SG Special vs G-310

liquidsmoke

Reaction score
False.
You can adjust balance exactly how you like it, by tweaking pickup heights.

Oh yeah, makes sense. I've done this for tone but have never wanted to use both pups together on a two knob guitar until now. Will try.

liquidsmoke

Reaction score
Howdy Welcome Liquid Smoke.........

I have a 310 presently----have had specials....G-400's Gibson SG's and all sorts of other crap--- and i LOVE my 310

Is your 310 neck heavy? This is the main reason I've never held onto a 400 for long.

BGood

Reaction score
It would surprise me that the 310 be neck heavy. It's the SG that has the neck go in the deepest into the body, because of the bolt on.

Reactions: RTH

liquidsmoke

Reaction score
It would surprise me that the 310 be neck heavy. It's the SG that has the neck go in the deepest into the body, because of the bolt on.

It would surprise me as well although if the neck is thick enough it could be possible.

I've always wondered if Gibson ever made an SG with this neck further into the body design. The 24 fret models have the look but the necks are otherwise just as 'far out'.

BGood

Reaction score
The 310 and the Special both are shorter, more compact guiitars. To see it, just look at the bridge placement compared to all the other models. One reason why so many like the 310.

liquidsmoke

Reaction score
The 310 and the Special both are shorter, more compact guiitars. To see it, just look at the bridge placement compared to all the other models. One reason why so many like the 310.

Definitely. Not to mention balanced and light. Many guitars feel almost like baritones in comparison to my special.

liquidsmoke

Reaction score
Decided to go with my SG Special. At the shop now getting the frets polished, a Duncan Custom bridge pup installed, and a setup in C# standard. If it doesn't do the job it will be my backup guitar and I'll try to find a '60s neck Gibson SG Standard that isn't neck heavy.

Regarding the only 2 knobs issue, I'll just adjust the bridge tone knob when I want a thicker bassy sound.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
You may wanna experiment with different sized tone caps as well. A 0.033uF or 0.047uF cap may let you roll off more treble on the bridge. It's all personal taste.

BGood

Reaction score
NOPE not a bit......and I think in part that is due to the location of the strap button.View attachment 2022
I'd say most of it is due to the neck going deeper into the body, close to an inch, just like the Special. The width of the tenon plastic guard, between the neck and the pickup on regular SGs. So you end up with less neck sticking out.

liquidsmoke

Reaction score
Got the SG Special back with my Duncan Custom in the bridge position. I think I need something with less treble bite. May put the Custom in the Epi Les Paul Studio I got today for cheap used and get something more bassy for the SG. It may be that only another mahogany Scroll or a real Les Paul will do but for now I'll keep trying with these less expensive guitars.

Latest posts