Slash Anaconda Burst Epi / Gibby comparison video.

• Thread starter CompanyGrip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CompanyGrip

Reaction score
Hi again everyone. I was dissappointed when Gibson stopped making the Slash Standard in Anaconda Burst as I think it’s one of the coolest finishes around. However, Epiphone is still making it!

So, I got my hands on those two guitars and gave them a little comparison video just to see how they stacked against each other. Feel free to check it out if you are curious. I know I was.

Thanks!
Slash Anaconda Burst LP Standard comparison video

Equalphone

Reaction score
Nice thorough review. I thought the Epi sounded a little thinner and brighter; The Gibson a little warmer and thicker. In general... and I'm sure it varies in the room vs. compressed on Youtube.

Just an FYI - Epi's tops, whenever I've checked, have more than a "paper thin" veneer. It's more like 1/16"+. Some have slightly thicker tops. That's fairly typical for veneers through the ages even on furniture. You can check by pulling a pickup.

There are some other import manufacturers who truly have paper thin or close to that. 1/32" or less.

CompanyGrip

Reaction score
Nice thorough review. I thought the Epi sounded a little thinner and brighter; The Gibson a little warmer and thicker. In general... and I'm sure it varies in the room vs. compressed on Youtube.

Just an FYI - Epi's tops, whenever I've checked, have more than a "paper thin" veneer. It's more like 1/16"+. Some have slightly thicker tops. That's fairly typical for veneers through the ages even on furniture. You can check by pulling a pickup.

There are some other import manufacturers who truly have paper thin or close to that. 1/32" or less.
Hey! Thanks for checking out the video! You know, it really seems to vary over the years I’ve found. I did the SG Modern review a while back and it was super thin, the veneer. Barely discernible in the pickup cavity.

Here’s a good shot of an LP, where it’s a bit thicker, but more like post-card thickness. There seems to be some variance between body styles and years produced I’ve noticed.

I’m just glad it’s still maple underneath! I had this hamer guitar I loved probably 25 years ago, and I dropped it just once, the veneer cracked, and it was compressed sh*tboard underneath.

I think that was the day I started to really pay attention to woods on guitar bodies.

Anyway! Glad you liked the video!

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Hi again everyone. I was dissappointed when Gibson stopped making the Slash Standard in Anaconda Burst as I think it’s one of the coolest finishes around. However, Epiphone is still making it!

So, I got my hands on those two guitars and gave them a little comparison video just to see how they stacked against each other. Feel free to check it out if you are curious. I know I was.

Thanks!
Slash Anaconda Burst LP Standard comparison video
Nicely done demo. :cheers:

Gibby seems to make certain that the Epiphone version is visually just a little bit less attractive which I can only assume is intentional on their part. Once I closed my eyes and used only my ears to judge I found so little difference between them tonally I would never spend more for the Gibson on that basis alone. I didn't play them so "feel" won't count.

Nice to hear how much lighter the Epi is. I guess Gibson has chosen to price it's model by weight. ;)

CompanyGrip

Reaction score
Nicely done demo. :cheers:

Gibby seems to make certain that the Epiphone version is visually just a little bit less attractive which I can only assume is intentional on their part. Once I closed my eyes and used only my ears to judge I found so little difference between them tonally I would never spend more for the Gibson on that basis alone. I didn't play them so "feel" won't count.

Nice to hear how much lighter the Epi is. I guess Gibson has chosen to price it's model by weight. ;)
Haha! 😂 You bring up a good point. I, too, was really surprised at just how similar they sounded. Thanks for checking it out!

3bolt79

Reaction score
They sounded so close to me that, if I get one, it will be the Epi. By the way @CompanyGrip , I chose my Epi Greeny based in large part on your comparison video. Thanks man!

3bolt79

Reaction score
That’s awesome to hear! Thanks! How are you liking it so far?

Cheers!
I love it. It’s my best LP out of the 10 that I have. 7 are Epi’s, 1 Firefly, 1Guitar Fetish Xaviere , and one Gibson Tribute.

I did the Greeny mod on one of my Epi 1959 LP Standards. I flipped the neck pickup magnet and reinstalled the pickup with the pole pieces closer to the bridge.

It’s amazing how many different out of phase sounds you can get just by tweaking each individual volume knobs.

I my try the Gibson version just for fun, but not right away. I have got three new guitars in the last three days.

CompanyGrip

Reaction score
I love it. It’s my best LP out of the 10 that I have. 7 are Epi’s, 1 Firefly, 1Guitar Fetish Xaviere , and one Gibson Tribute.

I did the Greeny mod on one of my Epi 1959 LP Standards. I flipped the neck pickup magnet and reinstalled the pickup with the pole pieces closer to the bridge.

It’s amazing how many different out of phase sounds you can get just by tweaking each individual volume knobs.

I my try the Gibson version just for fun, but not right away. I have got three new guitars in the last three days.
Haha! Three new ones?! That’s amazing! Also, that’s awesome that you did that mod yourself though to your 59. 🤘🏽
Cheers!

Darkness

Reaction score
It probably depends on the model. When I used a heat gun to strip a Classic LP top it literally bubbled up like some mozzarella and I could feel how thin it was when I pressed it back down. I'd say it was just about a credit card thick.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Haha! 😂 You bring up a good point. I, too, was really surprised at just how similar they sounded. Thanks for checking it out!
You're welcome but uh.....you do realize the green ones aren't ripe yet don't you? When they turn cherry red that's when they're most ripe. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts