Upcoming artist signature models?

Mongol McPhee

Reaction score
Epi seem to really be pushing forward with artist signature models! Anyone know who’s going to be doing a signature guitar next (especially if it will fulfill my Explorer fetish)!

Supersonic

Reaction score

Mongol McPhee

Reaction score
True Bonamassa is everywhere now! Lizzy Hale seems to be popular too! Her Gibson Explorer seemed to shift!

Mongol McPhee

Reaction score
I'd buy an Epi Lzzy Hale Explorer, and I generally despise white and gold axes. If they came out with the "Dark" version I'd be all over that.
I’m with you but the other way round! I hate any kind of Gold doo dahh on a guitar (or anything else)! Chrome for me!

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Maybe Britt Lightning (Vixen)

BrittL%20by%20Brian%20Ronald%20%28used%20with%20permission%29.jpeg

Mongol McPhee

Reaction score
The WWE footage of Lizzy Hail playing a white explorer with Gold trim looks like it could essentially be a Tommy Thayer Explorer with Gold Pimping and an extra pickup cover! I suspect that would work economically for Epiphone! Better to play with an existing design than start from scratch!

The Convert

Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone, but Epi sigs frustrate me in their choices.

For example, I got my hands on a Bonamassa Epi LP from about 6 years ago maybe? Pelham Blue with BurstBuckers. It was a joy to play! I picked it up used, so I'm not sure what it cost new, but it was a great deal for me. I'm guessing it was close to a grand when it came out.

And now, there's the new Bigsby-335 Bonamassa which also looks good, but for a top-of-the-line sig for the brand, I expect more. My Sheraton has a beautiful headstock "vine" inlay, 5-piece neck, and a gorgeous semi-transparent finish. For $300 more for the new sig you get a simple mahogany neck, a license for the Bigsy and a license for Joe's name.

For a grand, I'd expect a Sheraton with BB 1&2 and a Bigsby in terms of quality and features. Now maybe this is an attempt to approximate one of Joe's guitars, but then it shouldn't cost so much. It's basically a flat black 335 pro with a Bigsby. I'd pay...hmmm...$625 for that.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Hey mate, it's been a while , definitely you are not alone in that. I'd rather see some cool production models than play pretend guitars at extra cost.

Mongol McPhee

Reaction score
The other question is how much do you pay for the name alone? An extra £100? Could you get the exact same guitar without the name and either save money or have extra kit?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Could you get the exact same guitar without the name and either save money or have extra kit?
The real question is how "exact" do you want it?
If color wasn't a concern, and special routing isn't involved (Faulkner V), you could create a functionally similar (if not identical / better) axe through modding and come out ahead -doing your own work and having decent Shop-Fu skills.

Having said that, sigs ARE about the person doing the scribbling.
I'd LOVE a Lzzy Hale Explorer, I'm a Halestorm fan.

The Brent Hinds V is essentially how I'd build a V for myself -minus a couple "me" things.

I drooled over the Brendon Small Thunderhorse and Snow Falcon because again - fan.

Could you do it? Yeah, you probably could get close, but would you truly be better off aping the tone of _______ or modding to find your own?

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
On paper, sigs are better spec'd. I sent 4 Matt Heafy customs back to thomann, they were quite a spectacle to witness...
Some were having Issues with Frampton custom as well. (on the other forum).

Dunno, I get that they are outsourcing to multiple factories, but in the end the brand name is the one that suffers.
I would like them to stick to some good stock models and spec them nicely.

The Convert

Reaction score
On paper, sigs are better spec'd.

In my experience, they are better spec'd, but the pricing tends to be market + licensing + artist's take.

By this I mean for example, in the (2012?) Bonamassa LP I mentioned before, it was essentially an Epiphone standard Les Paul with a rarer color (at the time) and Gibson BB's and a nice hard case. The cost reflects much more than the expense of aftermarket parts and case, but my point is, all those parts are made by/for Gibson/Epiphone and there's no reason we should pay full price for them in an OEM product. (It's not the same as licensing Bigsby or Seymour Duncan, etc.)

I could take a $500 Epiphone LP Standard, add $100 for a case, and $300 for a pair of burstbuckers and still get essentially the same instrument for a hundred dollars less--and that's at today's prices.

My point is that the cost to Epiphone for the case and pickups is not $415--it's probably closer to $125; maybe less depending on if they actually make the pickups...then maybe $70.

So yeah, better spec'd, but not at all worth it.

I had an EVH striped guitar for a while. Was not worth the $900. I put a pair of Evos in a used MiM Std HSS Strat. Same craftsmanship quality (probably same factory), and got a guitar I like more...that's more me...for $300 less than the EVH. (And I can play it out without looking like a fanboi.)

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
We don't disagree, It's just that companies are after their own interst first and foremost. Epi could make a killer guitar if they wanted to. Instead they use whatever methods are more profitable to them. (Same for all other companies)

Everything OEM parts is cheap AF to manufacture, as you stated.
Veneers covers whatever woods are used. The result might look uniform, but the quality of the pieces may vary.
As a good example here's an Ibanez made out of (b)asswood.
HFxshU8.jpg

This guitar was painted, and there is a nice knot there, If you could see it, I'm all for it.
Since it's hidden, then an ethical issue arises. You have products of varying qualities priced similarly...

Even the eponymous stuff, could be licensed, instead of being the real deal...

Epis are generally made out of this spieces:
https://www.woodtoworks.com/Meranti-solid-body-blank-unglued-2pc-PREMIUM--Stock-9653_p_18213.html
It's beautiful and there is no need to hide it, if you have good pieces.
quite frankly it's better than the staple fender and ibanez woods (yes even cs stuff) ....

PRS sells 10tops.... everybody in this industry sells nothing for something....
Btw here's how an insane top looks like, and I haven't seen a PRS with something similar...
0cIW436.jpg

All in all, I'm tired of everyone's marketing departments...

Latest posts