NGD 339 P90

• Thread starter CheshireFrog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
With the holiday weekend coming up I wasn't sure how long this would take to get here but the UPS man rang my bell just before noon today.

I have a 339 Pro, so I'm familiar with this guitar, if not this model, and it's a good thing I am because this guitar was almost unrecognizable. For starters it was as filthy as a stray dog eating a diaper. If you've ever had to clean the fuzzy grease out of a range hood, that's about the consistency of the dust that formed a uniform coating over the entire instrument. The bridge and stop bar had the kind of discoloration and oxidation that can only come from layers of sweat left unattended over time. The neck had no relief and the would have been better measured with a yardstick than micrometer. Finally, the intonation was set by someone more concerned with the patterns the saddles made than the actual sound.

Now for the good: All of this contributed to a great price, and all of this is easily fixable. Off come the strings, all of the hardware gets scrubbed, first with 00 steel wool, then 0000, then a green scrubber. Machine heads and saddles get oiled and it all gets set aside. Meanwhile the instrument gets cleaned and polished before the hardware is reinstalled. New strings, adjust the action, set the intonation and it's lie a new instrument. There was no actual damage under the dirt. The covers on the P90s have some light scratches, but new covers are cheap, and already on order.

It wasn't until after all this was completed that I tuned it and played it. All my guitars are archtops, and it's important to me that it sound good unplugged. Granted i already knew what to expect, and this guitar didn't disappoint. Then I plugged it in. My Wildkat has P90s on it, but the difference between that guitar and this one is startling. I'm not sure what accounts for that, the Wildkat has dogears, the 339 has soapbars, the Wildkat has chrome covers, the 339 has plastic covers, the Wildkat has a chambered milled body, the 339 is a more conventional archtop. Probably a combination of all the above. Whatever, the differences between the two are more than enough to justify owning both. In the military we used to have a saying: you don't really know somebody until you go camping with them. In the same way, you can audition a guitar all you want in a shop, but until you get it home and play it through equipment that you know well you really don't know how it sounds. After running this instrument through some of my favorite presets I can tell you these P90s are SWEET!

Getting everything adjusted right will surely be a work in progress for the next couple of weeks, but I can already tell this is a keeper. It'll only get better from here.

339 P90.jpg

blackspider57

Reaction score
IMG_7511.JPG
With the holiday weekend coming up I wasn't sure how long this would take to get here but the UPS man rang my bell just before noon today.

I have a 339 Pro, so I'm familiar with this guitar, if not this model, and it's a good thing I am because this guitar was almost unrecognizable. For starters it was as filthy as a stray dog eating a diaper. If you've ever had to clean the fuzzy grease out of a range hood, that's about the consistency of the dust that formed a uniform coating over the entire instrument. The bridge and stop bar had the kind of discoloration and oxidation that can only come from layers of sweat left unattended over time. The neck had no relief and the would have been better measured with a yardstick than micrometer. Finally, the intonation was set by someone more concerned with the patterns the saddles made than the actual sound.

Now for the good: All of this contributed to a great price, and all of this is easily fixable. Off come the strings, all of the hardware gets scrubbed, first with 00 steel wool, then 0000, then a green scrubber. Machine heads and saddles get oiled and it all gets set aside. Meanwhile the instrument gets cleaned and polished before the hardware is reinstalled. New strings, adjust the action, set the intonation and it's lie a new instrument. There was no actual damage under the dirt. The covers on the P90s have some light scratches, but new covers are cheap, and already on order.

It wasn't until after all this was completed that I tuned it and played it. All my guitars are archtops, and it's important to me that it sound good unplugged. Granted i already knew what to expect, and this guitar didn't disappoint. Then I plugged it in. My Wildkat has P90s on it, but the difference between that guitar and this one is startling. I'm not sure what accounts for that, the Wildkat has dogears, the 339 has soapbars, the Wildkat has chrome covers, the 339 has plastic covers, the Wildkat has a chambered milled body, the 339 is a more conventional archtop. Probably a combination of all the above. Whatever, the differences between the two are more than enough to justify owning both. In the military we used to have a saying: you don't really know somebody until you go camping with them. In the same way, you can audition a guitar all you want in a shop, but until you get it home and play it through equipment that you know well you really don't know how it sounds. After running this instrument through some of my favorite presets I can tell you these P90s are SWEET!

Getting everything adjusted right will surely be a work in progress for the next couple of weeks, but I can already tell this is a keeper. It'll only get better from here.

View attachment 5488
It's a beauty!
Where did you get it from in such road worn condition?
It cleaned up very nice!
Where are you getting the new P90 covers from?
I have been "camping with mine" for two weeks now :)

Last edited:

Jeffytune

Reaction score
Nice combination.
Great color.
I wonder how it would sound plugged into my 1973 Fender twin........

Sorry, daydreaming.....

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
Nice combination.
Great color.
I wonder how it would sound plugged into my 1973 Fender twin........

Sorry, daydreaming.....

I'll PM you my address, you can ship your Twin to me and we'll find out!

John

Reaction score
I love a good story and happy ending to a dirty start. Congrats, she is a beauty........:)

BGood

Reaction score
Nice find ! Seem to have cleaned up good.
Aren't those Valvetronics sleepers or what. I have an old AD30VT and it's definitely a keeper for the cottage

blackspider57

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 10.24.42 PM.png You know, Guitar Center is supposed to clean, polish and restring all used guitars. I would ask for a credit/refund for this service they apparently did not do on your guitar. By the way, I would like to hear about your Wildkat, as that is next on my list of guitars I would like to own.

Last edited:

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
Aren't those Valvetronics sleepers or what. I have an old AD30VT and it's definitely a keeper for the cottage

Absolutely! My VT20 is what I use outside the loft, and it's got enough juice to take to a jam, as long as there are no drums involved. I love it.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
You know, Guitar Center is supposed to clean, polish and restring all used guitars. I would ask for a credit/refund for this service they apparently did not do on your guitar.

This isn't the first time I've seen a used guitar at GC hung on the wall in "as found" condition. Clean? Polish? Restring? Not this one. I wouldn't expect GC to invest the full time I spent on this so far, but I can imagine that local buyers would walk on by seeing the state of the instrument that I received. I should have take "before" pics, but c'est la vie.

By the way, I would like to hear about your Wildkat, as that is next on my list of guitars I would like to own.

The Wildkat is a completely different animal (pun intended). It looks like an archtop, but it's not, really. It has a milled, chambered body more closely related to an LP with a florentine style cap. As such, it doesn't really resonate like an archtop, and feels completely different acoustically. Mine is the studio model, with no psuedo-Bigsby on it. Out of the box it had a very dark tone, that never really cleaned up satisfactorily through EQ, and I ended up completely rewiring it, adding full size pots and a Switchcraft switch while I was at it. It has a much brighter tone now, and is one of my favorite players. I haven't tried the Bigsby equipped model, but reading comments from other owners it has problems staying in tune, and benefits greatly from a roller bridge. They regularly go on sale for around $300 new, and I think that's a real steal for what you get.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
View attachment 5490 You know, Guitar Center is supposed to clean, polish and restring all used guitars. I would ask for a credit/refund for this service they apparently did not do on your guitar. By the way, I would like to hear about your Wildkat, as that is next on my list of guitars I would like to own.

In Theory..........in the real world, nope.
I got mine from GC at the store, it took me a couple hours to clean, polish, set up and restring it.
Just like we know this model should have came with a case......it got lost somewhere along the way.

blackspider57

Reaction score
I mentioned that my used guitar did not have new strings,
and they credited me $19.99,
the price they charge to put on new strings :)

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
Three days in and I'm still in love with the exception of these "Epiphone Deluxe" machine heads. My 339 Pro came equipped with Grover 135 tuners, but now I wonder if that was an upgrade made by the previous owner. In any case, I ordered a set of 135's, they'll be here tomorrow.

Looking ahead, does anyone know a good way to age a Tusq nut? The binding on both these instruments is aged, and I'm thinking the contrast with the stark white of a Tusq nut will be jarring.

Latest posts