New member from Peru – Epiphone IBG Hummingbird

Kevan Tolley

Reaction score
I have the Chinese Model Hummingbird and have absolutely no complaints. My suggestion is to buy a guitar by the sound and not emotions or politics. I have had many Epis from Indonesia and they are mostly hit and miss. My current Epi is fault free with a sound to die for. I've been at this for over 50 years and know my guitars. Have a great time with your Epi.

Ian_J

Reaction score
Hello, everybody!

I recently acquired a sweet Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" Hummingbird, and I thought it'd be a good idea to join this forum! Here's a pic of my new guitar:

View attachment 25145

It's one of the "Made in Indonesia" ones. Sadly, the newest ones are being made in China now.

I plan to make a few mods to the guitar:

* Replace nut and saddle with new unbleached bone ones. I believe they're already bone from the factory, but they're a really white, which doesn't look the part with the cream/ivory binding.
* Replace the stock plastic bridge pins with new unbleached bone ones.
* Remove the entirety of the Fishman Sonitone amplification system. It sounds terrible! Also, removing the under-saddle pickup might improve sound.
* Install a new L.R. Baggs HiFi amplification system, which uses bridge plate transducers.
* Replace the outrageously thick pickguard with a new thin one (0.025-inch thick). BTW, has anyone measured the thickness of the stock pickguard?
* Replace the stock strings which sound dead. Any recommendations of good strings to try?

That should be all. My hope's the mods will make the guitar sound even better. 😄 Overall, I'm really excited with my purchase, and I'm looking forward to participating actively in the forum.

Take care, everyone!
I’m new to this forum too, I also have a Hummingbird from E’s Indonesian factory. No mods made, strung with Martic Authentic Accoustic 2; I really like the sound, it plays nicely with a Fender Campion 20 practice amp. Looking forward to your thoughts after your mods are done

Latest posts