Recommendation and thoughts on Epi LP Standard Plustop Pro, LP Custom Pro and the 100th Anniversary?

• Thread starter midicity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

midicity

Reaction score
I got to try out the Tribute 60's the neck feels more tiring vs the slim taper, D profile of the other guitars. I like the D profile more.
They had a KOA wood custom pro limited edition. Is it any good? It's missing the scratch guard. What are the options for an aftermarket one?

I think I'm limiting my options to
1) LP Standard plustop pro,
2) 100th Anniversary Custom Pro
3) Custom Pro 2017
4) KOA wood Custom Pro

Some background, I'm a classical guitarist by training and just venturing into electric guitars. I do have an Epi SG Special currently, but would like a better and different guitar like an LP

Thanks for any thoughts

Raiyn

Reaction score
I got to try out the Tribute 60's the neck feels more tiring vs the slim taper, D profile of the other guitars. I like the D profile more.
They had a KOA wood custom pro limited edition. Is it any good? It's missing the scratch guard. What are the options for an aftermarket one?

I think I'm limiting my options to
1) LP Standard plustop pro,
2) 100th Anniversary Custom Pro
3) Custom Pro 2017
4) KOA wood Custom Pro

Some background, I'm a classical guitarist by training and just venturing into electric guitars. I do have an Epi SG Special currently, but would like a better and different guitar like an LP

Thanks for any thoughts
Personally, I'd look at the G400. It'll be familiar to you, but it will blow that Special away.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
As you are a classical guitarist, I would think you would be more attracted to the ES-335/339.

But to the list you put forth and knowing you like the slim D neck, I would say look at the Les Paul plus top.
I have one, it plays very well, tho I wish it had the 59 round neck personally.
I have big hands and I like bigger necks, but that is just me.

MerrChan

Reaction score
I own a couple of the guitars mentioned, and I consider the 100th Anniversary in Natural to be possibly one of the nicest guitars I've seen or held. It's unique.
The LP Standard Bourbon Burst is Also a favorite with its great neck and full sound, this little gem allows me great vibes, not always needing an amp.
37762672435_1fbff3cafa_b.jpg
37762670655_0597aa0623_b.jpg

Which do I choose?
I actually play the burst more, but the 1k is the diamond of the bunch.
it has a 3 piece body visible all around, is fat, bad and has that old Rolls Royce appeal...
A No Go Showboat
37762666435_032dd63f99_b.jpg
37762664685_cf855217cb_b.jpg

she gets played, just doesn't leave the room much.

The Les Paul Inspired by 1955 is
without question
The Most Inspiring Guitar I own. A Beast. Fat n'Mad
Full on Looks, Sound, and Attitude.
If you need adjustment, this is The Ticket
24677805158_6b34464145_k.jpg

I went with some new wires and pots

37723006855_bf67d4c2c8_b.jpg

Whichever you might choose, just be aware that you may never know exactly which one to go with
They are honestly all Very good guitars.
The necks on the Custom and Standard are slimmer but not entirely similar
the '55 is the fatter neck of the bunch

Last edited:

IGRocker

Reaction score
The 100th anniversary Custom is very nice and if you are wild about the Imperial tuners, it's the one. The custom Pro is the same guitar sans 24k gold hardware and fancy tuners. Both are all mahogany body, the custom pro us said to have a maple veneer in the ads, but I don't think so. I recently played both side by side and there is no sonic difference. Both of the guitars weighed in at just under 9 lb.s My choice would be the Standard if I could get the bourbon burst finish. I like the slightly brighter tone for most music.

My custom pro has a veneer under the top. The tiger stripes are visible under the finish and in a spot where my arm wore through the finish

The Convert

Reaction score
Personally, I love my 6 Epis, but I have a problem spending more than $550 or so on an Epiphone. Of the original 3 mentioned, I'd get a PTP, since I know I'd gut all three, so I'd not pay more for just hardware color and ornamental lines. I'd choose a burst I like and pop in some nicer pickups and tuners, etc.

John

Reaction score
I agree Convert. $550 is quite a bit.

John

Reaction score
I am getting ready to put a few bucks in my LP Special ll. I won't spend no where near that much on it. This one is more so for looks than anything else. I am going to use GFS pickups though because they are cheap and I really like them...

Raiyn

Reaction score
Personally, I love my 6 Epis, but I have a problem spending more than $550 or so on an Epiphone. Of the original 3 mentioned, I'd get a PTP, since I know I'd gut all three, so I'd not pay more for just hardware color and ornamental lines. I'd choose a burst I like and pop in some nicer pickups and tuners, etc.
I'm the same way.

John

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome in midicity.........

midicity

Reaction score
looks great....how does it sound?
Considering I'm a newbie to electric guitars, this sounds and plays great. Easier to play than some other Epi LP on sale. I've sent this in for setup by a Luthier. It started to have some buzz on the 6th String G note after I corrected for intonation. Probably get it back next week.

John

Reaction score
If a Luthier is taking care of it for you then you will love it......again congrats.....

Jeffytune

Reaction score
Considering I'm a newbie to electric guitars, this sounds and plays great. Easier to play than some other Epi LP on sale. I've sent this in for setup by a Luthier. It started to have some buzz on the 6th String G note after I corrected for intonation. Probably get it back next week.

Well it sounds like you have a winner.

Latest posts