NGD. 1959 Les Paul Standard

• Thread starter spupilup
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spupilup

Reaction score
If you 've been reading my other thread about a recently purchased Special in TV Yellow they you probably already saw a picture of this new guitar. After the tremendously positive experience picking up a "blemished" Les Paul Special for $359 from an online dealer, when I saw they had a "blemished" 1959 Les Paul Standard that with all my discounts coming to just $745, I figured I had to buy it. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite as nice as the Special but it sounded great so I figured I'd put some time in to see if I couldn't make this guitar work for me.

To me, when I see a "blemished" model for sale I think it's usually a customer return and I count on having to do a little work to make the guitar play the way I want it. The Special took very little work at all and spoiled me. The first think I noticed when I opened the box for the 1959 was that it had been resealed more than once or twice. Uh oh, I thought, this doesn't bode well. The next thing I noticed was that the fretboard looked like dried out and colorless. That's what I have linseed oil for and a few well rubbed in dabs of it gave new life to the fretboard. I also notice a small imperfection in the paint about an inch below the lower volume control. It certainly wasn't offensive but it looked like there was a small bubble under the top coat of poly. Had the guitar cost me $999 I probably would have either sent it back or asked for a discount, most likely the later. As a "blemished" model, I just shrugged it off. Then I noticed that the guitar was made in late 2021 so it had plenty of time to travel all around the world including trips to purchasers who later returned the guitar for whatever reason.

The frequent flyer miles this guitar had obviously accumulated led to another cluster of issues with the neck. First, due to the different climates this guitar had experienced over the last couple of years, there was some fret sprout. I whipped out my file and got down to business but not before attacking another even more serious issue. Along with sprout, more than eight frets were unevenly installed on the neck. Plus, there was so much junk on the frets they made the guitar look like it actually was from 1959.

For the last 90 minutes or so I have been tapping into place, errant frets that have reacted, as is to be expected, by wild swings in temperature and humidity. The same goes for the fret sprout but one nice thing was that as I was pounding (:)) the frets back into the neck, they didn't seem to cause any additional sprout. Nevertheless, it was a big job tapping all the frets back in place so there was no rocking of my fret tool. I had five or six frets that needed help to be introduced to my file now all it good. Finally, a good cleaning with some Nomad fret polisher and the neck was better than new. BTW, the Nomad stuff isn't bad and they even throw 3 fretboard guards in the box for $20. It was the only purchase I had to make to sort the neck out because I must have thrown out the last of my Gorgamyte away when I was cleaning my 594 SE. My final touch is a light dusting of graphite at the nut.

I put a new set of Elixir Nano Web 46-10's on the guitar and it's like an old dog straight from the pound, so excited to have been rescued, all it wants to do is make me happy, and I'm happy, very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0201 2.jpeg
    IMG_0201 2.jpeg
    749.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0198.jpeg
    IMG_0198.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 51

3bolt79

Reaction score
Nice. I bought my wife an SG muse that was a minor blemished. When I got it there was no blemish.

When I took off the truss rod cover, the nut fell out. I reinstalled it and bam! Instant perfect guitar. Save a hundred bucks.

HNGD!

RadioFM74

Reaction score
These 59s are great and my experience is that whenever I had to work a little on a guitar to make it be the best guitar it could, then I bonded with it more and appreciated its qualities more. Play her happily! And: this one has got an especially nice tiger top!

aarono2690

Reaction score
I may have misread the thread, but Guitar Center has these for $600 right now and includes a case. I bought one a couple weeks ago. You have to go in store and a lot of stores already took down the signage, but the sale is supposed to go until 11/1. I showed them the following image on my phone and they gave me the price. The deal was in store only BC326341-2BD1-4933-A029-D6112394A39A.jpeg

spupilup

Reaction score
That‘s an amazing price. They must be blowing out the last of their inventory. I saw that Zzounds has listed the cherry sunburst ‘59 as NLA. I wonder if Epiphone is finally making this “limited edition” a real “limited edition.” They’ve been selling them since 2019.

Darkness

Reaction score
That‘s an amazing price. They must be blowing out the last of their inventory. I saw that Zzounds has listed the cherry sunburst ‘59 as NLA. I wonder if Epiphone is finally making this “limited edition” a real “limited edition.” They’ve been selling them since 2019.
The Southern Fade is no longer available either. If anybody is on the fence now is the time.

spupilup

Reaction score
I called Guitar Center’s 800# and the sale was confirmed. I called AMS and sent them the photo of the sale tag, the GC sale # and confirmation from GC that I could have a guitar shipped to a store near me if I place an order tomorrow.

I provided AMS with all the info right down to the name of the person at GC who confirmed the sale and offered to help me with an order tomorrow! Ball’s in their court now. If they don’t make this deal worthwhile I’ll send the guitar back. I’ll keep everyone abreast of what they offer.

syco

Reaction score
The Southern Fade is no longer available either. If anybody is on the fence now is the time.
Southern Fade will be available in December ...... Dec 4th AMS , Dec. 12th ZZ Sound .... may have those backwards .... best verify .

Epison

Reaction score
What is the difference btween the 59 and a regular 50s besides the finish?

BGood

Reaction score
The '59, better electronics, pickups and a long neck tenon, pointers, hard shell case. The 50's gloss finish and somewhat bigger neck. Color choices.

syco

Reaction score
Nifty Medallion that covers switch ,Pickups , Switch & jack , color availability and case . Both have same size neck , cts pots , mallory caps , pointers , long neck tenon .

Epison

Reaction score
Nifty Medallion that covers switch ,Pickups , Switch & jack , color availability and case . Both have same size neck , cts pots , mallory caps , pointers , long neck tenon .
Yeah, i was gonna say after seeing the post above yours that both have the long tenon. None of the rest interests me aside from better pups, but i just bought the sweetwater lemonburst exclusive a week or 2 ago. I already have had the TV yellow special for 3.5 years now and it became my #1 and completely changed the way i think about fat necks and my lifetime fascination with strats and teles. Sheer perfection for me at least which led me to this recent purchase of the standard. Might not take over the #1 slot for the special but man is it ever sweet. Gibson can keep their hyper expensive models !

Darkness

Reaction score
What exactly is a long neck tenon anyway?
Nobody has any clue, but we heard of it, and we all want it!

giphy.webp

Kidding, the stub on the neck that inserts into the guitar body is just longer so it makes a more solid contact with the body.

WoundUp

Reaction score
Spoiled is ordering 5 guitars from a mfg and having exactly none of them need anything to play immaculately right out of the box. I'm 5 for 5 because unlike most mfgs, theyve hired their own luthiers to set up each DLX Plus guitar before they're shipped. Technically, I'm actually 7 for 7 because the 2 that I returned were also set up perfectly.

That's spoiled. That's why I own 5 of this company's guitars. They're all superb guitars that play incredibly well. 3 LP-style, 1 T-style, and 1, 355-style guitar. The 2 I returned were another LP-style and a 335 Dot-style guitar. Both had cracks in the necks. One was below the headstock and the other was at the neck-to-body joint.

EpicJim

Reaction score
I may have misread the thread, but Guitar Center has these for $600 right now and includes a case. I bought one a couple weeks ago. You have to go in store and a lot of stores already took down the signage, but the sale is supposed to go until 11/1. I showed them the following image on my phone and they gave me the price. The deal was in store only View attachment 23122

Today I returned my shiny Epi 60s LP Std and got myself one of these from the GC.

The one I returned was $650+tax = $709.47 and instead I got this for $653.80...

Of course the one I returned didn't have the hard case and now I have a 59 with hard case and I really noticed the tone difference on these pickups.
More mellow on the cleans and more rounder(?) on the crunchy tones...
But I have only one negative issue which I'll post on its own thread... Regarding High E string...
I am sure it'll be easy to fix...
Other than that it is all good! Especially the price! I guess GC trying to unload their inventory...

aarono2690

Reaction score
Glad the picture will help you guys secure some deals!

Like I said, I bought this a couple weeks ago due to GAS and a deal is a deal. I debated if I wanted to keep it due to the weight and THICK neck (it makes my Yamaha Pacifica feel like a feather), but I'm thinking for the price I got the guitar/case it'd be stupid to return it at this point. I'm better off keeping it for a while to see if it grows on me and if not I can probably sell it for close to what I paid.

Latest posts