New Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' Lineup

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, did some separate introduction in that specific section yesterday.

I have serious GAS for the 50s Les Paul Goldtop. As you can see in the introduction, basically all the Epiphones that I own have a slim taper neck. But all the specs on the 50s Les Paul look so good, that I am considering buying one. The only thing that concerns me though is the neck profile. Therefore a couple of questions, bearing in mind that I would not like to go through the hassle of ordering one and sending it back in case it turns out to be a problem.

What are the experiences from others owning slim taper neck guitars with the 50s guitar? Is it a very big difference or is it quite doable?

Is it likely that the Inspired by Gibson line-up will stay for let’s say at least two years? Given its success, one would think so. As I have imposed quite some strict social distancing limitations to myself, I don’t want to go to a guitar store which has a few currently, even if it is only one hour away.

Another consideration that goes through my mind is that the QC might be less due to the lock-down in China, so it might be better to be patient and wait until things are getting better again from a COVID-19 perspective. On the other hand, a new guitar really helps killing time...

A Classic Honeyburst would also be an option, but I would likely change the pots, pickups and tuners (in my very personal view, a Les Paul should always have vintage Kluson tuners), so that would make the Classic much more expensive.

Happy to hear the thoughts!

If your in the states contact music zoo they will give you.10% off the tag

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I am not really a fan of coil splitting (by the way, would also change the knobs with the ones that are on the 50s) and I am not a big fan of the looks of zebra pickup on a Les Paul either, so it is also partly a matter ofcosmetics / personal taste :-)

CAUTION: Unsolicited advice ahead.
I'm also not a fan of coil splitting on the LPs, so I just leave the knobs in the down position. That will save you money. You might consider buying pickup covers. instead of replacing them entirely (or painting them black; can one do that?). I don't recall what's on the 50's LP, but if it has those ugly amber knobs, you're doing the right thing in getting rid of them :).

Last edited:

JY1978

Reaction score
CAUTION: Unsolicited advice ahead.
I'm also not a fan of coil splitting on the LPs, so I just leave the knobs in the down position. That will save you money. You might consider buying pickup covers. instead of replacing them entirely (or painting them black; can one do that?). I don't recall what's on the 50's LP, but if it has those ugly amber knobs, you're doing the right thing in getting rid of them :).

The 50s does not have ugly knobs, I was referring to the 60s, knobs are referred to as “Gold insert knobs with nickel plated dial pointers”.

Anyway, couldn’t resist so the 50s Goldtop is on it’s way :-)

JY1978

Reaction score
The 50s does not have ugly knobs, I was referring to the 60s, knobs are referred to as “Gold insert knobs with nickel plated dial pointers”.

Anyway, couldn’t resist so the 50s Goldtop is on it’s way :-)

It has arrived! Have not been able to test it yet, but it looks gorgeous!

As someone who is used to play the slim taper necks, the fat 50s neck is very doable.

Herewith already a picture...

779FC0C8-989B-4C9A-8782-A9B794676EEA.jpeg

BGood

Reaction score
I have just purchased these two, within a week of each other.
View attachment 11919
Nice set.
I bet the Gibson bridge pickup sounds way brighter than on the Epi. Look at the distance difference from the bridge. I never looked if that difference is standard for both companies. That could be why a lot of people find their Epi to be muddy.

JY1978

Reaction score
After a few weeks, herewith a short review of the Epiphone Les Paul 50s Goldtop.

First of all, as already mentioned in an earlier post, I was a bit hesitant to buy one, due to the 50s neck. Dus to COVID-19, I did not want to go to a store to try one. On the other hand, the lockdown really screamed for giving myself another guitar. I am used to playing mostly thin slim taper necks. I decided to give it a go and I was not disappointed.

There were some reviews online mentioning fret issues. However, I have not encountered this after set-up. It only came with some high action out of the box.

The finish is beautiful. As mentioned in one particular review on youtube, a bit of filler can be seen along the binding where the space was probably a bit too large, but it doesn't bother at all (and most my Epi's seem to have some). I love the light wooden color at the side and the back of this guitar, it really adds a luxury element to it. The Indian Laurel fretboard has a bit of a greywash colour (don't know another way to describe it), whereas my other Epi's have a more brownish fretboard. I actually like the Indian Laurel much better for the looks.

After set-up and changing the strings to .09, it plays very well. I really love the fat neck, and if I afterwards pick up one of my Korean Epi's with the slim taper neck, it then becomes clear how thin that neck actually is. So I have become very used to it already and I don't regret it.

The pickups sound great. Not as great though as the SD Slash pickups that I put on another Epi that is from Korea (year 2000), since these have more definition, but definitely good enough to take it to a gig.

The guitar is quite heavy, heavier than my other Epiphone Les Pauls. It does however not bother me at all. The guitar really gives an overall luxury feel when I play it.

Oh, and of course, I like the headstock.

Maybe one thing that I like less is the fact that the Kluson style tuners (that I really love) are a bit to white instead some more touch of green. I might swap them later on. The other nitty-gritty thing is the font on the trussrod cover, I like the font of the Epiphone Classic LP better...

All in all, I don't regret buying the guitar. it is an excellent instrument with a lot of class put in it by Epiphone.

I now somehow regret having bought an Ebony Epiphone G400 Pro two years ago (although in itself it is not too bad), had I known that the Epiphone SG Standard in ebony would have been released two years later, I would not have done that (amongst others, I like full SG batwing pickguards).

Finally, having now many great guitars, I am considering to sell my 96 Korean LP DC in TV Yellow. I am probably not going to swap the pickups and electronics and it just does not do it enough for me compared to my LP's, SG's, Flying V, Explorer, Strats and Teles, but I will post that here once I have finally decided that.

78A6C26F-D75F-419B-8457-9EC896C05226.jpeg C829D06A-49D4-4D70-A55C-7D3987CCBC0E.jpeg CF877DDD-3E1B-4B9B-AA07-F5A3B33D453F.jpeg F942A3CD-95FF-4C3B-A800-ABAF029A1E5E.jpeg 11CD9E4C-AF76-46A8-882A-7AF109FAC7DE.jpeg D25A1ECD-7EDF-4B69-BC7B-FEE342EF3946.jpeg A2FF6DF2-795A-4B0E-B037-EEDBDF357D88.jpeg 1042E7A9-DAFF-4C9E-B2AE-39B7399186BD.jpeg 8FF4ED77-ABE6-4FE2-B391-2ACB77BC3BAF.jpeg 6AA495F8-0358-4A2D-9131-40CE9C40F3E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Congrats on that beauty. I have a GT that inspires me to play it just by the looks.
the Kluson style tuners (that I really love) are a bit to white instead some more touch of green. I might swap them later on.
Just eat avocados and don't wash your hands before tuning and in a few days, voila! :naughty: (I actually like the pearly white buttons btw)

ucsteve

Reaction score
After a few weeks, herewith a short review of the Epiphone Les Paul 50s Goldtop.

just got mine finally last week. I brought it to my buddys shop for him to make some adjustments. I also am not a fan of the Klussen style, so i got some Grover locking chrome stuff. Got some Seth Lovers Ive wanted to try and swapped out the pickups to throw the new probuckers in my 2002 LP MIK, grovers all around now. Im in the process of learning how to switch everything and rewire it all and stuff. But it was gettin late and JJ finished the Goldtop so i took that and ran. Finish the "bloodburst" next week sometime MJ 2.jpg BB 1.jpg

ucsteve

Reaction score
okey 2 out of 3 done. new SD Seth Lovers in the goldtop, and the new probuckers in the 2003 along with new pots, caps, wiring, etc. Grovers up top too. Tomorrow they get their test rides at the studio, see how it all shakes out
next up...THE Del Monte...
gonna fish around for some decent p/u's to throw in her, i have another set of pots and caps waitingbloodburst-goldtop post mods.jpg MIJ Del Monte LP 2.jpg

Latest posts