Pair of Moderns!

• Thread starter DHart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DHart

Reaction score
After buying a Pelham Blue Epi LP Modern, which I modded to Dimarzio PAF Masters, including CTS electronics and Switchcraft jack/switch....

53013381721_b35d1e007a_h.jpg

I love the guitar so much that I decided to get one in Burgundy (my favorite guitar color).

What I love about the Les Paul Modern is:

-Ebony fretboard (smooth, hard, and black)
-Grover locking tuners
-Graphtec Nut
-Modern weight relief (just under 8 lbs.)
-Asymmetrical neck
-Balances well on the lap while playing sitting

Not really interested in the:

-Spilt coil and out-of-phase switching
-Clear plastic knobs

Most importantly, of course, is the build quality and finishing that Gibson has established with these "Inspired by Gibson" Epiphones. Quite impressive. The Epiphone version sells for 1/4 the price of the USA-made version, and for that substantial difference... one can easily mod pickups and electronics, as desired, and still come in well under 1/3 the price of the Gibson version.

Anyway... here's the Burgundy Modern as it arrived:

53164757208_80f4da328a_h.jpg

53164272651_db4f902659_h.jpg

I had an idea that with this guitar, I'd like to take the looks back to the seventies... so, just for kicks and giggles... I switched out to cream trim and wine speed knobs.

53164610291_451dea2ed5_h.jpg

53165093323_91e8d851db_h.jpg

Ultimately, I think this guitar is destined to be modded to Dimarzio Eric Johnson humbuckers with uncovered creme bobbins, CTS electronics, and Switchcraft switch & jack. (The split coil and out of phase switching doesn't really appeal to me, so swapping that out is fine with me.) That would complete the transformation.

And, while shopping for this Burgundy LP Modern, I discovered that Gibson had also created an Epiphone SG Modern "Figured" - featuring the ebony fretboard, locking Grover tuners, and Graphtec nut that I so appreciate about their "Modern" line. The price (with a discount) was quite sensible, so I ordered one of these along with the Les Paul Modern:

53163682917_b66bba2f99_h.jpg

53163682937_6a5e32eef0_h.jpg

I haven't had an SG since the 1970's, so I'm enjoying getting some SG action in, once again. With this model, a maple top has been added to the mahogany back, which gives a bit more high-end sparkle to the traditional SG tone. This SG is actually just a little brighter than the Les Paul Modern.

I don't know that I will do any mods to the SG Modern... other than perhaps a set of black speed knobs. I like it pretty much just as is.

Pair-o-Moderns
53163682927_4cf0502171_h.jpg

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with the Gibson Les Pauls I have owned over the years has been the weight and not balancing well on the lap while playing sitting.

Thus, the Les Paul Modern, with modern weight relief has come with great appeal to me.

53165469033_3b1d535f0e_h.jpg

To my ears, tone is just as great as bodies without weight relief, but balance is dramatically improved and weight of <8 lbs. is a joy to handle. I sure love that.

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
Gibson came out with their Les Paul Deluxe '70s model in wine red with cream plastics, so I got the sense that perhaps cream plastics were somewhat common in the '70s. In any event, I was inspired by the look of the LP Deluxe '70s to go with cream plastics on my Modern.

I prefer the more "old school" look vs. the "modern" look, poker chip especially, and the old school '50s wiring.

But I like some of the modern features (locking Grovers, Graphtec nut, asymmetrical neck, heel carve) and especially the use of an ebony fretboard!

Les Paul Deluxe '70s

Les Paul Modern w/Ebony fretboard - Burgundy with creme plastics
53164610291_451dea2ed5_h.jpg

dodona

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with the Gibson Les Pauls I have owned over the years has been the weight and not balancing well on the lap while playing sitting.

Thus, the Les Paul Modern, with modern weight relief has come with great appeal to me.

53165469033_3b1d535f0e_h.jpg

To my ears, tone is just as great as bodies without weight relief, but balance is dramatically improved and weight of <8 lbs. is a joy to handle. I sure love that.
can't imagine that

Equalphone

Reaction score
Looks much better with the creme plastics and gold knobs. In fact, there's a good chance that I'll be doing an SG in that motif.

I don't think those clear knobs look good on any guitar.

Latest posts