"Refurbished" Epiphone ???

• Thread starter DeanoMagic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeanoMagic

Reaction score
G’day everyone.

I am sorry that my first post is a problem. I will remain factual. Please do the same. The seller has been OK, but something is just not sitting right with me, so I am just wanting to confirm or deny some facts, not bash the seller.

I live in Brisbane Queensland AU and recently bought an Epiphone Explorer from the USA on ebay. It arrived with several undisclosed defects and I am also trying to verify some claims made in the add and after I received it. I’ll number them for convenience.

1. The seller claims that it has been to a refurbisher because the stamp on the head stock says “Two Thousand and Fifteen” in words and “2016” in numbers and that this is the only flaw. Otherwise it is “mint, as new condition”. I have now seen two reviews on line where the guitars have the same thing. I now think that this is the case with all of them and that this is not a real reason to send the guitar to a refurbisher. Can anyone tell me something about this?

2. There is quite a deep ding in the back of the head stock between the high E tuner and the end of it. I asked the seller if this is a ding. He said no, it’s a stamp to say that it has been to a refurbisher. I can tell you now I have it that this is a ding, an excavation is what it looks like. It is thumb nail sized and one quarter to one third the width of the wood deep. Can anyone tell me if this means it’s been to a refurbisher or not?

3. There is a new serial number on the headstock. I am told that this is a normal part of refurbishment and that it covers the original serial number. I can’t see an original serial number there on other examples in reviews on line. It sits between the apparently dodgy date stamp and the most unfortunate dingage on the rear of the head.
There are scratches and dings in two of the frets that I would say have to be lifted out due to their depth and extensive cracking of clear coat (at least) beside the nut. I get the impression this occurred when the head stack was “stamped” or let’s be honest, bashed with what ever it was bashed with for what ever reason, or that the nut was moved during QA, if in fact the QA actually happened. The nut seems to overlap next to the cracks and underlap on the other side, like someone has pulled the adjuster out and “adjusted” it just a wee bit, so this may have caused the cracks. Some flaking of clear coat here and there and I’m a teeny weeny bit let down by it all.

Sorry that is so much. Please help with 1, 2 and 3 as you can and thanks in advance for that. I have written to Epiphone, but have not heard back. I understand that they would not want to. That’s cool. Just mentioning it to save you from suggesting I write to them.

Cheers,

Dean

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Hello Dean, can you post some pics of the guitar?
Refurbished models do have a new serial number, that as far as I know, cannot be tracked, I have no clue about the rest though. The ding you describe could be a 2nd marking.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

Refurbished models have the original serial number removed and a... let's call it a refurbished serial number added. The word "USED" is stamped into the back of the headstock, but it's hard to see. IN fact, I didn't notice it for a couple of weeks after I bought my refurbished Tele.

Picture of the damage would help.

OCpNUum.jpg

Cam

Reaction score
My refurb Jay Jay French signature has the yellow serial number sticker (original was still underneath though). Also had the USED stamp. Had a few small finish flaws from I assume the factory. I'd recommend sending detailed photos to Gibson/Epiphone. I was able to get mine verified with confidence with this process.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
The seller claims that it has been to a refurbisher because the stamp on the head stock says “Two Thousand and Fifteen” in words and “2016” in numbers and that this is the only flaw.

This can't be the reason for the 'Refurb' label, there are hundreds or thousands out with this 'misprint'

and

Welcome here Dean :wave:

DeanoMagic

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies. They answer all of my questions. Cheers for the welcome.

I have attached a photo as requested. It's a capture of a photo because the photo file was too large. I'll save you all from telling me I overstated the depth of the "excavation". No worse than the others, but a little unnecessary and ugly. My serial number starts with 311 as yours all do.

I'm convinced that it has been to the refurbisher, but not for the stated reason. As I said earlier, it has a few issues and this is not a whinge. Depending on how it all resolves I may post again about those problems and how thy were repaired, if I end up having those done.

I have another question come to mind. Is it possible to inquire why it went there if I have the new serial number?

Capture.JPG

DeanoMagic

Reaction score
Just an afterthought before I go to bed. I think the seller has been BSed by someone else as his rep is amazing. Just a bit lazy because his mate hadn't sent him anything nasty before, or something like that. Way it goes. I'll probably become a true Epiphile after it's all over.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
The depression on your is consistent with where "USED" is stamped. Your A and D tuners look a bit crooked.

I don;t really follow what you've written about the frets, nut, and crack in the clear coat. Pics would help too.

Here's a better photo of mine.

NcUYBiB.jpg

If you upload your pics to Imgur or another host, you can link to them using the "image" icon next to the smiley. Of you could upload them to your media gallery and use teh camera icon to link to them.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
I believe the guitar is a 2nd or refurbished model alright.
if those were dings the finish would crack-break in that spot since they are huge.
I suppose that the wood was like that from the factory, so if there is nothing else wrong with the guitar, I say it's fine.

I don't know how epi makes their necks, the 3 epi 7strings I sent back, had similar but smaller CNC toolmarks on the body, and always in similar place (behind the neck pup corners)

Cam

Reaction score
My used stamp is really faint compared to others, like barely even noticeable (promise it is there)

24740743_2017312845182659_1874724702_n.jpg

Latest posts