Noisy Jack

• Thread starter Ahr Aitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ahr Aitch

Reaction score
Howdy folks! Newb here who is also a geezer (past 80) who is trying to learn to play. This is my second post, the first was in introductions. Please be gentle.

I have an Epiphone LP that I bought a few months back. It looks almost pristine. There are no dings or signs of wear or pick scratches. It tunes easily. (I use a Snark or my Mustang LT25 amp). If I don't move at all, it plays without noise; but if I move enough to cause the cable to move, I get static . . . a LOT of static. It's interfering with my practice sessions.

I removed the jack to inspect it. The wires are firmly soldered with no indication of problems. The jack in tightly bolted/screwed to the receiver/bracket. Sorry, but I lack the vocabulary to describe this any better. I did not try to tighten the jack without removing it because I found YTs that cautioned against it. I did try 3 different cables, all gave the same result. I have a Fender wireless gadget that plugs into the jack. It, too, makes crazy static.

I don't know what else to do to diagnose the problem. I found nothing helpful online. I'm retired living on a limited pension; so I don't have the funds to pay a luthier. My guess (should I call it a SWAG?) is that the jack is bad for some reason. I have a multimeter but don't know if it can be used to determine if the jack is bad. I found this forum thinking that other Epiphone users might be able to help me diagnose the problem and suggest solutions. Before I buy a new jack and replace the old one, I thought I'd ask here.

If I need to replace the jack, are there brands I should buy or avoid? Is replacing the jack enough or should I replace the the jack holder and cover as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

You've used different cables so you've eliminated that as a source so we're back to the jack itself. Tough to diagnose without seeing the guitar but one thing I would check is to make certain the cable end is making proper contact with the jack. It should snap into place and be held firmly by the clip inside the jack socket.

The jack itself should be tightened so it's not moving either. If all of this is as it should be I would replace the jack. This PureTone Jack should do the trick. It's $7 and change at Amazon. I'll let some of the others who've worked on Les Pauls more than I have chime in with their own thoughts and suggestions.

1726856378189.jpeg

Pure Tone Multi-Contact 1/4 inch Mono Output Jack | Black Nickel | Dual Tension Grounds & Dual Positive Tips for Optimal Signal, Tone & Lowest Possible Noise​

Visit the Pure Tone Technologies Store

4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 5,782 ratings

| Search this page

#1 Best Seller in Electric Guitar Electronics

500+ bought in past month

$7.39 with 13 percent savings -13%
$7.39

Typical price: $8.49 Typical price:
$8.49

FREE Returns

30-day refund/replacement

Size: 1-pack Black Nickel

1-pack Black Nickel

• $7.39
    FREE Delivery Monday

• 1-pack Gold

3 options from $7.69

• 1-pack Nickel

6 options from $4.59

2-pack Nickel

• $12.59
    FREE Delivery Monday

5-pack Nickel

$21.00
(

• $4.20 / count)
    FREE Delivery Monday

Brand Pure Tone Technologies
Color Black Nickel
Compatible Devices Devices with a 1/4 inch mono output, such as electric guitars and certain audio equipment
Material Copper
Model Name Pure Tone Multi-Contact

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
I doubt you need a new jack. Does the cable snap securely when you insert it ? If not, the long prong that receives the cable "male apparatus" can gently be bend so it makes better contact. LIke this.

Loose jack.jpg

If that isn't the solution, does the static sound like a hum/buzz or is it scratchy. If it is, maybe a ground is faulty. Does the noise disappears when you touch the cable jack or the bridge/strings ?

Latest posts