NGD: Another Bird

• Thread starter DigitalDreams
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalDreams

Reaction score
Been waiting on this thing since early April but it was definitely worth the wait. I was nervous looking at reviews of some of the 2020 Epiphones arriving with fret issues etc. but this one apart from needing a set up is top notch. These pickups are very very nice sounding, nothing like the muddy pickups that came in my Korean made firebird VII (that have since been upgraded).
20200609_202940.jpg
20200609_203001.jpg
20200609_201523.jpg

Raiyn

Reaction score
Been waiting on this thing since early April but it was definitely worth the wait. I was nervous looking at reviews of some of the 2020 Epiphones arriving with fret issues etc. but this one apart from needing a set up is top notch. These pickups are very very nice sounding, nothing like the muddy pickups that came in my Korean made firebird VII (that have since been upgraded).
View attachment 12277
View attachment 12278
View attachment 12279
I was blown away that they were doing a neck through 'bird. Just awesome.
Other than swapping in a PureTone jack (personal preference) there really isn't anything I'd mess with in the cavity. Was it always spec'd with Orange Drops? I was under the impression that they were running Mallory 150's across the board.

DigitalDreams

Reaction score
I was blown away that they were doing a neck through 'bird. Just awesome.
Other than swapping in a PureTone jack (personal preference) there really isn't anything I'd mess with in the cavity. Was it always spec'd with Orange Drops? I was under the impression that they were running Mallory 150's across the board.
Guess that's just how they come Raiyn. Nice to see Epi stepping up on the electrics and nut. Sounds damn good.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Guess that's just how they come Raiyn. Nice to see Epi stepping up on the electrics and nut. Sounds damn good.
They keep making 'em like this and I won't have anything to mod!
Literally, a jack and some tuners, both personal preference. That's really all I'm seeing on these '20 models out of the gate that I'd mess with. Even the cap tolerance is right where I like it based on what I saw in your cavity.

Me, seeing actual guitars with the advertised 2020 specs.
021.gif

Last edited:

DigitalDreams

Reaction score
They keep making 'em like this and I won't have anything to mod!
Literally, a jack and some tuners, both personal preference. That's really all I'm seeing on these '20 models out of the gate that I'd mess with. Even the cap tolerance is right where I like it based on what I saw in your cavity.

Me, seeing actual guitars with the advertised 2020 specs.
021.gif
:rofl:

Jam Handy

Reaction score
Nice to see as I have one of these 'birds on my want list... this just bumps it up a couple nothces higher on the list... great to see what the re-vamped Gibson management is doing with Epiphones...

DigitalDreams

Reaction score

Ignore the clickbait title card, he seems impressed enough. Not one of my normal channels, but occasionally he gets me in stuff like this.

Thanks for the link Raiyn. I used to watch Trogly but found him to be fairly critical of Epiphones in a turn up his nose kind of way while still giving Gibson a free pass on QC issues. He really emphasizes the made in china aspect too. Yeah Trog so is your laptop and recording equipment etc. He also knocks the Epi for having the flat face headstock VS the winged headstock but if you look up the new Gibson models many of those have the same flat face headstock as well.
front-banner-500_500.png

For those wondering this Epi is in fact a neck through build and not a set neck.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Raiyn. I used to watch Trogly but found him to be fairly critical of Epiphones in a turn up his nose kind of way while still giving Gibson a free pass on QC issues.
That's part of the reason I don't watch him regularly. The other is his whole "look at me, buying all the things" schtick.
He really emphasizes the made in china aspect too.
Yeah, that sound kinda familiar for some reason...

Jam Handy

Reaction score
A few posts above ^^^ I said I had one of these on my radar... tomorrow is the day... if all goes well I'm picking one up at Sam Ash with the form-fit case. Pictures to follow :-)

Jam Handy

Reaction score
As far as Trogly... where does he get the money to buy all these guitars he reviews? Some of them are for some serious cash/... must be a rich boy... which explains the "L" to the forehead about China and/or Indonesia

They've been doing high quality wood working in Indonesia for centuries long before there was a Leo Fender, Orville Gibson, or a Paul Reed Smith...

And if the Chinese folks have enough patience to learn Shaolin Kung Fu I think they can handle a couple guitars...

RR-Ramblers

Reaction score

Ignore the clickbait title card, he seems impressed enough. Not one of my normal channels, but occasionally he gets me in stuff like this.

Informative video on a sweet Bird, except for the "rout out the Firebird logo for a kill switch" and the "attach a handle on the cardboard shipping box if you don't want to buy a case" comments. Trog runs his mouth a bit at times.....

Raiyn

Reaction score
Informative video on a sweet Bird, except for the "rout out the Firebird logo for a kill switch" and the "attach a handle on the cardboard shipping box if you don't want to buy a case" comments. Trog runs his mouth a bit at times.....
Uh, yeah....
That's part of the reason I don't watch him regularly. The other is his whole "look at me, buying all the things" schtick.

Rick Davey

Reaction score
I really like your appearance mods. Those Steinberger tuners really clean up the headstock look, and black pickguards have always been a favorite.

Latest posts