NGD!

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, I just bought this from a friend and fellow forum member. She had bought it last year ant full price, it was around $700.

MF has them new this month for $579.00. But since I did the setup on this guitar and I knew what I was getting, I offered her $600.00.

It’s still a good deal for both of us. I had bought the same guitar but in a different color and Pau Ferro fretboard, new from Adriana on sale for around $400. Earlier this year, and the neck pocket was so tight that the finish cracked and fell off at the neck pocket, and the fingerboard was so rough t feeling that I didn’t like it, and I sold that one.

This one with the maple board feels so nice and it plays so well, that I felt the price was worth it, and it never got played, it just sat in the case, partially because of the weight.

They strings were the same Cobalts that I had used when I set it up for her, and they weren’t even broken in.

She is selling her heavy electrics and will list some of them here and at other forums.

So, here it is, my new Fender Player Plus Too Strat.

IMG_0826.jpegIMG_0825.jpeg

3bolt79

Reaction score
Ha ha @Charles Carter ! THAT IS FUNNY. No, I did a really gold job on it, and that's why it plays so well👍. She just wasn't playing it, and is selling her solid body guitars due to some being quite heavy. I just traded her a Cadillac Green Gretsch Hollowbody for her D'Angelico DC Mini XT, and bought her a case for it.

The case was to make it fair for her dollar wise, as we both spent the same amount of money on the guitars and cases. She had bought the D'Angelico used from the local Mom and Pop shop. It came with an SD JB and SD Jazz pickups in it, and she couldn't get a good clean tone out of it as the pups were too hot for her taste.

I had originally planned to give the Gretsch to my son, and I did the set up on it, and spent a few months adjusting pickup and pole piece heights to get the best sounds between the neck and bridge pups, both with and without coil splits.

When I ordered the Gretsch, a 2420, I made the error of getting one without the Bigsby. Had I ordered the guitar with a Bigsby, I'd likely would have kept it. That guitar has Broadtrons, BTS 3 pickups, which are pretty much like a PAF. The DCR on the pups was around 8 and 7 K Ohms. It had the best clean sound out of any of my Gretsch's.

The D'Angelico is glorious through high gain, and I was going to give it to my son for his birthday in July. However, I decided to give him a Gibson SG Standard instead.

My son is getting out of the Army in a couple of days. He will be back here in Oregon in early August, and won't be here for Christmas due to work (he will be living in Oklahoma), so I'm giving him the SG for his birthday, and a nice Fender acoustic with case for Christmas when he comes home to Oregon in a few weeks.

He will also be going home with an Ortega Classical A/E and an Epiphone LP that I set up for E flat. Both of those were his Christmas and birthday presents from last year that he couldn't take due to being overseas in Europe.

I'm also sending him home with an ES335 clone that I got in barter for some Luthier work. I don't need it as I have the D'Angelico now, so I'm sending that home with him just because.
That will leave him with a total of 8 guitars, and all were bought by me.

He now has guitars as follows:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
Epiphone LP Classic Worn Gold Top
Kramer Vintage Pacer
Fender Redondo Acoustic/Electric
Indio ES335 Clone
Ortega Classical A/E cutaway
Fender American Special Strat HSS
Gibson SG Standard

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Ha ha @Charles Carter ! THAT IS FUNNY. No, I did a really gold job on it, and that's why it plays so well👍. She just wasn't playing it, and is selling her solid body guitars due to some being quite heavy. I just traded her a Cadillac Green Gretsch Hollowbody for her D'Angelico DC Mini XT, and bought her a case for it.

The case was to make it fair for her dollar wise, as we both spent the same amount of money on the guitars and cases. She had bought the D'Angelico used from the local Mom and Pop shop. It came with an SD JB and SD Jazz pickups in it, and she couldn't get a good clean tone out of it as the pups were too hot for her taste.

I had originally planned to give the Gretsch to my son, and I did the set up on it, and spent a few months adjusting pickup and pole piece heights to get the best sounds between the neck and bridge pups, both with and without coil splits.

When I ordered the Gretsch, a 2420, I made the error of getting one without the Bigsby. Had I ordered the guitar with a Bigsby, I'd likely would have kept it. That guitar has Broadtrons, BTS 3 pickups, which are pretty much like a PAF. The DCR on the pups was around 8 and 7 K Ohms. It had the best clean sound out of any of my Gretsch's.

The D'Angelico is glorious through high gain, and I was going to give it to my son for his birthday in July. However, I decided to give him a Gibson SG Standard instead.

My son is getting out of the Army in a couple of days. He will be back here in Oregon in early August, and won't be here for Christmas due to work (he will be living in Oklahoma), so I'm giving him the SG for his birthday, and a nice Fender acoustic with case for Christmas when he comes home to Oregon in a few weeks.

He will also be going home with an Ortega Classical A/E and an Epiphone LP that I set up for E flat. Both of those were his Christmas and birthday presents from last year that he couldn't take due to being overseas in Europe.

I'm also sending him home with an ES335 clone that I got in barter for some Luthier work. I don't need it as I have the D'Angelico now, so I'm sending that home with him just because.
That will leave him with a total of 8 guitars, and all were bought by me.

He now has guitars as follows:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
Epiphone LP Classic Worn Gold Top
Kramer Vintage Pacer
Fender Redondo Acoustic/Electric
Indio ES335 Clone
Ortega Classical A/E cutaway
Fender American Special Strat HSS
Gibson SG Standard
What a great dad! 😍

3bolt79

Reaction score
What a great dad! 😍
My son is still pretty Green at guitar, but over the past couple of years he's been playing almost daily and getting better. Just in the last year, the last time he was home, we were able to play a whole song together. It was Kiss' Firehouse. He had all of Paul Stanley's parts down.

I will probably have to teach it to him again as we had just got through it the day before he had to leave. And I forgot some of Ace's parts. But it was a big milestone for us.

He has some memory problems from a TBI sustained in combat, but it's sorta mild. Anyway he's only 29 in the next couple of weeks and has his whole life ahead of him to improve and play.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
My son is still pretty Green at guitar, but over the past couple of years he's been playing almost daily and getting better. Just in the last year, the last time he was home, we were able to play a whole song together. It was Kiss' Firehouse. He had all of Paul Stanley's parts down.

I will probably have to teach it to him again as we had just got through it the day before he had to leave. And I forgot some of Ace's parts. But it was a big milestone for us.

He has some memory problems from a TBI sustained in combat, but it's sorta mild. Anyway he's only 29 in the next couple of weeks and has his whole life ahead of him to improve and play.
That's fantastic!
What a buzz being able to play together with your son.
Totally stoked for you.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Sounds like “winning“ all around for everyone!
Yeah, I'd say the same. Guitar swaps are always a challenge as far as getting equivalent value. Glad you two got it worked out Scott. When I think back to swaps I made in the '70s no cared much about equivalent value as much as we did about getting what we wanted or needed.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say the same. Guitar swaps are always a challenge as far as getting equivalent value. Glad you two got it worked out Scott. When I think back to swaps I made in the '70s no cared much about equivalent value as much as we did about getting what we wanted or needed.
Yeah, I mean I could have got it for less new, but would have only saved 29 bucks. I had ordered on like it but in a different color for $398, and it sucked. But with this one I knew what I was getting. And, she’s a friend, and if I have a warranty issue, she will present it and take care of it. Win/Win.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, being that the guitar that she traded lists for $899.00 new with a gig bag now, and mine lists for for $499.00. the trade was still somewhat lopsided in my favor this time. Hers had a factory branded hard case with it. So I traded her the guitar which cost me $450 and a new Gretsch branded hard case which cost me $175 new for her guitar.

She had paid like $650 for her guitar used with case. So we were within $25.00 of being dead equal, as far as what we paid. Her guitar was four years old and mine was a few months old.

She had originally bought one like mine, but in a different color with a tweed case, but the guitar arrived with a broken neck. She sent that back, but not the case. So I bought her case, since I am going to replace the guitar that I traded her with the same guitar, but with a Bigsby.

We're cool. Today the two of us went to Guitar Center. I had two guitars to sell, and so did she. She really liked one of the guitars I was selling, and said she wished I would sell it to her. So I did. I sold it to her at the same price GC had offered to buy it for.

Then we met up with my mom and I bought everybody drinks and dinner. It was a great day for me as my health usually precludes me from leaving the house for anything other than doctor's visits.

Latest posts