replacement machine heads

• Thread starter jjpartan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jjpartan

Reaction score
I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul SL recently and it is my first guitar so I’m learning a lot about them and still have a lot to learn. One thing I keep hearing about the SL is that they don’t have great machine heads, and I can already basically agree with that with my limited guitar knowledge right now. I’m looking to put on better strings and machine heads at the same time. What would be some good upgraded machine heads for my SL? Preferably ones that would just fit out of the box without having to increase the peg hole size or make different screw holes to attach them, but if I have to do that it’s not a big deal. I prefer chrome and looking to spend roughly $50 or less. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you!

Reaction score
I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul SL recently and it is my first guitar so I’m learning a lot about them and still have a lot to learn. One thing I keep hearing about the SL is that they don’t have great machine heads, and I can already basically agree with that with my limited guitar knowledge right now. I’m looking to put on better strings and machine heads at the same time. What would be some good upgraded machine heads for my SL? Preferably ones that would just fit out of the box without having to increase the peg hole size or make different screw holes to attach them, but if I have to do that it’s not a big deal. I prefer chrome and looking to spend roughly $50 or less. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you!
Hi Buddy, Welcome to the forum I did a quick check on the web and spotted this YouTube clip on SL tuner swap.

Are you actually having tuning issues which you are sure is down to the tuners.
Have you put new strings on the guitar ?, have you stretched them in?
I would probably be sure of this before changing tuners 1st maybe.
Hope this helps
CSC

Juke Box

Reaction score
Hi Buddy, Welcome to the forum I did a quick check on the web and spotted this YouTube clip on SL tuner swap.

Are you actually having tuning issues which you are sure is down to the tuners.
Have you put new strings on the guitar ?, have you stretched them in?
I would probably be sure of this before changing tuners 1st maybe.
Hope this helps
CSC

Why didn't this guy just use a 10mm drill bit?

Reaction score
Why didn't this guy just use a 10mm drill bit?
If he was doing the job properly he would start with a smaller diameter then work up to the final diameter. I had visions of the whole guitar spinning round while he drilled it out, he was also lucky he didnt chip the lacquer finish around the holes.

Reaction score
In fairness, the tuners on the SL are pretty dodgy. They're bottom tier for Epi, so I can understand the desire for an upgrade to something without the slop.
Hi, yes having seen more information I totally agree, basically these tuners look just one up from sticking the end of the string with bubble gum to the headstock :-)

Latest posts