NGD: The Queen of Diamonds

• Thread starter Space1999
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Well I got this guitar back from the luthier’s today.

He put a pair of his hand-wound humbuckers with Alnico 5’s in. He did them scatter-wound like the first pair I got from him. They are intense to say the least.

Big strong bottom with a great hard mid sound and a pleasant upper mid.
The split coil is the best I have ever had. When the pu’s are split they sound just like a top shelf Strat. I don’t know how this guy does this, but I am not asking questions. Just take my money…please!

He also found out that the frets on the guitar where never glued down. Some did not even make contact with the neck! This explains the complaint I had that the guitar was not resonating when it was unplugged like all my good Epi’s do.

Finally he installed a Tusq plus nut instead of the graphite one that the guitar came with.

Now when I play the guitar unplugged it resonates wonderfully and that of course translates big time to the plugged in sound,

I am a happy camper today and very grateful. :)

Pat
Awesome stuff. Nothing like a good chugger.

I've heard that one way to get good splitting humbuckers is to wind the two coils with different gauge wires - so let's say 42 on one coil and 43 on the other. That way you have a blend of different capacitances on each coil and when split, you can also get a slightly louder and fatter sounding single on the coil with the heavier wire. It also accentuates the tone of unbalanced coils in humbucker mode too - so you retain all that PAF style goodness.

*EDIT* - Dimarzio does this. It's a feature on (Air) Nortons, Freds etc...

Last edited:

Latest posts