New Epiphone models with Gibson shaped head stock.

• Thread starter Mike Hickey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JY1978

Reaction score
I’m waiting for the 355. Literally my dream guitar is a cherry red 355. Preferably mono without the varitone. An Epi is probably the closest I’ll ever get to owning one. I got to play a black Murphy Lab at Norms last year when I took a drive up there. It was better than I could have imagined. View attachment 25121
Released today in cherry red and classic white, going to pick up a cherry red in my local store, but here is a link from Thomann:

https://www.thomann.de/nl/epiphone_1959_es_355_cherry_red_vos.htm

https://www.thomann.de/nl/epiphone_1959_es_355_classic_white_vos.htm

Specs:

Hollow Body Electric Guitar​

• Inspired by Gibson Custom Shop / Modern Collection
  • Body: Maple
  • Top: Maple
  • Set-in neck: Mahogany
  • Fingerboard: Ebony
  • Perloid Block fingerboard inlays
  • Scale: 629 mm (24.75")
  • Nut width: 43 mm (1.69")
  • Graph Tech nut
  • Neck Profile: Rounded "C"
  • 22 Vintage frets
  • Pickups: Gibson USA Custombucker Humbucker Set
  • 2 Volume and 2 tone control
  • 3-Ply black pickguard
  • 3-Way toggle switch
  • Tune-O-Matic bridge
  • Gold hardware
  • Grover Rotomatics machine heads
  • Colour: Cherry Red VOS
  • Includes case

Last edited:

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
They seem really nice, but for that price, I'd be tempted to get an actual second-hand Gibson Tribute or Studio.

Last edited:

LesB3

Reaction score
You know... I have been resisting buying a new Epiphone, figuring that I could save another grand and "just get the Gibson." But man, they all look great, its almost too hard to pick just one. I fear that if I walked into a store and all of them were hanging on the wall, I might just come home with a pair of white princesses...

Too bad he didn't play any of them clean. I'd be interested to hear what they really sound like. Also, too bad the Custom comes with the 490/498's. If it came with the custom buckers that would have sealed it for me.

Last edited:

spupilup

Reaction score
Looking forward to the new Epiphone IBG custom shop releases, some cool guitars coming out. A bit pricey so hopefully the specs can back it up. Only seen a few pictures of the ES-355 so far, not too much info on it yet but this is the one that I’ll be checking out, would have probably preferred this with a Bigsby tho. Hopefully the neck on the LP custom is a bit thicker as was never a huge fan of the slim taper. Still surprised they are doing the LP custom and ‘59 before a ‘54 or ‘56 gold top.
This IBG ES-355 has a Bigsby and is available in red and green.

Old Woody

Reaction score
They still haven't announced all the models yet but, Epiphone is gonna have a non signature model with a Gibson shaped head stock. It's sounds like one of em is a 59 sunburst with custom shop pickups. Probably gonna cost as much as a signature model but at least it's just a guitar if it's own. Can't get into the signature model thing. I never understood it, maybe there's more people out there that feek the same way.
Here's what they have atm https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Collection/inspired-by-gibson-custom-shop-collection All I can say is I think Gibson is trying to kill Epiphone the prices are ridiculus they raised the price of the Les Paul 1959 by $300.00 Oh well if you got one for $799 you must be smiling about now. :)

syco

Reaction score
Explore the Collection
1959 Les Paul Standard
1963 Les Paul SG Custom
1959 ES-355
Les Paul Custom
1942 Banner J-45
1957 SJ-200

LesB3

Reaction score
Here's what they have atm https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Collection/inspired-by-gibson-custom-shop-collection All I can say is I think Gibson is trying to kill Epiphone the prices are ridiculus they raised the price of the Les Paul 1959 by $300.00 Oh well if you got one for $799 you must be smiling about now. :)
I am happy that I didn't hesitate. Indeed.

You still can... MF is blowing them out at $749:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...mited-edition-electric-guitar/l85829000001000

...but yeah, looks to be the same thing but with custombuckers instead of burstbuckers, the gibby headstock, and maybe a better case?

imnotcreative

Reaction score
For us Europeans prices nearly doubled.. I paid €795 back in 2020 (could be 2021) and thr new ones are €1369 on the Thomann website. Around €1400 at some other shops

Daz84

Reaction score
This IBG ES-355 has a Bigsby and is available in red and green.

Thanks for the heads up on the Shinichi-ubukata ES-355 but the new IBG custom shop Cherry red ES-355 is looking pretty sweet. Expensive?… no doubt, but with custom buckers all the great specs and a case it could be a lot worse.

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
Here's what they have atm https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Collection/inspired-by-gibson-custom-shop-collection All I can say is I think Gibson is trying to kill Epiphone the prices are ridiculus they raised the price of the Les Paul 1959 by $300.00 Oh well if I you got one for $799 you must be smiling about now. :)
It looks like they're trying to have the equivalent to the fender Vintera line. I'm a fender guy for 40 years and for me the Vintera line is killing their American stuff, the quality is so good and way more affordable than the American vintage stuff. Anyway, I hope the new line is as good as Vintera. I just checked the specs on the 59 lp and it checks all the boxes for me except the pickups. I have pro bucker 2 and 3 on my modern and I really like em. Don't anything about the Custom buckers. I will say when I bought my epi Les Paul, I tried the Gibson standard lp and I found the pickups a little bright compared to the pro buckers.

imnotcreative

Reaction score
It looks like they're trying to have the equivalent to the fender Vintera line. I'm a fender guy for 40 years and for me the Vintera line is killing their American stuff, the quality is so good and way more affordable than the American vintage stuff. Anyway, I hope the new line is as good as Vintera. I just checked the specs on the 59 lp and it checks all the boxes for me except the pickups. I have pro bucker 2 and 3 on my modern and I really like em. Don't anything about the Custom buckers. I will say when I bought my epi Les Paul, I tried the Gibson standard lp and I found the pickups a little bright compared to the pro buckers.

I have a set of custombuckers, they are brighter and more articulate than standard burstbuckers and have a bit more ''airy/woody'' tone in the mids with a warmer sounding bass.
Good for classic blues/rock but not as punchy as regular burstbuckers, can't really recommend them for harder styles of music, regular burstbucker2/3 are better for those types of music.

One thing that did throw me off a bit at first setting up the custombuckers was lowering the neck pickup didn't brighten up the bass, which was a bit overwhelming (especially the low e string), like it does on all my other pickups.
It made them sound a lot darker/muddy. Raising them in fact tightened them up again.

I think that might have been due to the weak AlNiCo 3 magnets used. The bass notes stayed about the same volume but got very muddy when i lowered the pickup. Probably not enough pull on the lighter strings compared to the thicker ones. Setting the neck pickup closer to the strings tightened them up without getting much louder. If i set the neck pickup lower than 4/64th high e and 5/64th it is an absolute mudfest. I can't really go any higher on the neck pickup because then it doesn't match output with the bridge very well which is at 3/64th on both high and low e. Any higher on the bridge pickup and i get some strange noises, probably because the pickup is too close to the strings at that point

Latest posts