NGD Lee Malia Explorer

• Thread starter Michael
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here but I've been reading the forums for a long time. I had 2 guitars that were sleeping in their cases. A Dean Dave Mustaine Rust in Peace, it's a killer guitar, killer tone but the neck is too thin for me now since I sectioned the tendons of my left ring finger and pinky... i can still play as good as before but my neck needs to be a 2x4 hahaha. I also sold my DBZ imperial, one of the best guitar ive had for the price but I never bonded with it. So I decided to sell 2 and get 1 I would play with.

I didnt know exactly what I wanted, I always digged explorer bodies so I tried a brand new 2018 Gibson explorer in my amp and cab at my local music shop here in Quebec, I liked the feel of it, the tone was good but there was no ''wow'' factor. My favorite guitar and the one I compare the others to when I'm looking for something new is my Limited edition V98 Gibson flying V natural finish, that's my excalibur, the one to rule them all. I always ask myself can this new guitar do something my V can't do tone wise, does it feel as good as the V feels in my hand.... and the Gibby Explorer didn't.

As I was playing around with the Gibson my buddy who owns the shop was unboxing the Lee Malia explorer and WOW. When I saw it I wanted it. He gave it to me and I knew it was this one I wanted, the neck profile is perfect for my situation, beefy baseball bat style neck, might not be for everyone but thats what I like. I flicked the switch up and started playing on the P94 in my bugera 6262 infinium through my marshall 4x12 dave mustaine with just a little crunch and reverb. I was sold right there. Thats how a neck pickup should sound to my ears, round with lots and lots of woody tones while not being muddy. The P94 in the neck keep its clarity and at the same time is muffed like a PAF in the neck position.

I then switched to the bridge pup and to the lead chanel and again WOW the level of violence I could get out of this guitar is insane, I have guitars with EMG and my V got the gibson ceramic pups but I can't get this tone with any of my guitars, lots of low end if i want, mids till the morning and good high frequencies while not being too clear either.

I'm impressed, the finish is A1, the action needed adjustment but I've had 3000$ guitars that were in worst condition brand new so thats ok. This is not my first epi and I was always satisfied with the ones I had and this one is definitly one of the best guitars I've ever had, for 925$ cad brand new..

Last edited:

DaveInSoCal

Reaction score
The Epi signature models really are great guitars! I have the Brent Hinds Flying V and that thing is a beast! Also with a baseball bat neck that I love, ebony fingerboard, killer inlays, Lace Sensor pickups. overall kickass axe!

Michael

Reaction score
The Epi signature models really are great guitars! I have the Brent Hinds Flying V and that thing is a beast! Also with a baseball bat neck that I love, ebony fingerboard, killer inlays, Lace Sensor pickups. overall kickass axe!
Yeah I would like to try one... I love me some V's

Jeffytune

Reaction score
It never about how much a guitar cost, what color it is or even what brand, it's all about how it fits and plays with you.
It sounds like your off to a solid start with your new guitar, I would suggest you take the advice from Tom Morello. He had a custom made guitar build for him, and he fussed and fussed over it, claiming it was the worst guitar he ever owned, until he stopped trying to make it something it wasn't and excepted it as it was, then it became his favorite guitar.

Play it and love it, and it will let the best of you out, if you will let it.

Michael

Reaction score
It never about how much a guitar cost, what color it is or even what brand, it's all about how it fits and plays with you.
It sounds like your off to a solid start with your new guitar, I would suggest you take the advice from Tom Morello. He had a custom made guitar build for him, and he fussed and fussed over it, claiming it was the worst guitar he ever owned, until he stopped trying to make it something it wasn't and excepted it as it was, then it became his favorite guitar.

Play it and love it, and it will let the best of you out, if you will let it.
couldn't say it better sir, I bought guitars for the look and the brand but in the end if you don't ''feel'' it then it will just be another guitar, not your guitar. I'm just a translator, she want too say something and I let it out for her, thats how I see it

Keefoman

Reaction score
Quite like the layout and finish on all the LM guitars. The RD is especially one I could have gotten.

Michael

Reaction score
I had band practice this weekend so I had the chance to realy try my new explorer... I only used her to see how it takes everything I play in a band setup ( Lots of sabbath, alice in chains, slayer, metallica, pantera, hendrix, led zepp...and some originals.), I'm in love. That 84t-lm pickup screams!! Takes the high gain stuff like a charm, remains crystal clear in the process too.... I realy pushed it with the bugera 6262, lots of mids from that pickup and not too much high end, just enough and the low end is just perfect, lots of chug chug but not muddy at all ( played in standard tuning an C#) The cleans on the p94 abd in the middle position p94/84t is awesome, lots of wood tones, juts a bit twangy, tried on my rocker 30 clean channel wich only have a volume knob, no eq at all. She get more playing time than my V and it's the first guitar I ever had that gets more love than the V. It's nice how sometimes you realy have no expectations about a guitar and then you end up loving it.

Latest posts