Show your Other Guitars

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I've seen that. I paid $1800 for it 4 or 5 years ago and thought it was a bit spendy, but it's a birth year guitar that I had to have. may be worth a few hundred more in today's doll hairs.
*cough* a few hundre...

You ain't looked at prices lately.

For giggles I went looking at my birth year Gibby's on Reverb. Yeah, Norlins are getting up there.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Dayuumm I read your post and was curious what the prices were for my birth year (also Norlin era) .... at least, or in some cases almost double, the price of some Custom shop models for a standard. I'll just stick with buying new from the factory or discounted 2nd hand (i.e. non-vintage).

imnotcreative

Reaction score
I'd never buy a Babicz. Too much snake oil, and the Muppets that buy them are too cultish in their devotion. Also the giant laser etched branding on the face of the guitar is a giant turn off. The only free ad-space on my axes is on their headstocks and currently occupied.

I'm going to be honest though, I do love the look of the ABM roller bridge.

You can see how sleek it is when compared to the TonePros

Having said that, it's hard to justify the price difference with the ABM being about twice the cost - especially for the sub $1000 rigs I like to mess with.

I don't really know much about Babicz, just know the name and that they are way too expensive to give them a try.
The ABM does look nice and probably best suited for expensive guitars with that price.
I paid less for my BFG than all my Epiphones (G-400 after inflation correction was more expensive) therefor i didn't feel like paying too much for a bridge. It is kind of funny/sad that Gibson used (maybe still does) some of the cheapest bridges to go on their expensive guitars. The replacement Gotoh i got for my G-400 was more expensive at €35 compared to the €32 for the Grover. I was able to bend back the original bridge to being straight (it was bend just the slightest) and did some filing to get the proper radius on the original bridge so i put that back on there and it seems to hold up with 9-42 strings and the tailpiece raised a little. The Gotoh is now in the toolbox as a replacement for when it's truly needed.

Steve Pinder

Reaction score
thanks! she's an old norlin, but what an example.

Had to look Norlin up on Google (other search engines are available).

l thought it might have been slang for ‘Made in New Orleans.’ I say this only because my friend in Boston, MA sent me a message recently saying he was taking a trip to ‘Nahlens’ which I thought may have been a former Dutch colony in the Caribbean before he set me straight.

Sorry if this causes any offence to the good citizens of New Orleans or the Caribbean- it is certainly not intended 🙂

phrance

Reaction score
My new guitar: the Gretsch G2655 Streamliner™ Center Block Jr. Double-Cut with V-Stoptail

For those who don't know it, it's a semi-hollowbody with about the same dimensions as my Epi Les Paul 60s. Cool guitar and nicely finished.

Attachments

• DSC_6464_00001.jpg
    DSC_6464_00001.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_6475_00001.jpg
    DSC_6475_00001.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_6479_00001.jpg
    DSC_6479_00001.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 4

Old Woody

Reaction score
Nice Color! I've heard the pickups are good for heavy tones which is ok with me if I want chime I'll play my Strat.

mgenet

Reaction score
Just got this yesterday. Trying to decide what I think and fell about it.
A $400 semi-hollow guitar. Very well made for the money, in Indonesia.

Anybody else got an opinion on this beast?

1658704688932.jpeg
Squier 2021 Classic Vibe Starcaster. Unbound neck but the F-holes and body are bound. 2 Fender HBs. Weighs 7 lbs. No case.

Only blem is the headstock black paint has a boo boo near the top (obvious). No biggie to me.

I would recommend it, definitely, as a great beginners guitar for the money. The set up is very nice out of box.
The other colors are Walnut and a 3-Color Sunburst.

What I would switch out would be the black knobs for amber skirted knobs. Let the black accents only be the headstock
and the pick guard. Also switch out the plastic "bone" nut; which seems unusually thin to me, 1/8" wide.

If I keep it.

Old Woody

Reaction score

View attachment 18281
Squier 2021 Classic Vibe Starcaster. Unbound neck but the F-holes and body are bound. 2 Fender HBs. Weighs 7 lbs. No case.

Only blem is the headstock black paint has a boo boo near the top (obvious). No biggie to me.

I would recommend it, definitely, as a great beginners guitar for the money. The set up is very nice out of box.

What I would switch out would be the black knobs for amber skirted knobs. Let the black accents only be the headstock
and the pick guard. Also switch out the plastic "bone" nut; which seems unusually thin to me, 1/8" wide.

If I keep it.
Seeing that two humbucker beauty spurs my recent lust for the new Epi BB King model in red although there are cheaper semi - hollows the BB comes with no f-holes and a backplate which will allow for pickup and wiring changes. Enjoy your new guitar I've never played a semi -hollow with a maple fingerboard,. How's it feel?

Raiyn

Reaction score

View attachment 18281

If I keep it.
I want a Starcaster, I've got a build just itching to go.

The only real issue I have is finding a decent (read: non-vinyl/ wood "economy" model) case with TSA latches. Preferably an SKB.

mgenet

Reaction score
I think it would look much better without the big black plastic blob that hides the f hole.
I have thought of that...I don't care about "holes". So yeah, bare more of that natural body...

Seeing that two humbucker beauty spurs my recent lust for the new Epi BB King model in red although there are cheaper semi - hollows the BB comes with no f-holes and a backplate which will allow for pickup and wiring changes. Enjoy your new guitar I've never played a semi -hollow with a maple fingerboard,. How's it feel?
I thought in my head ( I do that sometimes) that adding about $200 more bucks and I'd get a damn nice
Epi or Gretsch.

Good luck witth the Epi BB King.

I want a Starcaster, I've got a build just itching to go.

The only real issue I have is finding a decent (read: non-vinyl/ wood "economy" model) case with TSA latches. Preferably an SKB.
I did some research prior to buying and most people said a 335-style case will work.
I have a couple "335" cases (not gibbies) and need to try them out. See how they
fit.

I found an original Starcaster case on Reverb and it was priced more than the damn guitar. Good bye to that seller.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I did some research prior to buying and most people said a 335-style case will work.
I have a couple "335" cases (not gibbies) and need to try them out. See how they
fit.

I found an original Starcaster case on Reverb and it was priced more than the damn guitar. Good bye to that seller.
Yeah, I was serious about that Starcaster. I actually texted my Sweetwater rep and had him / his team try out a CV in an SKB-35. No dice.

Main reason I like SKB TSA cases is that they don't attract the cats to use them as scratching posts like tweed-y or Tolex cases. I also like to put stickers on my cases, but that's a me thing.

They did say that the Gator economy cases work - they even list them as a certified fit.

Guess that Revstar might be back on the menu....

mgenet

Reaction score
Hole on the lower side you won't see. You could leave the top screw in or fill the hole.
Yeah, good idea. i usually just leave the guard on when stock. With this one, once that is done...pickguard off and amber skirt knobs,
that damn guitar will have some mojo rising.

Hmmm, maybe tune the Starcaster to an open E. I have a black Gibbie Studio (P-90s) tuned to Open D. May be time to get my
slides out and start sliding...yeah that's it...try out the tonze for size.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
20220724_005440.jpg

This guitar brings out the Blues guy in me .... the Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower that usually haunts you as soon as the signal hit the amp. It has Sperzel locking tuners, neck / middle has Fender Custom Shop 69's, a Schaller S6 13.o6k ohms pickup and a Wilkinson tremolo.

20220719_150412.jpg
I lent this out to a friend of mine and I got it back a few days ago.
It has Sperzel locking tuners, neck / middle has Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials, a Dragonfire Duo Rail ( 11.98k ohms ) and a Wilkinson Tremolo . The body is an Alder Stewart MacDonald body with Squier Affinity neck
It has the Classic SRV, Eric Johnson, 1970'S Jeff Beck sound .

20220625_024624.jpg

The guys had me rehashing some UFO / Michael Schenker and Megadeth, this guitar has Schaller Active pickups ( not as compressed as EMG's ), a Wilkinson roller bridge and a Schaller tailpiece with fine tuners, so I can fine tune while playing and not have go to headstock for tuning .

Last edited:

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score

View attachment 18281

If I keep it.
A guitar like that is great for any player !
The way ( especially ) Epiphone , Squier and Harley Benton is going, you don't need to upgrade much, unless you have a need for special parts to your liking .

mgenet

Reaction score
Yeah, I was serious about that Starcaster. I actually texted my Sweetwater rep and had him / his team try out a CV in an SKB-35. No dice.

Main reason I like SKB TSA cases is that they don't attract the cats to use them as scratching posts like tweed-y or Tolex cases. I also like to put stickers on my cases, but that's a me thing.

They did say that the Gator economy cases work - they even list them as a certified fit.

Guess that Revstar might be back on the menu....
I have a few 335 guitar cases. Tried the Squier Starcaster in each and there is too much room,
Not comfortable with the 335 cases at all. The Starcaster would move around too much.

Latest posts