Twisting Knobs

• Thread starter Biddlin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biddlin

Reaction score
trtuyAvvrvtvtqtwrwBvvyCwCxttyyzCywzsMSJQ.jpg
knob-knurled-18mm-black-300x300.jpg

For a long time I was a gigging guitar player and probably put in 30+ hours/week playing. I developed some preferences based on function, rather than appearance. I like knobs that I can turn with my pinky. The numbers I don't care about so much. My current favorites are the knurled knobs on my LP Melody Makers, followed closely by the simple knobs on my N-225.
DSCN1155.JPG DSCN1182.JPG DSCN1281.JPG DSCN1279.JPG
What are your faves and why?

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
knob-knurled-18mm-black-300x300.jpg

For a long time I was a gigging guitar player and probably put in 30+ hours/week playing. I developed some preferences based on function, rather than appearance. I like knobs that I can turn with my pinky. The numbers I don't care about so much. My current favorites are the knurled knobs on my LP Melody Makers, followed closely by the simple knobs on my N-225.

What are your faves and why?

Many years ago I played bass in a blues/rock band. I had those exact same knobs on my P bass. Sturdy, solid and easily located and turned by a pinky or quick finger. Numbers were no factor in use at all.

On my guitars, I prefer the vintage witch hats, color depending on the finish.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Gee those look familiar. :p
Speed Knobulators.jpg
My G400. Nice grip, no poking holes with a soldering iron.

I'm not a Tele knob guy, they've been done a LOT, but there is something to the form factor.
zoom-jpg.5852

p-k310-png.5859

I needed something for a push pull and a Strat knob just wouldn't do.

Of course, you can't go wrong with a Jazzer style knob on an offset.
gir-10102020-3-jpg.12932

Pinky roll city! Plus they look better than the generic white "Strat" knobs that came on it.

I've got something special lined up for the Jag (whenever the Fadd9 it gets here) that I imported from Portugal. No spoilers, but I'm pretty stoked about it because you never see them - at least stateside.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I like those chrome knobs as well. My Teles all have them as do my basses and I actually replace the black plastic ones on my ES339 with them.

Who needs numbers when you have ears, right?

Supersonic

Reaction score
I agree with Raiyn (did I just say that?) on the Tele knob thing. I'm not a fan and it's just been done to death. They have their place for sure...it's on a Tele. They look good on some Strats too but just keep them on Fenders. Ever time I see a Les Paul that someone put Tele knobs on, a little part of me dies inside (I'm sure there are folks here that do that but it's just my opinion, no offense intended). I likes me some speed knobs and top hat bell reflectors. Not for any functional advantage or anything, I just think they look cool.

I've never gotten into the pinky volume swell thing but I definitely admire the players that can do it well. I can't ever bond with a Strat because I constantly hit that friggin' top volume knob with my hand when I'm strumming :rofl:

BGood

Reaction score
I agree with Raiyn (did I just say that?) on the Tele knob thing. I'm not a fan and it's just been done to death. They have their place for sure...it's on a Tele. They look good on some Strats too but just keep them on Fenders. Ever time I see a Les Paul that someone put Tele knobs on, a little part of me dies inside (I'm sure there are folks here that do that but it's just my opinion, no offense intended). I likes me some speed knobs and top hat bell reflectors. Not for any functional advantage or anything, I just think they look cool.

I've never gotten into the pinky volume swell thing but I definitely admire the players that can do it well. I can't ever bond with a Strat because I constantly hit that friggin' top volume knob with my hand when I'm strumming :rofl:
You took the words right out form my keyboard. I like when people do that, saves me from thinking about what I'd reply.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I agree with Raiyn (did I just say that?) on the Tele knob thing. I'm not a fan and it's just been done to death. They have their place for sure...it's on a Tele. They look good on some Strats too but just keep them on Fenders. Ever time I see a Les Paul that someone put Tele knobs on, a little part of me dies inside

maxresdefault.jpg

Resistance is futile puny Earthling. You must surrender your knobs to me!

IGRocker

Reaction score
I use a mix of barrel and top hat knobs, both with ‘thumb cutter’ indicators. They come in handy with how much I play with the volume controls, both at home and live.

Latest posts