ngd sg modern black

• Thread starter saipan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stillsour

Reaction score
Congrats! I love mine, and hope you love yours as well.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
just an update, i had to take in to get adjusted...the high e was dead on the 1st fret. the diagnosis as a bent neck. only cost 50 bucks for adjustments...but at least i can do a d minor chord now. i guess i should have verified the vendor did a pre set up. oh well, no biggie
Few vendors do a true setup before shipping and zZounds and AMS who ship from the same warehouses are not one of them. I have ordered from both but I'm also prepared to do a setup when the instrument arrives.

Most seem to have been set up fairly well either at the factory or by the builder in the US after they've arrived and before shipping to a dealer but there are always gonna be those that need more attention than others.

$50 for a setup is actually a good price and worth it for anyone who doesn't have the expertise of doing it themselves.

Equalphone

Reaction score
I like the Modern. I also had a black one.

I bought one that it turned out had absolutely the worst fretwork ever. Either a trainee did it or it was “Drink while you work” day at Epiphone.

But once I got it straightened out (level and crown, new nut, lots of detailed setup work) it played great.

I didn’t find much use for the split probuckers, but full on or out of phase they were a lot of fun. Both humbuckers with a little volume control blending hit a nice spot too.

Maple “cap” (actually, most of the body on an SG) gave it a nice bright sound.

The asymmetrical neck is very nice. Very solid. It works for people who like slim necks and I suspect people who like thick necks too.

Didn’t care for those clear knobs though. A set of black speed knobs gave it much better appearance.

Enjoy!

Latest posts