Sg vibrola burrs

• Thread starter Nebular89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nebular89

Reaction score
I’ve had my 61 standard vibrola just over a week and I’ve broken the high E and B string on 2 different sets. It’s very rare for me to break strings, especially at the ball.
I’ve looked at the vibrola on the high E today and I can see some tooling marks/burrs.

Would this have happened during manufacture or is this a thing that happens over time with vibrolas?
If it’s a one off I’ll take it to my guitar guy and get him to smooth them all off. Otherwise if it’s something that needs to be maintained then I’ll buy some files and give it touch ups each string change

3bolt79

Reaction score
I can’t tell anything by the picture. Are you using regular Ernie Ball strings by chance? If not, what strings are you using.

I have a 1985 Aria Pro II with a Kahler trem. That thing eats EB strings on the high E within the first few minutes of play.

I’ve had problems with the regular EB at the ball end with other guitars as well. You might try strings like EB Paradigm that are reinforced at the ball end, or GHS reinforced. Gibson also makes a reinforced string set as well.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
It pays to have a few tools around to do some periodic maintenance. For minor issues with burrs or rough spots I find emery cloth or paper works pretty well. If it's more severe you may need to file something down to begin with then finish with emery cloth or paper. Good luck.

WoundUp

Reaction score
I can’t tell anything by the picture. Are you using regular Ernie Ball strings by chance? If not, what strings are you using.

I have a 1985 Aria Pro II with a Kahler trem. That thing eats EB strings on the high E within the first few minutes of play.

I’ve had problems with the regular EB at the ball end with other guitars as well. You might try strings like EB Paradigm that are reinforced at the ball end, or GHS reinforced. Gibson also makes a reinforced string set as well.

You can always reinforce the ends of regular strings with solder, as well. I'm pretty sure that's what the string companies do.

And I'd be wrong. I forgot that at least some use another wind of wire to reinforce them, like Ernie Ball.

Nebular89

Reaction score

It is a crap photo.
I have broken a string on both a regular set and a reinforced set.

I took it to a guitar guy and he said it’s the chrome plating coupled with tooling marks and a 90 degree edge that’s been left. He’s going to smooth it off and round the edge a little.

Nebular89

Reaction score
It pays to have a few tools around to do some periodic maintenance. For minor issues with burrs or rough spots I find emery cloth or paper works pretty well. If it's more severe you may need to file something down to begin with then finish with emery cloth or paper. Good luck.
Yea I’m happy to do minor maintenance stuff but I get wary of things like filing where you can remove too much.
The guitar tech I use had a look and said the edge that the string touches was left with too much of a sharp angle. Also apparently chrome plating is hard but it’s thin so where the chrome has worn it’s left the burrs. He’s going to smooth it off and round the edge that the string touches.

J Norton

Reaction score
Yea, I see the marks. Smooth smooth smooth. Smooth operator
SMALL file then fine grit paper. Inline with the string
Maybe have a Slight curve on the edge. Keep an eye on it over time.

MrBlackstone93

Reaction score
I’ve had my 61 standard vibrola just over a week and I’ve broken the high E and B string on 2 different sets. It’s very rare for me to break strings, especially at the ball.
I’ve looked at the vibrola on the high E today and I can see some tooling marks/burrs.

Would this have happened during manufacture or is this a thing that happens over time with vibrolas?
If it’s a one off I’ll take it to my guitar guy and get him to smooth them all off. Otherwise if it’s something that needs to be maintained then I’ll buy some files and give it touch ups each string change
With a roller bridge you shouldn't be having bur issues , my guss would be the strings your using are defective , I was in a pinch one time while on tour playing at an event in a one horse town that only had one music shop and all they had were EB strings , and the 3rd and 5th string kept breaking . Now if your going to sand the bridge use at least 900 grade wet sand paper .

Nebular89

Reaction score
With a roller bridge you shouldn't be having bur issues , my guss would be the strings your using are defective , I was in a pinch one time while on tour playing at an event in a one horse town that only had one music shop and all they had were EB strings , and the 3rd and 5th string kept breaking . Now if your going to sand the bridge use at least 900 grade wet sand paper .
It’s not a roller bridge. The strings aren’t breaking at the bridge either. It’s right at the ball end where the string makes contact with the vibrola, essentially the stop bar. The burrs caused by the chrome are an issue but also is the right angle on the vibrola that the strings rest on. It’s work hardening the strings.

Nebular89

Reaction score
Got the guitar back from the guitar tech a week ago. He’s chamfered the edge a bit and taken off some of the chrome. Seemed fine for a week but it’s happened again, just broke the high E right at the ball. Just ordered a set of fender bullet strings to see if that helps. If not I’ll go back up to 10’s, I use 9’s mainly. If that doesn’t work then I’m not sure what I’ll do. Either I’ll have to have buy Rotosound strings and save the extra high E or ….I’m not sure. A pack of strings a week is a bit much. Unfortunately I’ve made modifications to the guitar so I can’t return it, not that I want to, I love it. I do have another guy I also use I can ask to have a look. I want the vibrola on, to me SG’s look way better with them on

Nebular89

Reaction score
Just found a pack of Ernie balls called RPS. They wrap brass round the windings of each string, might help

Latest posts