New guitar day

• Thread starter Rest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rest

Reaction score
Hey!

Stumbled across this piece down in the local music shop. A HPD Esquire.. Couldn't resist.
So, it's a neck from a "BaCH" Tele, plays pretty good, some sharp fret ends,
no buzz. No-name solid alder body. Wilkinson bridge. CTS potentiometers with a CRL switch(Esquire wiring) and a
Don Mare Supersport pickup, which might just be the BEST Tele pickup I've ever heard.

Picked it up for less than $230, so happy with it!

6ML0yuI.png

Last edited:

Dudemeister

Reaction score
Very nice guitar, love the trans finish, but...

I have to ask, since I'm not familiar with Tele wiring, if you only have one pickup, what's the point of the switch? Does it have some active electronics to alter the sound?

John

Reaction score
Nice, congrats..

I have to ask, since I'm not familiar with Tele wiring, if you only have one pickup, what's the point of the switch? Does it have some active electronics to alter the sound?
Was gonna ask that myself.

Rest

Reaction score

Nice, congrats..

Good question!
I currently have it wired like this:
Esquire3-WayEldred2.jpg

Happy NGD!! Great looking guitar, I need to get myself a Tele!
Thanks man, loving it right now..
Yeah you should, they're great guitars!

Raiyn

Reaction score

le copypasta
Position #1. This corresponds to the solo bridge-pickup position on a Tele. On the Esquire, however, the pickup is routed through the volume control only, with the tone control bypassed for a hotter and louder lead sound with even more high-end.
• Position #2. In this middle setting, the Esquire’s pickup is routed through the volume and tone control—identical to position #1 on a standard Telecaster. It sounds a bit warmer compared to the Esquire’s #1 position.
• Position #3. Here, the tone control is again bypassed and the Esquire’s pickup is routed through the volume control and a fixed “treble roll-off ” capacitor/resistor network for a very dark tone that also has a slightly decreased output. Leo intended this as a “bass preset” that would allow the ’50s guitar player to enter bass territory by simply flipping the 3-way switch.
Until the production of the Esquire was halted by CBS in late 1969, switching positions #1 and #2 stayed the same, but the value of the pots were changed several times. Switching position #3 was modified several times with different values for the caps and resistors, and the Esquire even had a “capacitor only” version for some time. This clearly indicates that #3 was not very popular among Esquire players, which is still the case today.​
f2636f4e-4bf8-40b3-af81-212c79f206b3.JPG

The schematic for the original 1950 Fender Esquire. Wiring diagram courtesy of Seymour Duncan.

Rest

Reaction score
le copypasta
Position #1. This corresponds to the solo bridge-pickup position on a Tele. On the Esquire, however, the pickup is routed through the volume control only, with the tone control bypassed for a hotter and louder lead sound with even more high-end.
• Position #2. In this middle setting, the Esquire’s pickup is routed through the volume and tone control—identical to position #1 on a standard Telecaster. It sounds a bit warmer compared to the Esquire’s #1 position.
• Position #3. Here, the tone control is again bypassed and the Esquire’s pickup is routed through the volume control and a fixed “treble roll-off ” capacitor/resistor network for a very dark tone that also has a slightly decreased output. Leo intended this as a “bass preset” that would allow the ’50s guitar player to enter bass territory by simply flipping the 3-way switch.
Until the production of the Esquire was halted by CBS in late 1969, switching positions #1 and #2 stayed the same, but the value of the pots were changed several times. Switching position #3 was modified several times with different values for the caps and resistors, and the Esquire even had a “capacitor only” version for some time. This clearly indicates that #3 was not very popular among Esquire players, which is still the case today.​

Pretty much spot on, 0047 cap at the #3 position(which I freaking love btw). Pretty versatile wiring for a guitar with only 1 pickup.

Dudemeister

Reaction score
le copypasta

The schematic for the original 1950 Fender Esquire. Wiring diagram courtesy of Seymour Duncan.
Very cool concept. Thank you.

John

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the explanation...

John

Reaction score
I have one Tele if you call it that. I don't care for it much at all so I am fixing it up for my grand daughter.

Latest posts