The New FAKE Epi thread

Supersonic

Reaction score
I have a 2010 P93 Riviera. It has the Custom Shop Limited Edition thing on the back of the headstock. They are still in production today. That should pretty much tell you everything you need to know about the Epi 'Custom Shop'.

grinwer

Reaction score
Last edited:

Epiphone Fan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Please help I just bought a 98 epiphone Flying V. I’m really hoping im wrong here but
I’ve been looking at other photos of similar Flying V from that age and they all seem to have that rumble strip on the underside to make it easier to play when your sitting down.

mines does not have that strip and doesn’t appear like there was ever one in place.

We’re there ever epiphone flying vs made with out the strip on the bottom.

Epiphone Fan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Please help I just bought a 98 epiphone Flying V. I’m really hoping im wrong here but
I’ve been looking at other photos of similar Flying V from that age and they all seem to have that rumble strip on the underside to make it easier to play when your sitting down.

mines does not have that strip and doesn’t appear like there was ever one in place.

Sorry should have mention it’s a 58 issue Flying V made in feb 1998,

Biddlin

Reaction score
Not being a V fanatic, I don't know, but I suspect that some player didn't care for the bumpy bottom and removed it. My ex-girlfriend went to Brazil for the same thing.

DigitalDreams

Reaction score
Hi Guys

This is my '93, is it this model?
BlackVFront.jpg
If so it didn't come with the rubber strip on the bottom. These are loosely based on the '67. They were made from '89 to '98 with this knob layout but changed in '03 to '05. The '57 style V comes with the rubber strip.

Andrew Butterworth

Reaction score
I am trying to identify an Epiphone Les Paul I purchased 2nd hand about 12-13 years ago. It was an eBay purchase with collection only. It was a woman selling it on behalf of her teenage son who had given up playing. It needed some setting up and I wanted to verify its authenticity so I took it to a local luthier near Manchester where I was living at the time. He took the cavity covers off and said in his opinion it was fake.
I tried returning it but got nowhere and its been in a soft gig bag under a bed since then. Its moved house with us three times. It was originally supposed to be a present for my nephew who had just started playing. We ended up just buying a new one.
I needed a 1.5mm allen key earlier to adjust the bridge on my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro and I knew it was in the Hiscox case under the bed. I got the allen key but re-discovered this Les Paul in the process. I have spent the last hour or so looking at it and I don't know if it is a fake or not.
The truss rod cover definitely looks fake, but the other stuff I am not sure about - the tailpiece bolt heads look correct, the Grover tuners look correct, the volume & tone controls look aligned, the serial number seems legitimate and says its a Chinese model produced in 2003 (EE03045898) , the cavity wiring is neat & clean.
Can anyone confirm this is a fake?

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Yes, it is a FAKE

just to name a few things that are wrong
  • font of serial#
  • cavity routing
  • screw on pickguard
Just that cavity routing alone is gonna give me nightmares. I'm not saying that Epi's of that era are a masterclass in cavity routing, but at least they sharpen the spoon they use to gouge out the cavities.

That's firewood.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I am trying to identify an Epiphone Les Paul I purchased 2nd hand about 12-13 years ago. It was an eBay purchase with collection only. It was a woman selling it on behalf of her teenage son who had given up playing. It needed some setting up and I wanted to verify its authenticity so I took it to a local luthier near Manchester where I was living at the time. He took the cavity covers off and said in his opinion it was fake.
I tried returning it but got nowhere and its been in a soft gig bag under a bed since then. Its moved house with us three times. It was originally supposed to be a present for my nephew who had just started playing. We ended up just buying a new one.
I needed a 1.5mm allen key earlier to adjust the bridge on my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro and I knew it was in the Hiscox case under the bed. I got the allen key but re-discovered this Les Paul in the process. I have spent the last hour or so looking at it and I don't know if it is a fake or not.
The truss rod cover definitely looks fake, but the other stuff I am not sure about - the tailpiece bolt heads look correct, the Grover tuners look correct, the volume & tone controls look aligned, the serial number seems legitimate and says its a Chinese model produced in 2003 (EE03045898) , the cavity wiring is neat & clean.
Can anyone confirm this is a fake?

Welcome aboard Andrew! Its great to have you. Sorry you got scammed but a lot of these scam guitars fool me at first glance.

But on the upside, for someone who doesn’t have a guitar, they would be grateful to have even a fake I imagine.

So did you buy an Epiphone LP with that exact burst for your nephew? I bet he was really surprised. :)

Pat

phonepi

Reaction score
Ha, Guys !

Unlike for Gibson, I didn't know that there would exist fake Epiphones.... :wow:

That said, being Lefty, I'm not too reluctant to buy cheap used fakes on local Craiglists - only due to scarcity of Lefties on some models, that said. But for an Epi ? I don't see... :confused:

So I have suddenly an interrogation about my cheap used LH Epi LPSII "N°1" : Fake or not ?

upload_2021-7-25_13-23-47.png

She has what seems to be a regualr S/N°, but...
upload_2021-7-25_13-25-5.png

... She has a body made from plywood, conversely to my LPSII N°2, which have a solidwood body.

What's your advice, then ? :confused:

Cheers !

phonepi

Reaction score
Fine @Paruwi and @Space1999 - thanks for the input ! :cool:

So my 2 LPS II LH certainly belongs to that category :

upload_2021-7-25_17-42-39.png

upload_2021-7-25_17-43-19.png

In the meantime, I discovered the S/N° code, and it gives :

For my LPS II N°1 - plywood :
upload_2021-7-25_17-45-52.png

For my LPS II N°2 - solidwood :