RIP Chuck Berry

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Legendary musician Chuck Berry has died, police confirm. He was 90.

The St. Charles County Police Department in Missouri confirmed on Facebook that they responded to a medical emergency on Saturday afternoon where they found an unresponsive man.

“St. Charles County police responded to a medical emergency on Buckner Road at approximately 12:40 p.m. today (Saturday, March 18),” the police department said in a statement. “Inside the home, first responders observed an unresponsive man and immediately administered lifesaving techniques. Unfortunately, the 90-year-old man could not be revived and was pronounced deceased at 1:26 p.m.

“The St. Charles County Police Department sadly confirms the death of Charles Edward Anderson Berry Sr., better known as legendary musician Chuck Berry.”

“The family requests privacy during this time of bereavement.”

chuck-berry.jpg

http://people.com/music/chuck-berry-dead/

Another 'Great One' left the stage on earth forever

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
RIP Chuck

Guess all our heroes are now "of a certain age" - last year was just the start IMHO, I expect we'll lose more iconic players & musicians in general as the 'great & good' get older :frown:

Sad times....

Digger

Reaction score
Chuck bought us so much that right at the moment I feel gutted to hear he has passed!

He was one of the truly great talents in my time.

Rest in peace Cobber you were one of the best!

Supersonic

Reaction score
As John Lennon once put it, "If you tried to give rock 'n' roll another name, you might have called it 'Chuck Berry.' "

MarkB

Reaction score
Chuck Berry was without doubt one of the greatest and most influential musicians ever - I guess that's what we should remember, but formal honours are going to be difficult! As Daniel Durchholz wrote "Berry is a textbook case of why it’s important to love the art but not necessarily the artist."!

Caddy

Reaction score
The first time we saw him on American Bandstand in the late 50's we were just blown away. No one had ever played guitar that way before or had that kind of showmanship.

A great player, songwriter and performer. He set the stage for all that followed. How many guitar players did he influence? (Probably all that followed him). Always has been and always will be my favorite.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Great innovator and song stylist. Huge influence on three generations now, me included. Very hard to work with and very cheap with his sidemen. In the end, the songs are what he'll be remembered for and good on him.

Keefoman

Reaction score
A great one has passed. He shaped the guitar based rock 'n' roll!

Keefoman

Reaction score
Shaped it? Nay, he made it guitar-based! At the beginning it was assumed that the sax would be the lead instrument in rock'n'roll; Chuck put an end to that nonsense forthwith!
Impossible to know of course, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly and certainly most of the Blues/R&B artist were guitar driven in many ways, but Chuck of course really made it happen, and without him, the Rock 'n' roll scene probably would have been different.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Impossible to know of course, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly and certainly most of the Blues/R&B artist were guitar driven in many ways, but Chuck of course really made it happen, and without him, the Rock 'n' roll scene probably would have been different.

Elvis was vocal-driven; Buddy & Eddie came after Chuck.

Keefoman

Reaction score
Elvis was vocal-driven; Buddy & Eddie came after Chuck.
Scotty Moore.... I would say Buddy and Eddie were quite contemporary to Chuck, even though not THAT guitar driven, so on that I agree. Rock 'n' roll would probably still have happened, but certainly not in the form it did.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Scotty Moore.... I would say Buddy and Eddie were quite contemporary to Chuck, even though not THAT guitar driven, so on that I agree. Rock 'n' roll would probably still have happened, but certainly not in the form it did.

"Mabellene" - 1955
"That'll Be The day" - 1957
In the pop-music world of the '50s, that's a lifetime.
But yeah, upon refreshing my memory, Eddie was contemporary with Chuck - but tell any picker "Play Chuck" and you'll probably get something. Say "Play Eddie Cochran" and you might "Summertime Blues", but it'll probably be filtered through the Who, Blue Cheer, and who knows who else.
Scotty was a freakin' gawd - but he was definitely back seat to E; Chuck's guitar was front & center.

Latest posts