NGD but I need a case for it

• Thread starter CoryB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CoryB

Reaction score
So, I was in a pawn shop the other day and saw this old guitar hanging on the wall. It looked like it still had the original factory strings on it and they were beyond dead. But the neck felt good and it had a cool looking pickup on it. Also the finish was in amazing shape for the age.

The shop had a 30% off everything sale going on so I figured, why not?

What is it? A 1953 New York Epiphone Zenith with a De'Armond "Guitar Mike" monkey-on-a-stick pickup.

After a few hours of cleanup it's turned out to be a gorgeous instrument. I've only found a few problems so far - one fret has a high end, the pot on the pickup is scratchy, and the bridge saddle has a chip out of it under the high E string. Overall, it's amazing for being 64 years old.

But mostly at this time, I need to find a case for it. Any ideas which modern case would fit? It looks to be about the same size as my ES-175 but that guitar is in a different state so I can't try out the case.

I know it never really happened without pictures, so here are a few.z1.jpg z2.jpg z3.jpg

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Nice find and excellent clean-up job. It looks terrific.

Are you looking for an Epi Case? Here's the web page. You have to scroll all the way down to find which guitar fits in which case. Unfortunately, the site doesn't give case dimensions. So you may have to measure your Zenith and see how it compares to other archtops or acoustics.

bossaddict

Reaction score
Really nice! Congrats!

Not sure on the case. The shape looks different than an ES-175 to me, but I can't tell for sure from the pics. Let me know if you need me to take any measurements of my 175's case from the same year.

CoryB

Reaction score
Really nice! Congrats!

Not sure on the case. The shape looks different than an ES-175 to me, but I can't tell for sure from the pics. Let me know if you need me to take any measurements of my 175's case from the same year.

Yeah, in looking at it more, the upper bout is quite a bit smaller than the lower so while it may fit in a 175 case, it won't be quite right. Epiphone lists the ZENCS case for the new Zenith and it looks to be a pretty close match. Maybe I can find one of those to try.

wildeman

Reaction score
Thats a beauty! The DeArmond is a great bonus too, these FHA pickups sound killer.
The pot scratchiness should go away with use.

StringmanK

Reaction score
Wow! Hard to believe nobody snatched her up already. You definitely need a case for that beauty. Congrats on finding a rare gem!

Reaction score
Awesome looking guitar, congrats on obtaining it. The DeArmond monkey-on-a-stick pickup is what was used on the original James Bond theme recording.

Latest posts