Strings,one at a time or all at once?

• Thread starter Chriso
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
Acoustic light strings (.012" gauge, the most common gauge used) have about 160 lbs. of string tension (as an average, it will vary some), not 250 lbs. Electric guitar strings (.010" gauge, the most commonly used gauge) are less than that; somewhere around 125 lbs. if I recall the numbers correctly. To get 250 lbs. of string tension, you would need heavy gauge acoustic strings, and most guitars will have structural damage if you use heavy strings.

To avoid "shock loads" (not that I believe it is an issue), slack off the strings before removing them, instead of cutting them.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
If someone is paying you by the hour, change them one at a time. :)

These guitars are not built under string tension. So I have a hard time figuring out why, if changing one at a time is necessary, they don't fall apart at the factory before the strings are put on.

I can imagine, if you live in a place like India and leave your guitar outside, that the heat and humidity could cause the bridge of an acoustic guitar to lift under the string tension. In that case, you would never leave your guitar at concert pitch when you are not playing. I lived in Florida too, and I never had a problem with neck warp - and my first guitar was a cheap nylon-string thing that I put steel strings on.

Latest posts