NPD ~ Wolfetone content within! WOW

• Thread starter DHart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DHart

Reaction score
I have been largely a single-coil guy through the decades, though not exclusively.

For PAF-style pickups, I've enjoyed some variety... Gibson Classic '57s, BurstBucker Pros, and Dimarzio PAF Masters, Duncan Antiquities, and a few others (Gibson 490s didn't excite me). All very good pickups, each with their own particular sound, nothing "boutique", nor premium priced.

As some of you know, I play a pretty clean style, tone-wise, and really love single-coils (a variety of Fenders, Cavaliers, and TV Jones T-Armonds), so with humbuckers I also tend to seek out clarity, articulate detail, and sparkle (NO mud).

Of late, I reached out to try Wolfetone Dr. Vintage (PAFs with A2 mags) in one of my Les Paul Moderns.

Oh my Lord... I've never heard a PAF-like pickup exhibit such detailed clarity and sparkle as these Dr. Vs... owing largely to the quality materials, construction, lack of wax potting, AND lack of covers. All of these elements combine to deliver stunning "openness" in tone quality from a humbucker pickup.

Of course, I still love Classic '57s for their rich, round warmth, and PAF Masters for tonal range and sparkle, but if one seeks very articulate, detailed clarity and sparkle... man these Dr. Vs are the bomb.

Many thanks to Wolfe for creating these great pickups and pricing them so sensibly. (He has had a sale on since COVID that I'm told will be ending soon.)

In one of my (two) Les Paul Moderns...
53206552083_13eb57492d_k.jpg

53206632969_8e0e747f59_k.jpg

As a side note - these Epi Les Paul Moderns are absolutely stunningly great guitars... I love them just as much as my 2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional and the four other Gibson Les Pauls I've owned over the years. Fit, finish, build quality are all just great. Locking Grover tuners and the ebony fretboard are great frosting on top of the delicious cake! :)

For anyone yearning for sparkling rich, detailed, articulate clarity from PAF-style humbuckers, I can whole-heartedly recommend the very sensibly priced Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups!

D, over and out.

BGood

Reaction score
As some of you know, I play a pretty clean style, tone-wise, and really love single-coils (a variety of Fenders, Cavaliers, and TV Jones T-Armonds), so with humbuckers I also tend to seek out clarity, articulate detail, and sparkle (NO mud).
And ... you don't have any P90s ? You don't know what your missing.

For anyone yearning for sparkling rich, detailed, articulate clarity from PAF-style humbuckers, I can whole-heartedly recommend the very sensibly priced Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pickups!
In the same price range, if you have the chance to try Tyson Tone Lab PAFs, you be pleasantly surprised. I have these in my Epi LP Ultra and they are stellar.
https://tysontone.com/product/precious-and-grace-pafs/

DHart

Reaction score
And ... you don't have any P90s ? You don't know what your missing.
Well, let me inform you, if I may?

For several years I had an Epiphone ES-339 Pro with P90s, and many years with a PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow body with P90s. And for a fair number of years, I had a Gibson Les Paul Special with P90s.

So, as it turns out, I may not have a huge amount of experience with P90s, but I do have some experience with them. 😎 Perhaps I just haven't had "the right" guitar with P90s? Who knows? I'd be willing to take on a Gibson Les Paul Standard '50s with P90s for a trial run!

I think P90s are ok! But, obviously, I wasn't so enamored with them to hold onto those guitars forever. 🤔

I might also mention, just to be complete.... I have guitars with Firebird pickups, T-Armonds, Fideli'trons, Filter'trons, HiLo'trons, and TVJones Classics, as well. I absolutely love Firebird pickups, and the T-Armonds are great. I'm less enamored with the different 'trons.

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
In the same price range, if you have the chance to try Tyson Tone Lab PAFs, you be pleasantly surprised. I have these in my Epi LP Ultra and they are stellar.
https://tysontone.com/product/precious-and-grace-pafs/
Never heard of Tyson pickups, not that that means anything on them. BUT, I'll take your word for it that they sound great! Which ones do you have? In what guitar?

If I were to order a Tyson set... it would probably be the Deacon set.

My two Wolfetone Dr. Vs were $202 ($101 each, with the sale Wolfe has had going on since COVID) so, they were about 1/3 less costly than the Tyson offering. And there is a huge, long standing following of glowing praise for Wolfe... so, there's that influential factor playing into it.

All that said, there is no shortage out there of good winders making great pickups! Personally, I just avoid the "precious-priced" cork sniffing offerings.

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
Never heard of Tyson pickups, not that that means anything on them. BUT, I'll take your word for it that they sound great! Which ones do you have? In what guitar?

If I were to order a Tyson set... it would probably be the Deacon set.

My two Wolfetone Dr. Vs were $202 ($101 each, with the sale Wolfe has had going on since COVID) so, they were about 1/3 less costly than the Tyson offering. And there is a huge, long standing following of glowing praise for Wolfe... so, there's that influential factor playing into it.

All that said, there is no shortage out there of good winders making great pickups! Personally, I just avoid the "precious-priced" cork sniffing offerings.
What model in what guitar ? You might have missed it, it's right there in my previous message :)

This guy seems to like them.

I never heard of Wolfetone pickups either, doesn't say much ... LOL.
I compared prices with what's on Wolfetone's website, which is $135 to $157. Tyson Tone are $155. Pretty similar to me.

As cork sniffing offerings, to each its own. Doctor Vintage is not lacking :hmm:
From the raunchy sound of the hot P.A.F style Marshallhead, to the sweeter, more subtle sound of the Dr. Vintage, and the paint-peeling output of the Blisterbucker, we’re sure we have something for you.

I have to say, I would never pay that much for pickups, I was (very) lucky to win that Tyson set.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Oh good. Nothing better than a Saturday AM "Battle of the Humbuckers". :D

Personally I appreciate any suggestions that lead toward humbuckers with more clarity while still retaining what makes them sound different from single coils. Here's three more for any one of us to consider.

DHart

Reaction score
What model in what guitar ? You might have missed it, it's right there in my previous message :)
Oh yes... I did miss that. I see that now. Thank you.
As cork sniffing offerings, to each its own. Doctor Vintage is not lacking :hmm:
From the raunchy sound of the hot P.A.F style Marshallhead, to the sweeter, more subtle sound of the Dr. Vintage, and the paint-peeling output of the Blisterbucker, we’re sure we have something for you.

I have to say, I would never pay that much for pickups, I was (very) lucky to win that Tyson set.
Personally, I wouldn't characterize those descriptions as sounding at all like "cork sniffing".

Like you, I'm definitely not one to spend much more than $100 for a pickup, though I have stretched somewhat higher for a few TV Jones pickups, Cavalier Firebirds, and for an Antiquity II Minihumbucker. Those pickups were definitely worth the price of admission.

As for my Wolfetones... I mentioned the current sale, but did not mention, specifically, that I paid $101 each for them (Wolfetone has a 25% discount going on right now.) For pickups of Wolfetone quality, $101 is a steal! In fact, they sound so good and are priced so well that I'm going to go back for a second set to install in my 2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional:
53189996259_6b2193909f_k.jpg

DHart

Reaction score
Epiphones are enjoying an increasing presence in my guitar squadron. There are five now, including the ES-339 Pro (not pictured below).

Here's a cell phone pic of my Epiphone Les Pauls (two Moderns and two ES-Les Pauls) The Wine Red ES-Les Paul has a pair of TV Jones T-Armond pickups in it - sounding superb. The Trans Black ES-Les Paul is the only Epiphone I have left which is still stock. I think I will be installing a pair of Firebird pickups in it, ultimately.
53207407447_ecc993ed63_k.jpg

Cavalier Firebird pickups in my ES-339 Pro:
51922258243_32efd209b4_k.jpg

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
That's a Heck of a coupon code. Website says $135 each for a 4 conductor black bobbin.
If you look on the splash page (opening page) of the website, center of the page, you will see the 25% Discount Offer and CODE.

25% off $135 is $101. That is a smoking deal for such high quality, "boutique" pickups.

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Huh. Didn't get that, probably because I went directly in off a search engine.

It's good to know, but I'm perfectly happy with the Carvins and DiMarzio's I have.

I only got a 20% deal on the DiMarzio's though. $80ea.

It is nice to see another maker not totally gouging people though.

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
Huh. Didn't get that, probably because I went directly in off a search engine.

It's good to know, but I'm perfectly happy with the Carvins and DiMarzio's I have.

I only got a 20% deal on the DiMarzio's though. $80ea.

It is nice to see another maker not totally gouging people though.
Wolfe's 25% discount has been going since the beginning of COVID!!! He has been a true saint in having this offer for so long, when so many other "boutique" winders have been pricing into nose bleed territory for pickups. Even at Wolfe's regular price... his pickups are generously priced in favor of we guitarists. The Wolfe discount will be going away soon, I've been told.

Latest posts