New Epiphone models with Gibson shaped head stock.

• Thread starter Mike Hickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
They still haven't announced all the models yet but, Epiphone is gonna have a non signature model with a Gibson shaped head stock. It's sounds like one of em is a 59 sunburst with custom shop pickups. Probably gonna cost as much as a signature model but at least it's just a guitar if it's own. Can't get into the signature model thing. I never understood it, maybe there's more people out there that feek the same way.

Big tuna

Reaction score
Just saw pic's of it looks great and thick rounder neck profile a big plus. My opinion of Epiphone has changed alot this past couple years hope it keeps getting better.

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
Just saw pic's of it looks great and thick rounder neck profile a big plus. My opinion of Epiphone has changed alot this past couple years hope it keeps getting better.
Same here. I bought the Les Paul modern last year and I still can't believe what you get for the price. Tone wise I can't find anything I don't like.

syco

Reaction score
They still haven't announced all the models yet but, Epiphone is gonna have a non signature model with a Gibson shaped head stock. It's sounds like one of em is a 59 sunburst with custom shop pickups. Probably gonna cost as much as a signature model but at least it's just a guitar if it's own. Can't get into the signature model thing. I never understood it, maybe there's more people out there that feek the same way.
In the "grand scheme " all guitars are "signature " . Most people associate "Signature " as being an " Artist's" guitar . Taking Epiphone Non Artist current models into consideration ...... Modern , Muse , Classic , Classic Worn , '50's Standard , 60's Standard , '59 Standard , Custom , Traditional Pro series ....... Essentially a "Signature Guitar " is one that deviates from the "normal " production models ( 2 plain & simple humbuckers , 2V / 2T , No special wiring or components , no special finishes ..... etc etc .

But '59 Standard with Gloss Finish , Custom Buckers and Gibson Headstock are apparently popping up overseas as well as a Custom with 490 /498 Humbuckers and Gibson Headstock ....... according to 3 (last time I checked ) threads on MLP Forum .

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
with custom shop pickups

when did the 490R/498T Gibson Pickups go Custom-shop ?

€1400 for a €750 MiC guitar with €200 Gibson pickups is insane
in other words the correct headstock-shape with the 3 screw TRC is €450

though we've seen the even more expensive €piphones were sold out (over here) within a few days, so they are doing it right.

Last edited:

LesB3

Reaction score

though we've seen the even more expensive €piphones were sold out (over here) within a few days, so they are doing it right.
Well, I guess Gibson needs to find SOME way to get rid of all of those 490/498 pickups! (I was never a fan).

And I still don't understand the whole "Gibson" TRC and headstock shape thing. If you want a Gibson, get a Gibson. If you choose the Epi, be happy with it. Besides, anyone that CARES whether you play a Gibson vs. an Epi, still KNOWS whether you're playing a Gibson or not anyway.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Well, I guess Gibson needs to find SOME way to get rid of all of those 490/498 pickups! (I was never a fan).

And I still don't understand the whole "Gibson" TRC and headstock shape thing. If you want a Gibson, get a Gibson. If you choose the Epi, be happy with it. Besides, anyone that CARES whether you play a Gibson vs. an Epi, still KNOWS whether you're playing a Gibson or not anyway.
I’ll second that comment about the 490/498 pu’s.
When I bought my Epi LP Custom Prophecy Plus GX those pu’s were stock.

I was shocked at how bad they sounded! I’m glad I have the guitar and for the day those pu’s were removed. That’s when that guitar showed me what it could really do.

I really love what Gibson has done for the Epiphone brand. They have taken Epiphone to the next level.

But I don’t really see the appeal to having a Gibson headstock or pu’s. If anything it detracts from the value of the Epiphone.

As far as pricing, one thing Epiphone has is a huge used market and still maintains an affordable line of new guitars.

Gibson has just inserted another price bracket for Epiphone for those who can’t afford a Gibson with the bells and whistles but can afford a guitar under $2000 IMO.

Pat

Last edited:

Jon Kerr

Reaction score
I’m waiting for the 355. Literally my dream guitar is a cherry red 355. Preferably mono without the varitone. An Epi is probably the closest I’ll ever get to owning one. I got to play a black Murphy Lab at Norms last year when I took a drive up there. It was better than I could have imagined. View recent photos.jpeg

Epison

Reaction score
when did the 490R/498T Gibson Pickups go Custom-shop ?

This is the second ad for these new ones i have seen and the first had a incorrect spec. Now i am wondering is this one does too because it says maple top which is not generally a LPC feature. It would be a turn off for me because the al mahogany body and ebony board is the LPC sound and this would make it sound closer to a standard, and thats not what i would be after if i am looking for the LPC sound. I mention it because i have been considering one of these when they are fully out on the shelves everywhere. I wouldn't consider the 59 even if it didn't have that huge neck im trying to get away from, because i CAN get a standard gibson trad or classic used for not much more. Customs however are impossible to find anywhere near as cheap as $1200.

Daz84

Reaction score
Looking forward to the new Epiphone IBG custom shop releases, some cool guitars coming out. A bit pricey so hopefully the specs can back it up. Only seen a few pictures of the ES-355 so far, not too much info on it yet but this is the one that I’ll be checking out, would have probably preferred this with a Bigsby tho. Hopefully the neck on the LP custom is a bit thicker as was never a huge fan of the slim taper. Still surprised they are doing the LP custom and ‘59 before a ‘54 or ‘56 gold top.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
there might be another new Budged-Line of guitars below the €piphone-range, just to fill up the empty space

Gibson 2000-20000
€piphone 500-2000
??? 200-500

we can guess the 'authentic' name

Baldwin ?
Kalamazzoo ?
....?

Latest posts