TV Show Theme Songs

• Thread starter jwguitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    puresalem
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwguitar

Reaction score
I'm guessing you guys never saw the original MASH movie.

What annoyed me about the TV version was that they took what's really a dark song about suicide and desperation and turned it into a TV jingle - complete with that upbeat little musical diddy at the end.

Of course, that wasn't half as bad what happened to the show when they let Alan Alda start writing, producing, and directing the shows and it went from comedy to serious commentary.

But I digress.

I always thought that the theme song was a bit strange for that show. It starts off as a dark sounding song and the last part of it sounds upbeat. It never really sounded right.

Equalphone

Reaction score
I always thought that the theme song was a bit strange for that show. It starts off as a dark sounding song and the last part of it sounds upbeat. It never really sounded right.

Took a song about suicide and turned it into a jingle. Only a TV executive could think that was a good idea.

dasherf17

Reaction score
No, and this is the second time I've heard that. The first person told me watch the movie and it will make more sense. I guess I need to watch it.
I need to ⌚ it again...they were a great ensemble... I wasn't excited when the TV show came out...it grew on me, tho...
I got off on the Bell 47s...

Mike Petras

Reaction score
This isn't the greatest musical masterpiece ever, but it's got to be one of the best known theme songs:

Better known that most people imagine. I read the results of a survey in the early '80s that said(among other weird S***) that while only about 45% of Americans knew all the words to the national anthem, nearly 80% knew the theme song to Gilligans Island by heart,...

Dr Don

Reaction score
I really liked the WKRP end-wrap indecipherable lyrics jingo. I think that and the Monty Python Medieval Agrarian History were two very distinct and well-done pieces of work.

Robb Paholsky

Reaction score
I could go on for hours on this subject.
In the 1980's I was in a "Top 40 Band" that played nightclubs almost every weekend. We would open our 2nd and 3rd sets with a cartoon theme.
"Super Chicken", "Underdog", and "Pink Panther" would invariably bring the house down.
If you're in a working band I strongly advise you add a few cartoon themes to your set.
I recently saw a video from the Rose Bowl half time wherein the entire stadium began singing along to the Phineas And Ferb theme.
As for my own personal favorite, it's hard to claim just one. I know at least 50 P & F songs. I find myself playing, "What Cha Doin", "Vampire Queen" and "Not Knowing Where You're Going", a lot. "Summer Belongs To You" seems to always please a gathering. And my nieces love it when I play the Theme to "My Little Pony F. I. M."
Most recently I've been trying to arrange the theme to the 60's TV show "Wild Wild West" into a 2 or 3 minute acoustic jam.
I'll stop now.

Latest posts