Please try not to laugh.

• Thread starter Fred Huelsbeck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Huelsbeck

Reaction score
I know little to nothing about tune-o-matic bridges. I own a Dot BP and just noticed the intonation screws may be on the wrong side. The screw heads face the pickups, not the string guide. I've looked at a few different images online and I found pictures where they are face both directions. Considering the individual saddles can be rotated I'm wondering if it matters which way the screw heads face other than ease of access. So, my question is, how do I tell if my bridge is backwards, assuming there is a backwards?

BGood

Reaction score
Both side work. Some like the screw access better one side than the other. Saddles are usually facing the same way whatever side the bridge is, if they weren't inverted.

We all asked ourselves the same question, first time we saw it.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I used to think it was so they could sell you a special (expensive) screwdriver to adjust the intonation. But they don't. So I don't know the answer.

Fred Huelsbeck

Reaction score
Both side work. Some like the screw access better one side than the other. Saddles are usually facing the same way whatever side the bridge is, if they weren't inverted.

We all asked ourselves the same question, first time we saw it.

Thanks for the info. I bought my guitar new and the saddles for strings 1-3 face 1 way, 4-6 the other way. I'm doing full setup this weekend, think I want the screws away from the pickups.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I bought my guitar new and the saddles for strings 1-3 face 1 way, 4-6 the other way. I'm doing full setup this weekend, think I want the screws away from the pickups.
Mine face the pickups. I've got a long screwdriver that works better from that angle.
flat-side-of-what-big-2-jpg.4385

BGood

Reaction score
All bridges come this way. If you turn it around 180°, saddles will face the same way as before. Try to visualise it and you'll get it.

TimTheViking

Reaction score
I found that when doing the intonation I almost had to remove one of the saddles and turn it around so I could get it in the necessary position.

King B

Reaction score
I found that when doing the intonation I almost had to remove one of the saddles and turn it around so I could get it in the necessary position.
This is an XLNT point made here. There are things about the bridge that I figured out through trial and error but it never occurred to me to flip that hard to intonate saddle. It easily gains 3/32" one way or the other. Thanks Tim the Viking!

King B

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Fred! I'm glad you thought to ask that question. I think Epiphone factory settings place the intonation screws facing the pup. But it must not matter. Did you happen to bring your Dot with you? We'd all love to see it!

John

Reaction score
Mine face the pups as well. It just didn't make sense to me facing the tail piece for limited screwdriver room.

Latest posts