NGD!

StringmanK

Reaction score
Was checking CL yesterday and found this LP junior, and he was asking less than what half a tank of gas costs me here in California. A few texts and an hour of my time later and she's mine. Hardly a mark or scratch on it. After adjusting the action she plays well enough, and after checking the intonation it looks like I can get it adjusted with the stock bridge. The tuners are not good,especially the G. Not planning to put a lot of $$ into this, but I probably need some better tuners. I already have a Tusq nut that should fit. I plan to take the neck off, give it a fret level crown and polish, smooth the fret ends, etc., and oil the fretboard. Then perhaps throw in some CTS pots, and a new jack, and maybe see if I can split the coil on the pup or switch the magnet to an alnico. If I had to guess I'd say the pup was fairly hot with a ceramic magnet. I kinda like it. Maybe I'll just keep it as is. Damn, I love cheep guitars!lpj.jpg

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Yeah I upgraded the tuners on one of my SGs and have the ones from it (green keystones) to use on my LP Special I. I'm sure if you ask in the member's classifieds someone has an old set laying about.

StringmanK

Reaction score
Update. After noodling around with this thing after work, the fret ends are surprising smooth and I haven't noticed any buzzes. It is a hoot to play, even out of tune! I may not have to do much work after all. Got some tuners like BGood recommends on the way, but in chrome. Once I get the new tuners I'll put them on with the tusq nut and check for any high or loose frets, and fix as needed. But I bet the neck won't need any fret work. Thinking about putting in a GFS mean 90. If I do the pup will cost more than the whole rest of the guitar.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Update. After noodling around with this thing after work, the fret ends are surprising smooth and I haven't noticed any buzzes. It is a hoot to play, even out of tune! I may not have to do much work after all. Got some tuners like BGood recommends on the way, but in chrome. Once I get the new tuners I'll put them on with the tusq nut and check for any high or loose frets, and fix as needed. But I bet the neck won't need any fret work. Thinking about putting in a GFS mean 90. If I do the pup will cost more than the whole rest of the guitar.
Welcome to the "I spent more on upgrading than the guitar costs" club! (two GFS pickups, a tusq nut, and a few spare parts and I'm into about $10 more on mine in parts than I paid for it)

BGood

Reaction score
About the Tusq nut, if you got the XL, they usually area tad to high. Adjust by sanding the bottom with sandpaper lying on a flat surface. Not too much a a time. Check often. You know how to measure the strings height ?

Tuners might need holes to be widened. No fuss on such a cheap guitar. You won't really care about resell value.

As for P90 in a humbucker size, check this one. I have a set and they are just ... amazing. Can't believe people paying top price for such pickups when you can get really good quality so cheap.
SERIOUSLY !
$35 a pair !

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/P-94-Style-Humbucker-sized-P-90-Pickups-Alnico-5-/281699394273

$_57.JPG

StringmanK

Reaction score
About the Tusq nut, if you got the XL, they usually area tad to high. Adjust by sanding the bottom with sandpaper lying on a flat surface. Not too much a a time. Check often. You know how to measure the strings height ?

Tuners might need holes to be widened. No fuss on such a cheap guitar. You won't really care about resell value.

As for P90 in a humbucker size, check this one. I have a set and they are just ... amazing. Can't believe people paying top price for such pickups when you can get really good quality so cheap.
SERIOUSLY !
$35 a pair !

Thanks for the tip! I may pull the trigger on these. I only need the bridge, but maybe I can re-sell the neck or save it for another project. As for widening the holes, I have had good luck using my hand drill in reverse just to get past the "danger zone" of tear out, if that makes sense.

JohnS

Reaction score
I have some Strat pups from Guitar Madness and they are really nice. And only $23.00. Check again. They also sell singles.

jtcnj

Reaction score
HN jr Day!! Congrats on snagging a good cheap deal. I wouldn't go overboard on upgrades, but a little modding goes a long way on these.
The SG JR in my avatar got a GFS mean 90 and its like it was made for it. The electronics are stock and are just fine.

DrB pointed me to similar tuners and they are good enough, much better than the stock ones.
The screw holes dont match, and mine are all cockeyed for now.

the tuner holes will need to be reamed to 10mm I think. I used this tool; it is perfect for this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html

I have a set of the GM strat pickups in my SX, I really like them.

Latest posts