New Nut: How Much Tone Improvement?

• Thread starter DarthCroz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCroz

Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback from those with far more experience than I have. I've been wanting to do some upgrades to my Plus Top Pro, but since I've not done a lot of these things before, I'm using my Special II as a test run.

So yesterday, I replaced the stock, plastic nut with a TUSQ XL graphite nut. (The XL is the one that's supposed to be permanently lubed with PTFE)

And honestly, I'm a little blown away by the change in sound. Even messing around with it not plugged in, the tone seems brighter, and more defined. And the sustain seems better. The entire guitar seems to resonate better. It seems more "lively."

Sorry, I don't have the right words. Just going with what I feel.

I'm seriously suspicious of a placebo effect. I'm having a very hard time accepting that $11, and 30 minutes of time can have that kind of effect on the tone.

So, for those who have replaced a nut with something of a much higher quality, how much improvement in the tone did you experience?

Because if this is really what happens, I won't own a guitar where I don't replace the nut with a TUSQ XL.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
You're not wrong, the difference between stock plastic and TUSQ is night and day. On a price/performance comparison this is the best upgrade you can make in my opinion.

DarthCroz

Reaction score
I'm floored. And very happy to hear that others can confirm the improvements. I can say that the black Epiphone version fit almost perfectly with little modification. It was a tiny bit too thick from back edge to front edge to fit the slot. But rubbing the front edge a few times on 220 grit sandpaper took care of that.

For anyone interested, this is the exact one I purchased. http://a.co/8DC7XLR

I know a lot of people don't recommend modding Special IIs because of the ROI, but you can't go wrong on this $11 modification. It's like a different guitar.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
I know a lot of people don't recommend modding Special IIs because of the ROI, but you can't go wrong on this $11 modification. It's like a different guitar.

Nobody buys a Special II as an investment. If you bought it to play it, wail on, and any mods are your business.

Supersonic

Reaction score
I put a TUSQ XL on one of my Epis and it's definitely an improvement as far as tuning stability goes. The only time I notice a big improvement in sound is when open strings are played, but it is there. I agree that it's a no brainer upgrade for the price.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I put a TUSQ XL on my G400 and after a bit of filing to get the first fret action correct, I was blown away as well.

Dropping the two on a hard surface, the plastic had that dull clunk while the TUSQ had a ringing quality.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
746904f7980c366b5429131bea7a967a--emoji-emoticons-symbols-emoticons.jpg

Bonzo21

Reaction score
Because if this is really what happens, I won't own a guitar where I don't replace the nut with a TUSQ XL.

In my experience it does make a difference. I put tusq (or bone, or corian) on all my guitars when I get around to it. It might be placebo because scientifically i understand that ot shouldn't have an effect other than on open notes. But I've installed two brass nuts before and one brought a guitar to life (tele) and the other made it unbearably bright (dot). It was not placebo and it wasn't only on open notes. I dont usually go againts science, but I've had a few beer hahah. I think different nut materials change the attack and clarity...I've had great luck with tusq, nubone, actual bone, and corian.. 50/50 on brass. Anything but stock plastic IMO. Other nuts don't add so much as soft plastic robs something...

Caddy

Reaction score
Can see no way it could have any effect on fretted notes, but well worth doing for tuning issues for sure.

John

Reaction score
Nobody buys a Special II as an investment. If you bought it to play it, wail on, and any mods are your business.
That's for sure. Buying a $99 special and use it as a investment is a lousy investment. However I don't mind putting in a few bucks in a Special just for my own pleasure. I am actually in the process of modding my LP Special ll as we speak. It is for me and will never end up on the auction block. I do it for fun.

Blastronaut

Reaction score
Well this is reassuring! I've been impatiently awaiting the Tusq XL I ordered for my G400 dropping through the door. Last owner mauled the plastic nut somewhat. I'm not really sure what he did, but the low E slot is DEEP and cuts in at an angle towards the A. The open A buzzes something terrible unless I press down gently behind the nut and the G just won't intonate properly. I'm really hoping the new nut does the trick but wasn't holding my breath.

Fingers crossed!

John

Reaction score
Thank you much Frog. Addicting hobby regardless isn't it?

BGood

Reaction score
I'm with Caddy on this. Great for tuning improvement, but apart from open strings, it physically can't do anything to your tone. Some will say the string resonates behind your fretting finger. Not sure it's something worth putting in the equation.

Placebowise ... 100% tone improvement !

John

Reaction score
I agree with Caddy and BG on this one as well.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
I'm with Caddy on this. Great for tuning improvement, but apart from open strings, it physically can't do anything to your tone. Some will say the string resonates behind your fretting finger. Not sure it's something worth putting in the equation.

Placebowise ... 100% tone improvement !

It's the ethereal resonance between the the Tusq and the tonewoods that creates the ...Ow!...Ow!

Latest posts