The Epi Les Paul SL thread!

• Thread starter Cam.man67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cam.man67

Reaction score
I see these things are finally in stock at Sweetwater (EDIT:woops! Still only preorder! Guess I got ahead of myself...) and other online retailers! Who's got one? How do you like it? What color did you go with? I myself am torn between yellow and turquoise! Decisions decisions!;)

Let's hear about your SL!

Last edited:

pomaranc

Reaction score
I see these things are finally in stock at Sweetwater (EDIT:woops! Still only preorder! Guess I got ahead of myself...) and other online retailers! Who's got one? How do you like it? What color did you go with? I myself am torn between yellow and turquoise! Decisions decisions!;)

Let's hear about your SL!
Yep, yellow and turquoise look the best, I hope used ones will start showing up for stupidly low prices like used juniors and specials do, I need one! :D
I just wish they had some kind of tremolo, it would fit well with the surf rock vibe IMO :)

Last edited:

pomaranc

Reaction score

Supersonic

Reaction score
If people like them then that's cool, but personally I wouldn't own one of those things if someone gave it to me for free.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
If people like them then that's cool, but personally I wouldn't own one of those things if someone gave it to me for free.

Agreed. It doesn't look like that wrapover bridge has any intonation adjustment at all, and Fender single-coils on an LP body seems like sacrilege. They already make a P90 LP Special, so I'm not seeing the point.

ikeus

Reaction score
I hear a number of others also interested in Epiphone's new Les Paul SL.
Sweetwater has a couple pictures and this has spark my imagination... I am a bit "humbucker. PAF, P90'd" out att so, a pair of single coils on
a Les Paul is attractive as I have a bunch of single coils and enjoy mixing them around.
Hoping that these only have the humbucker cavities and the LP Special control back routing as these would make a gorgeous new
modded LP!!
Anyone have any info?? The Epiphone site isn't aware of these new Les Pauls.

NoBucks

Reaction score

Lets not get crazy here. I really do not care for r the look but if it were free, I'd at least play it a bit before I flipped it.

But, yes, I don't see the point, as someone mentioned, with the P90 LP Special out there. Also, I hate the pickguard.

I find the wraparound bridge to be the least objectionable thing on this guitar. It seems to work just fine on my LP & SG Specials.

pomaranc

Reaction score
Lets not get crazy here. I really do not care for r the look but if it were free, I'd at least play it a bit before I flipped it.

But, yes, I don't see the point, as someone mentioned, with the P90 LP Special out there. Also, I hate the pickguard.

I find the wraparound bridge to be the least objectionable thing on this guitar. It seems to work just fine on my LP & SG Specials.
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense, if it had P90s there wouldn't be much point in making them, but this one doesn't so I don't get that argument. Also it's different and some people like them, so there's your "point" :)

NoBucks

Reaction score
Sorry, but this doesn't make sense, if it had P90s there wouldn't be much point in making them, but this one doesn't so I don't get that argument. Also it's different and some people like them, so there's your "point" :)

Yup, the key phrase is, "I don't see the point."

Your point is, some people like them. My point was, I do not.

My original point was, I don't dislike it to the point that I would turn down a free one. ;)

ikeus

Reaction score
View attachment 4403
An homage to an era for which I have little nostalgia. I believe SL stands for Special Limited. Looks like a good deal at $119 usd preordered from Sweetwater.
I have enough "high quality guitars" but. you know the old adage of never having enough.??!
Those of us that enjoy working on and modding guitars see a real jem here.
Go and price just the bodies and you'll find beat up or unfinished pine bodies starting around $35.00 and the skies the limit on top price slabs of wood. Necks.. ditto's on high prices. $50.00 upwards for decent necks., Hardware, tuner's electrics... $119.00 is a great start and I ve done this with my Special for the same price..
I hope this has the Specials routing and that the pick guard is designed as a cheap mod to this LP.....Possibilities!!
Pre ordered mine in cherry sunburst.

ikeus

Reaction score
Looks interesting, it seems like it could fit without modding the pickguard, too bad they don't ship to my country in the middle of Europe, but of course they ship to Antarctica and loads of places I never even heard of :D I was thinking about short maestro, but even the cheap ones are 60€
Take a look at the Les Paul Express.

pomaranc

Reaction score
Yup, the key phrase is, "I don't see the point."

Your point is, some people like them. My point was, I do not.

My original point was, I don't dislike it to the point that I would turn down a free one. ;)
I think you missed my point. :D
For example, I don't like superstrats, but some people do so I can see why they make them, even though I would never buy one.

NoBucks

Reaction score
I think you missed my point. :D
For example, I don't like superstrats, but some people do so I can see why they make them, even though I would never buy one.

Nope, I got that point, as stated. I hope you find one and enjoy it. :cheers:

Last edited:

ikeus

Reaction score
threads merged :thumb:
Just finished Talking with my Sweetwater Rep.. He told me that they are not expecting delivery of the New Les Paul SL's until the September October time frame.
I am an impatient type. A whole lot can happen in that time frame.... I think I'll build a Special
with the Seymour Duncan SL5 customs.. They sound good.. Mahogany body, maple neck, Hip shot tuners, Not sure on what bridge to use..OH..Shoot!! I have 3 partially built guitars laying around... ... .

Latest posts