talentless_hack

Reaction score
I know these are supposed to have rosewood boards but my board has almost no grain in it. Is it possible that it's ebony?
If it's a 2019, it's probably Pau Ferro with a wood dye to make it darker. If Epiphone had gone with ebony, you'd have heard all about it last year - just like we heard about it this year with the new 2020 lineup.

FWIW I have the same guitar but in koa instead of black. The fretboard isn't as dark as yours, but it has that same grainless texture. It's almost certainly pau ferro or something of that ilk, and I'm loving it. Yeah, it's not as "premium" as ebony, but the wood doesn't know it's cheap!

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If the board is died it certainly isn't coming off even after cleaning it. Either way I like how it feels and looks. I hope it stays this way.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I spoke to them and apparently Epiphone doesn't know what it's made of either. :facepalm:

Jam Handy

Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but if not wood, could be "richlite" composite... richlite is a compressed stack of thin sheets of (I think) paper that are glued together and compressed to look and feel like ebony. Thus, no wood grain...

Couple years ao Gibson was using richlite on their $4,000+ Les Paul Custom fretboards... weeeee

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
No sleep lost here. Just after having seen every kind of board I thought there was this one has me stumped.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
"Wood of the day." Market price.

That may not be all that inaccurate. The specs for my ES339 say they used Rosewood but if so it doesn't look it. On the other had it doesn't look like Pau Ferro either so maybe Indian Laurel which is a bit darker than Pau Ferro or the lumber market "Catch of the Day".

Everyone seems to have some kind of substitute for Indian Rosewood now. G&L uses Brazilian Cherry also called Jatoba and Caribbean Rosewood also known as Chechen. Pau Ferro and Indian Laurel seem to be two more popular substitutes so who the hell knows these days.

Latest posts