nut question

• Thread starter chont
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chont

Reaction score
So I noticed on my Epi 335 Pro that Open chords sound "off". If i tune the G string a hair flat its a little better. I checked with the tuner and if i fret the first couple frets gently the notes are where they should be. If i use my normal playing pressure they go sharp. Would this be symptomatic of high nut slots? I found a local shop that seems very credible so my thoughts were to give it a whirl on the plastic nut, and if i eff it up completely, hand it off to them to have them swap it for a bone or tusq nut and give it a good setup. Action is perfect otherwise.

chont

Reaction score
I'll give that a try. It's a bummer because my strat isn't like that. I'm talking just enough pressure to fret the note clearly. I hope my technique isn't THAT bad LOL. But anything is possible.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have experienced worse cut nuts on Strats that Epis, but I did have a Korean G-310 with a high nut. From my point of view any pressure greater that needed to cleanly fret a note is too much, but I have the benefit of 52 years of practice and performance. "Perfect" guitar set up is as individual as the guitarist. I think I would measure the string height (bottom of open string to the top of the first fret) on each guitar and compare. Also consider using 1 grade heavier string gauge on the Epi, because it's a shorter scale and the same gauge you use on your Strat will feel looser on the Epi.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I installed a new graphite nut on my Epiphone LP Standard and it sure made a world of difference in the sound of the guitar. I sanded carefully the bottom side of the nut until it was the right height. For example if you press the high E string at the 3rd fret there should be a slight space above the 1st fret. If it's touching the 1st fret then the nut is too low. You can use an automotive feeler gauge to test this out. I'm not quite sure what the exact measurement is but you could probably research it on Google. I just go by eye myself.

;>)/

PeterOeh

Reaction score
So I noticed on my Epi 335 Pro that Open chords sound "off". If i tune the G string a hair flat its a little better. I checked with the tuner and if i fret the first couple frets gently the notes are where they should be. If i use my normal playing pressure they go sharp. Would this be symptomatic of high nut slots? I found a local shop that seems very credible so my thoughts were to give it a whirl on the plastic nut, and if i eff it up completely, hand it off to them to have them swap it for a bone or tusq nut and give it a good setup. Action is perfect otherwise.
sounds like the nut slot is a few hairs too high. i strongly recommend that you get a graph tec tusq nut
they improve the overall core sound of your guitar, increase the sustaine and the strings will never stick to the nut slots again. and you can easily install that graph tec tusq nut by yourself:hmm:. its a over all win/win situtaion with no downsides:dude: cheers:cheers:

Latest posts