Pickup up a used Modern... funny pot behavior?

DeltaNu1142

Reaction score
I just picked up my first Epiphone at a Guitar Center. I had a 2007 Gibson LP Studio some years ago, and the Faded Pelham Blue of the Epi reminds me a lot of the "Flip Flop" color of my old Gibson.

This guitar has obviously been modified a bit, with black speed knobs, a poker chip, and a truss rod cover that looks like it has the previous owner's name on it. After playing it, I'm wondering if there are any mods past the aesthetic.

The neck volume pot works as I'd expect it to when the neck pickup is selected. However, when the toggle is in the middle position, the max travel stop for the neck vol pot is around 3-4 numbers beyond what I hear as the "max" volume, so it seems like there's something wrong there... as in, it reaches max volume output, and I can keep turning it 3-4 numbers as the volume decrease. Conversely, the bridge vol pot maxes out at the stop when the toggle is either in the middle or bridge/lower position.

Ever seen this before?

Here's a photo... I've blurred out the truss rod cover a bit so it's not identifiable. I've also since put the pick guard back on... I took it off because it had a horrendous overlay on it I wanted to remove. I have a replacement truss rod cover and a custom poker chip on the way from Philadelphia Luthier Tools. I'd like to replace the pearl tuner buttons with nickel at some point. The poker chip that came on it looks like it might have some adhesive around it. I really hope that's not the case...

EDIT: Maybe you guys can suggest replacement pots. Bourns? Does anyone have a direct replacement part #? Maybe while I'm in there, I'll replace the last remaining non-push-pull pot and put in a bypass/blower.

Attachments

• IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    733.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
I have the exact.same guitar with the exact same issue. Probably a good thing 8n the long run cause it forces me to change the pots which I'm sure will improve the tone. BTW, I ordered a set of vol tone speed knobs for mine and they didn't fit. What kind are yours

3bolt79

Reaction score
I have the exact.same guitar with the exact same issue. Probably a good thing 8n the long run cause it forces me to change the pots which I'm sure will improve the tone. BTW, I ordered a set of vol tone speed knobs for mine and they didn't fit. What kind are yours
Did you get metric? That is probably what’s needed.

DHart

Reaction score
You did good! Those are really awesome guitars. Light weight, well balanced, ebony fretboard, locking Grovers, GraphTech nut, asymmetric neck carve. What great specs, build quality, and finish. Mod it to your pleasure! I did just that with my two LP Moderns Pelham Blue and Sparkling Burgund), modded to perfectly suit my objectives.

Last edited:

Strat1127

Reaction score
I have one of these and have not experienced what you are describing. The stock pots are CTS (3 push-pulls with PCB's and one standard CTS (Neck Tone) so there shouldn't be any issues there unless they are bad. Maybe the previous owner made some modifications to the stock wiring? A picture of the control cavity would help...

Latest posts