NPD Digitech Whammy DT!

• Thread starter Space1999
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I really love a lot of bands that have drop tunings or tune down a half step or a whole step. But I am not willing to commit certain guitars to just one tuning.

So I was never able to play any of their songs. Not to mention I do not have a Floyd Rose on any of my guitars or a harmonizer pedal.

So I decided to buy the Digitech DT. It was an expensive gamble but the reviews were positive and I was hopeful.

I have to say that this is a very cool pedal.
I was able to drop a standard tumed guitar with a drop D down 3 half steps to drop B and it sounded completely natural and there was no noticeable delay. Same raising the tuning up as well.

Having the Whammy on the other side gives you all the fun stuff plus harmonizing and even up to 2 octaves up and down.

There is a slight high end roll off with the pedal even in true bypass. I actually find it pleasing. It reminds me of a tape machine roll off at about 13k.

If you want to power it with a brick you are going to need a 9V/300 ma source or you will have to use the wall wart.

I also highly recommend spending $60 and getting the Digitech FS3X pedal to change sides and presets.

Totally worth the money and not only useful but endless creative ways to use the pedal.

IMG_2401.jpeg

Pat

Charles Carter

Reaction score
I really love a lot of bands that have drop tunings or tune down a half step or a whole step. But I am not willing to commit certain guitars to just one tuning.

So I was never able to play any of their songs. Not to mention I do not have a Floyd Rose on any of my guitars or a harmonizer pedal.

So I decided to buy the Digitech DT. It was an expensive gamble but the reviews were positive and I was hopeful.

I was able to drop a standard tumed guitar with a drop D down 3 half steps to drop B and it sounded completely natural and there was no noticeable delay. Same raising the tuning up as well.

Having the Whammy on the other side gives you all the fun stuff plus harmonizing and even up to 2 octaves up and down.

There is a slight high end roll off with the pedal even in true bypass. I actually find it pleasing. It reminds me of a tape machine roll off at about 13k.

If you want to power it with a brick you are going to need a 9V/300 ma source or you will have to use the wall wart.

I also highly recommend spending $60 and getting the Digitech FS3X pedal to change sides and presets.

Totally worth the money and not only useful but endless creative ways to use the pedal.

View attachment 27007

Pat
I'm glad you're pleased with your purchase Pat and thanks for the quick summary.
It's a sexy looking bit of kit too!

Last edited:

Maguchi

Reaction score

View attachment 27007

Pat
Congrats, those are great pedals. I got a old Digitech Whammy IV from the early 2000s and I love it! Have fun with it.

Space1999

Reaction score
I plugged my Epi Hummingbird 12 string into it yesterday and it was amazing. I had a lot of fun with adding octaves up and down, changing tunings and it tracked great.

Wasn’t so sure it could keep up with a 12 string but it did it like a champ. The define effect sounded really nice on the 12 string as well.

Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
I have the older Whammy Pedal, have it on my Digitech RP-12 and Digitech 2112 SGS .
They sure are fun and musical , enjoy my friend !!!!
Thanks AJ! I am having a blast using it. It’s really fun to change up your guitar playing with this pedal.

I have been learning some RATM and SOAD tunes now that I have it.

I love the detune - “anti chorus” - effect!

I did end up buying a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 4x4 just for it because the power supply I had on that Temple board added a lot of noise and didn’t have much headroom with 9V - 300ma output.

It was a night and day difference and I felt more secure with the tried and true Voodoo Labs power block.

Pat

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I use my Whammy for songs like our cover of Ozzy's Crazy Babies or Pantera's Broken.
It's a great way to down tune to a lower pitch.
Plus side, you don't have to down tune the guitar, deal with intonation adjustments or change to a thicker string gauge size 😎👍

What other effects are you running it thru ?
Are placing it before or after the distortion ?

Latest posts