ProBuckers... WOW. I never really gave them much of a chance, before.

• Thread starter DHart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DHart

Reaction score
If it ain't sold by Epiphone (ie on their website), or sold as a takeoff here in the states (even then I'd question it) they're FAKE . I don't care what part of of Asia either.

Giving people way too much credit, you can copy literally everything exactly, it can be physically and operationally identical and that's fine and dandy. However, the moment you put a brand that isn't yours on it becomes counterfeit.

Every pickup maker out there has a version of the P.A.F. but they don't go around calling them a Gibson P.A.F.
Before anyone decides to be pedantic: Yes, the acronym P.A.F. is also sometimes written as PAF by laypeople leaving the periods out. However, in 1978 the word "PAF" was registered as a trademark by DiMarzio. This registered trademark should not to be confused with original P.A.F. acronym used to describe the original vintage pickups made by Gibson.

Up until recently, the thought of someone buying replacement Epiphone / Squier branded pickups wasn't even something I took seriously. To a degree, I still don't. I gave away my last set to a guy from England for the cost of postage.

I wouldn't spend ≈ $150-$170 for a set of Epi pickups (off the Epi page) when a guy can get a set of DiMarzio's (straight from them) or Seymour Duncan's starting at ≤ $200 for the set (or less if you catch a sale). I paid Epi money for my DiMarzio's buying direct.

Agreed, those vendors have been around for years at this point and sell decent product. Unless things have changed, Artec was making the pickups for the discount houses like GFS etc. and doing a decent job.
I agree. I would not go out of my way to buy Epiphone branded pickups, even though I've found the ProBuckers to be quite nice pickups. (If super low budget was a requirement, buying a take-off set of ProBuckers, from a fellow member would be the way to go.)

If I'm going to purchase pickups, Dimarzio PAF Masters are my "go to" humbuckers - at very sensible prices. I've just experienced how great they sound in many different guitars from Teles to Strats to Les Pauls. They have a full- tonal range, crisp, detailed, bright, and articulate, just as I would like a PAF-style humbucker to be. They are quick and easy to get with double creme bobbins. And around $100. You can buy them all over the place, including Amazon with free two day delivery.

If spending a little bit more... I would go straight to Wolfetones. Boutique quality at very modest pricing, from one of the nicest, most experienced guys in the winding business - who will customize your wind to suit your desire.

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
If I'm going to purchase pickups, Dimarzio PAF Masters are my "go to" humbuckers - at very sensible prices.
I was a "11 pole per coil" Carvin guy, until young Mr. Keisel decided to kill the brand and type. I've got a set of S22J&B in my G400 and AP11's in my Strat.

It seems I've moved on to DiMarzio as well. The Gravity Storms in my Jag are absolutely perfect for the application.

gillman royce

Reaction score
Pick ups selection is a very personal thing: type of music; type of guitar build; amp, tube vs SS; type of speaker(s) tubes etc. Every manufacturer builds to a price point, meaning, generally speaking the pickups, harness & hardware , nut, tuners etc are open to upgrades. You can't change the wood but I've upgraded every Epiphone I've kept as well as those I've moved on.

GenghisBomb

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time and money tone chasing. And I have pretty much found out that I had it all here already. If you have a decent guitar with single coils,another with humbuckers, a decent amp, and a few pedals, you can *pretty much* get any tone you want.
I bought an Epiphone LP Standard 50's that had been modded slightly, with the previous owner putting a new bridge on, and swapping the pups for Tone Emporium 59 PAF's. I actually found the guitar slightly underwhelming at first, until I really started digging in on it.

This guitar has *so* many sweet spots. For high gain, the bridge position with the tone on 5 is *money*. Keeping the bridge tone at 5, and putting the neck pickup's tone and volume on 8, gives the middle position all the fullness you need, without the wooliness the neck position on a LP can sometimes give.

I think all of the current Epiphone line from the IBG up are good out of the box. The secret weapons are those CTS pots. The incredible taper you get, and overall quality is unmatched.

I think most people who jump to replacing pickups likely have seized volume/tone/treble/middle/bass knobs on their guitars and amps!

The whole *magic* of the Gibson layout for me is the independent volume/tone controls. If you aren't using those, you are playing with a tenth of a guitar and wondering why it doesn't do everything you want it to.

BGood

Reaction score
If you have a decent guitar with single coils,another with humbuckers, a decent amp, and a few pedals, you can *pretty much* get any tone you want.

I think most people who jump to replacing pickups likely have seized volume/tone/treble/middle/bass knobs on their guitars and amps!

The whole *magic* of the Gibson layout for me is the independent volume/tone controls. If you aren't using those, you are playing with a tenth of a guitar and wondering why it doesn't do everything you want it to.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
Not sure why, but the Gibson 490s I had in one of my Gibson Les Pauls never really "clicked" with me. I do like Classic '57s and BurstBuckers are good, too.
Why not my buddy took the burst buckers out of his Gibson standard last year and put the epiphone pro buckers in and is still very happy he did that

DHart

Reaction score
Yes, with those four pots (and the coil-split feature) you can obtain quite a wide variety of tones. One could say that would be the only guitar that anyone would really "need". :naughty:

Haha... of course, as we know... having multiple guitars - each set-up in different ways is fun and wonderfully enjoyable! I like each of my Les Pauls to be set-up with different types of pickups. Same goes with my Strats and Teles. It isn't strictly about chasing tone; the variety is a great source of spice in my life.

GenghisBomb

Reaction score
Yes, with those four pots (and the coil-split feature) you can obtain quite a wide variety of tones. One could say that would be the only guitar that anyone would really "need". :naughty:

Haha... of course, as we know... having multiple guitars - each set-up in different ways is fun and wonderfully enjoyable! I like each of my Les Pauls to be set-up with different types of pickups. Same goes with my Strats and Teles. It isn't strictly about chasing tone; the variety is a great source of spice in my life.
I don't think you are far off. My 339 has all of those features, and I did at one point think about selling off all of my other electrics. I recently played a PRS SE Mccarty 594 DC, and it can handle any kind of music also. It has the 4-control layout, with independent coil splits, and a very "Gibson-feel".

I just sound like myself on anything anyway!

DHart

Reaction score
Why not my buddy took the burst buckers out of his Gibson standard last year and put the epiphone pro buckers in and is still very happy he did that
I'd say what your buddy did (replacing Gibson pickups, in a Gibson, with Epiphone pickups) is probably a very rare change.

Most people would probably consider that to be a cheap downgrade, to a Gibson, even if it isn't really a downgrade in tone, to the player's ears.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Pro Buckers for sale! (should you be interested?)

Here in NZ, starting price is about $20.00 US

I'd be perfectly happy to score these for anyone that's interested and post them over the pond.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Most people would probably consider that to be a cheap downgrade, to a Gibson, even if it isn't really a downgrade in tone, to the player's ears.
That's why you don't mention it on corksniffer forums.

Speaking for myself: "If it sounds good, it is good" has gotten me further than "play authentic", "period correct", or "boutique" ever could .

Last edited:

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
I'd say what your buddy did (replacing Gibson pickups, in a Gibson, with Epiphone pickups) is probably a very rare change.

Pro buckers brand new off the Epiphone website will cost $170.00 that's $85 a pickup..most like the Pro buckers much more than the Gibson burst buckers..

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Some times, you may play a certain sound for a particular genre of music.
So you may have to get pickups with higher ohms .
I played a gig last night, a guy asked me what Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups that I was using on my Epiphone LPC, Jackson's and traditional Strat.

I told him Dimarzio, Dragonfire, GFS, Bill Lawrence and Guitar Madness .
He looked them up on his phone.
He could believe how good those GFS, Dragonfire and Guitar Madness pickups were and how inexpensive they are.
To be honest, we are living in an era of the Golden Age of high Quality / low priced gear and accessories.

Epison

Reaction score
I like the probucker bridge, but i find the neck to be way too muddy and dark and tonally way out of balance with the bridge. Even trying a A5 in it didn't help. I think they should have wound it to 7k max. Might have done the trick but not sure. Neck pickus like that should be reserved for jazz boxes. Probably sound great there for that traditional muffed clean jazz tone.

syco

Reaction score
I like the probucker bridge, but i find the neck to be way too muddy and dark and tonally way out of balance with the bridge. Even trying a A5 in it didn't help. I think they should have wound it to 7k max. Might have done the trick but not sure. Neck pickus like that should be reserved for jazz boxes. Probably sound great there for that traditional muffed clean jazz tone.
Depending on which ProBucker ...... 6.75k is the norm for ( PB 2 ) neck ...... 6.25k ( PB 1 ) . Based on mine .... others may differ .

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Seems very low for Probuckers. Isn't it rather 7.25 K neck for a probucker 1 and 7.75 K for a Probucker 2 (neck or bridge) on average?

Latest posts