Strings and things.....

• Thread starter soulman969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maguchi

Reaction score
I was looking for a set of strings that would work well with the humbuckers on my Gibson L4 archtop but also be loud enough to play the archtop acoustically with no amplification. I tried GHS White Bronze Acoustic Electric strings in 12-54 which are supposed to sound good with magnetic pickups but acoustically they sounded weak and not enough volume. Then I went to some 12-54 Martin Monels which sounded great acoustically but the difference in volume was too much between the plain strings and wound strings when playing through an amp. The third set I got seemed to hit the mark. I put on some John Pearse Acoustic 960L Pure Nickel Wound strings in 12-54 and these sounded great acoustically as well as amplified.

When I first put the John Pearse strings on and tuned up to pitch I couldn't believe the amount of unplugged volume and the rich quality of tone from nickel wound strings played acoustically. Not quite as loud as a good dreadnought but plenty of volume and very nice tone. Plugged in the strings sound good just like any other electric with nickel strings with magnetic pickups. I think I finally found a set I can work with.

ArchtopStrings.jpgGbsnL4CESf.jpg

Latest posts