Sheraton II Pro pickups at angle????

• Thread starter Lindell Baker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lindell Baker

Reaction score
North of Rolla MO, edge of Missouri Ozarks.
My new Sheraton II Pro arrived today. During initial inspection/set-up I noticed both neck and bridge pick-ups were at a forward tilting angle (higher toward bridge, lower toward headstock). I figured they would/should be pretty much parallel with strings. Is it normal for them to be at a forward angle and if so where do you measure for adjusting pick-up height? Do you measure from the slot head screws on the pick-ups? I've read to measure from the body but that would vary due to angle.

51247962009_ee73ffe3a0_m.jpg
51246487872_e6277f2e0e_m.jpg

Pick on left shows neck pu and right shows bridge pu.

Zero

Reaction score
Hello. Looks like Les Paul style angled rings. I think in this case, I’d adjust the pick ups and/or pole pieces by ear to get to that sweet spot. Or find a set of non-angled rings?

Lindell Baker

Reaction score
North of Rolla MO, edge of Missouri Ozarks.
Hello. Looks like Les Paul.style angled rings. I think in this case, I’d adjust the pick ups and/or pole pieces by ear to get to that sweet spot. Or find a set of non-angled rings?

Im a beginner (practicing daily for about a year) and frankly don't know enough at this point to be able to "get to that sweet spot", not when it comes to adjusting pu height anyway. Im a pick-up adjustment virgin. First time I've messed with adjusting them. Trying to do my own setup on a new guitar. As a beginner and given my skill level figure my setup just needs to be fairly close. Think I got the truss adjustment/relief and action pretty close. Still working on intonation and obviously pick-up height. May take it to a luthier after giving it my best shot to get some feedback/critique on my attempt at a dyi setup. Looking at this as a leaning experience.

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Start by lowering your bridge by equal turns each side re-tuning as needed until they buzz at fret 17. then raise just enough to stop the buzzing. Now adjust your f relief so that all notes from fret to 17 play cleanly. set your intonation and you're done.

Stringbuzz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here.
Congrats Lindell, I've just got a new Sheraton II pro too and the pickups have the same sort of angle to them. That angle is not really adjustable but I don't think it's a big deal and wouldn't worry about it. The height adjustment is more important though and can change the way the guitar sounds. From some info on the forums I've read that a good starting point is as follows (distance between pickup pole and under the string):
pickup height: E= 1/8" = 3.2mm ; e= 1/16" = 1.6mm
Mine had a basic setup in the shop, and the pickups were tilted drastically towards the bass (thicker strings). I adjusted them to the above mentioned height and the guitar sounds much better.
As Biddlin pointed out, you should ideally have the the action setup properly first and then adjust the pickup height. But I've read you've already done that....

Last edited:

Skyler Meredith

Reaction score
My epiphone dot From the '90s has the angled pick up rings as well. Seriously doesn't make difference. I would start with factory measurements that string buzz provided and then turn the pickup screws a quarter or half turn at a time and then listen to see what effect the height difference has in in the amplifier. You may like it exactly at factory settings, and you're not going to break anything and you can always reset it to the factory with a measuring device.

Just get it to a point where it sounds good and forget it for the most part, it's way too easy to tinker with gear rather than practice. Have fun and I hope you enjoy playing the guitar.

Skyler

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
My new Sheraton II Pro arrived today. During initial inspection/set-up I noticed both neck and bridge pick-ups were at a forward tilting angle (higher toward bridge, lower toward headstock). I figured they would/should be pretty much parallel with strings. Is it normal for them to be at a forward angle and if so where do you measure for adjusting pick-up height? Do you measure from the slot head screws on the pick-ups? I've read to measure from the body but that would vary due to angle.

51247962009_ee73ffe3a0_m.jpg
51246487872_e6277f2e0e_m.jpg

Pick on left shows neck pu and right shows bridge pu.

That is the correct setting. If you look at the pickup ring around the neck pickup its contour follows the pu’s contour.

Welcome aboard Lindell, its good to have you! :)

Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here.
Congrats Lindell, I've just got a new Sheraton II pro too and the pickups have the same sort of angle to them. That angle is not really adjustable but I don't think it's a big deal and wouldn't worry about it. The height adjustment is more important though and can change the way the guitar sounds. From some info on the forums I've read that a good starting point is as follows (distance between pickup pole and under the string):
pickup height: E= 1/8" = 3.2mm ; e= 1/16" = 1.6mm
Mine had a basic setup in the shop, and the pickups were tilted drastically towards the bass (thicker strings). I adjusted them to the above mentioned height and the guitar sounds much better.
As Biddlin pointed out, you should ideally have the the action setup properly first and then adjust the pickup height. But I've read you've already done that....

Welcome aboard Stringbuzz! :)

Pat

Colin stoddart

Reaction score
Im a beginner (practicing daily for about a year) and frankly don't know enough at this point to be able to "get to that sweet spot", not when it comes to adjusting pu height anyway. Im a pick-up adjustment virgin. First time I've messed with adjusting them. Trying to do my own setup on a new guitar. As a beginner and given my skill level figure my setup just needs to be fairly close. Think I got the truss adjustment/relief and action pretty close. Still working on intonation and obviously pick-up height. May take it to a luthier after giving it my best shot to get some feedback/critique on my attempt at a dyi setup. Looking at this as a leaning experience.
I had same problem when I bought my 339. On the bridge pick up I removed ring and sanded until I managed to get pick up almost parallel. There is a slight difference between open and 22 fret. On the neck I just turned the ring around and the pick up became almost parallel, but again with a little sanding of the high side of the ring. I also adjusted truss rod to give about .005” relief, this gives me 1.5mm at 17th fret on low E slightly less on high e. I also lifted the low side of stopbar to give same angle of strings over bridge. Plays well. As for pickup height no idea, I just learning at home, no amp!

Space1999

Reaction score
I had same problem when I bought my 339. On the bridge pick up I removed ring and sanded until I managed to get pick up almost parallel. There is a slight difference between open and 22 fret. On the neck I just turned the ring around and the pick up became almost parallel, but again with a little sanding of the high side of the ring. I also adjusted truss rod to give about .005” relief, this gives me 1.5mm at 17th fret on low E slightly less on high e. I also lifted the low side of stopbar to give same angle of strings over bridge. Plays well. As for pickup height no idea, I just learning at home, no amp!

And that is how you learn to make your guitar yours :)
Good on you Colin for just taking a chance, right or wrong.

Most guys are afraid to touch anything on their guitars and so they never learn how to set them up and do all of their own guitar work themselves.

Pat

Latest posts