NGD 50th Anniversary "1962" Sorrento

• Thread starter Fullmoon 1971
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
Hi guys & girls,

So as you know last year I picked up one of the limited edition “1962” 50th anniversary Sheraton models and instantly fell in love, this got me gassing for more
clear.png
. On the monday the Pawnshop where I get most of my serious bargains sent me a picture of a “1962” 5th anni Sorrento that they wanted £275 for and though the picture wasn't brilliant it looked in great shape so I went and had a look at it – when I got there and they opened the case it was thick with dust but looked to be it perfect working order and so she was mine. She was setup by my tech yesterday. When I went to pick her up my tech was beside himself (he hates when I get killer deals) he switched off all the workroom lights and started to shine a torch slowly all over the guitar, there is not a single mark on her, no pick scratches no felt marks on the back or neck. He said it even had the original faded plastic covers on the pickups and that the nut was cut stupidly high. Neither of us could find a sign of her ever being played – She is spotless, I think the original owner must of just hung her on the wall.

The Royal Olive might not be for everyone, but I actually find it attractive. First impression was that this guitar is comfortable to play and had a good weight balance (it's a light instrument). The neck feels slightly thicker than the one on the “1962” Sheraton. I find I play completely different on it, I see that as a good thing, inviting to different playing styles. The Tuners hold the tunings really well – played this thing for three straight hours and only had to slightly tweak the tuning and thats with new strings. The Pickups are fantastic, they sound even better then the ones in the Sheraton – actually made me pull the Sherrys pickups just to check they were the correct ones. Everything is there for the asking from almost acoustic sounds through Teles, Strats and of course full blown humbuckers. I used to own a Loar 301T (basicaly the non cutaway version of this guitar) and thought that was an ideal allrounder this thing blows it away. The only downside are these =

It's advertised as a 1962 reissue however there are a few errors.
They stopped using the headstock plate in 61
Most Sorrento's had white pickguards in 62 – tortoise shell ones started in 63
62 Sorrento's had oval shaped MOP fretboard markers

Put these together and the reissue is closer to a 1961 than 62. It doesn't bother me although I may source a 3ply parchment guard and see how that looks.

GraphX12

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah! '61, '62 - makes no difference to me on a beaut (and a deal) like that! Congratulations.

BB11

Reaction score
Beautiful. I bought one in Sept of ‘18. Sticker was removed on back so I don’t where it was made, China or Indonesia I assume. Can any one tell me? Thanks

BB11

Reaction score
Just the serial number. It seems they may have all been made in Indonesia.

Latest posts